Will Perrett's Portfolio

will perrett

I've been active on Alamy for about 3 years.  I've now got over 10,000 images up there, and have sold some 100+ images in that time.   But...quantity over quality?  Is my tagging up to snuff?   Too many similar images?  Any comments/reactions/advice gratefully received!

https://www.alamy.com/portfolio/114375.html

5 hours ago, will perrett said:

I've been active on Alamy for about 3 years.  I've now got over 10,000 images up there, and have sold some 100+ images in that time.   But...quantity over quality?  Is my tagging up to snuff?   Too many similar images?  Any comments/reactions/advice gratefully received!

https://www.alamy.com/portfolio/114375.html

Will,

I've been in this business for too many years.  You have some wonderful images and some not so wonderful images.  I have a pseudonym for my 2cd choice and Alamy could make their system for display of images more clear  Another note; I spend a lot of time researching and captioning images (IPTC).

PS I've been active on Alamy for more than two decades and still have less than 1,500 images, but I run at over 65 licenses a year.

Chuck

Edited by Chuck Nacke
Disxplay
  • Like 1

Will, my view (and this stuff is always subjective) is you have an excellent portfolio.  You have good composition and colour.

Your keywording need a little work. A number of your keywords are generic.   I note, for example, on your UK images, you add the key word “UK”.  If you think about it from the buyer’s perspective, are they likely to just be searching for UK?  The searches will normally be far more granular.  For example, “red telephone box uk”.   If if you look at search terms in “all of Alamy” you will see they are, in general, quite specific.  

My view is to think what the buyer is looking for and key word accordingly.

However, that aside, excellent portfolio. 

• Love 2

Thanks for the feedback.  I must say I was under the impression that having "UK" and "red telephone box" as separate tags worked just the same.  Re the number of images, Chuck certainly implies that less is more, though my experience is that often an image that sells is by no means the one that I would consider the best from a particular shoot, so these days I tend to put all the technically acceptable ones up.  BTW, I'll bet I beat you in the time spent researching and captioning images!!  Even if I don't always get it right!   Again, thanks for your time.

Will

Will,

In response to your "response":  There is no "right" or "wrong" when is comes to IPTC Info,  my opinion.

But your image: KMAOE6,  Why?

I also do not believe that "Less is More, but well selected, well edited and well captioned is more and better."

You are, as well as any forum reader are welcome to give responses to me main Pseudo: https://www.alamy.com/search/imageresults.aspx?&xstx=0&pseudoid={9BC43233-B00D-44A5-A292-DA8E2F8D1A20}&name=Chuck+Nacke&st=11 

Best,

Chuck

Edited by Chuck Nacke
addition

20 hours ago, will perrett said:

Re the number of images, Chuck certainly implies that less is more, though my experience is that often an image that sells is by no means the one that I would consider the best from a particular shoot, so these days I tend to put all the technically acceptable ones up. 

Will

but you can't conclude that you would have not gotten that sale had you only uploaded what you thought was best.  clients buy subjects in the end, plus you now let Alamy algorithm push one higher that might not be your best work ,  so how many sales do we lose because of that?

Edited by meanderingemu

To Will and all,

It appears that my post including the Why? in reference to the photo of the young

girl was not clearly written, I did not even include the correct image #.  For the record

I did complement Will on the few images of his that I viewed, but KMA0EG of the young

girl with little information and no model release did not make sense to me to have been

uploaded? (just my opinion)  No insult was intended, or meant to be implied.

My apologies to all.

Chuck

• Love 1
  • Like 2

Chuck

I will admit that not all my images are out of the top drawer, but the one you select for particular disapprobation is emphatically a strong one, and indeed has won an exhibition prize.  The face fills the frame, has searing eye contact and a winning expression: what's not to like?  You may have heard of street photography.  Strangers, whose likeness you grab à la sauvette.  Thus, almost inevitably, no model release.  As for the lack of information, there were 50 relevant tags and geographically specific caption.  Simple really.

Will

Edited by will perrett
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, will perrett said:

Chuck

I will admit that not all my images are out of the top drawer, but the one you select for particular disapprobation is emphatically a strong one, and indeed has won an exhibition prize.  The face fills the frame, has searing eye contact and a winning expression: what's not to like?  You may have heard of street photography.  Strangers, whose likeness you grab à la sauvette.  Thus, almost inevitably, no model release.  As for the lack of information, there were 50 relevant tags and geographically specific caption.  Simple really.

Will

Will,

I will need to disagree with you, BTW I have never won or entered an exhibition contest, the British Journal of Photography did do a six page story about my photography.

Your anonymous portrait of the girl is "nice", but why would a client license it?  That was the point I was trying to make.  Keep in mind that I am also expressing my own

opinion, one based on decades of experience as a corporate and magazine photographer around the world.  I also did post a link to my personal #1 gallery of images on

Alamy and yes I do have some "turkeys" uploaded there, but they are licensed.

I will tell you that your image is no "Afgan Girl" and I know Steve.  He and Geo both put the image in context, which in my opinion is what makes the image stand out, also

in my opinion it is not one Steve's best images, My portrait of Steve Jobs is also not a great image of Jobs but Alamy licenses it half a dozen times a year?  On another note

my portraits of the Dalai Lama, licensed as often by Alamy were from an exclusive portrait session in Moscow with just my assistant and I and they are licensed often by Alamy as

well as another agency.

It is my belief that most contributors to Alamy may know Light Room and Photoshop and a lot about computers, but very little about the "Real Business" of Photography 

Photojournalism and the people who license images I do not give a Rat's about "street photography" unless it is really great "street photography" I.E. Weegee,

Gary Winogrand, Paul Fusco, etc.

I felt that I went out of my way to politely respond to your request for a response to the images you have posted on Alamy?  You are welcome to contact me directly, this discussion

really should be private, My email is easy to find. 

Sincerely,

Chuck Nacke

• Like 2
  • Dislike 1

8 minutes ago, Chuck Nacke said:

Will,

I will need to disagree with you, BTW I have never won or entered an exhibition contest, the British Journal of Photography did do a six page story about my photography.

Your anonymous portrait of the girl is "nice", but why would a client license it?  That was the point I was trying to make.  Keep in mind that I am also expressing my own

opinion, one based on decades of experience as a corporate and magazine photographer around the world.  I also did post a link to my personal #1 gallery of images on

Alamy and yes I do have some "turkeys" uploaded there, but they are licensed.

I will tell you that your image is no "Afgan Girl" and I know Steve.  He and Geo both put the image in context, which in my opinion is what makes the image stand out, also

in my opinion it is not one Steve's best images, My portrait of Steve Jobs is also not a great image of Jobs but Alamy licenses it half a dozen times a year?  On another note

my portraits of the Dalai Lama, licensed as often by Alamy were from an exclusive portrait session in Moscow with just my assistant and I and they are licensed often by Alamy as

well as another agency.

It is my belief that most contributors to Alamy may know Light Room and Photoshop and a lot about computers, but very little about the "Real Business" of Photography 

Photojournalism and the people who license images I do not give a Rat's about "street photography" unless it is really great "street photography" I.E. Weegee,

Gary Winogrand, Paul Fusco, etc.

I felt that I went out of my way to politely respond to your request for a response to the images you have posted on Alamy?  You are welcome to contact me directly, this discussion

really should be private, My email is easy to find. 

Sincerely,

Chuck Nacke

It's always "I, me and myself"... ah, Chuck?

I'm sorry, I couldn't resist...

Please, forgive us, the human beings.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Ognyan Yosifov said:

It's always "I, me and myself"... ah, Chuck?

I'm sorry, I couldn't resist...

Please, forgive us, the human beings.

To be fair, Chuck initially gave (in my opinion) a considered, polite response to a request for opinions . . . he even stressed it was his opinion only. He went on to apologise if anyone was insulted, stressing it was neither intended nor meant to be implied.

Unfortunaly (in my Opinion) Chuck's opinion was (in my opinion) dismissed with the strawman redirection (in my opinion) of "what's not to like". Chuck was talking about stock photography, others were ignoring that and talking about liking photos . . . I know where my hat lies when we're discussing stock photography . . . my opinion only I should add . . .

DD

• Love 2