Convert Raw to JPEG without shrinking the file

3 minutes ago, jodyko said:

So now when we start quantum that will be . . .

Would life have been simpler if the human race had evolved with 8 digits on their hands and so had developed a base 8 (octal) counting system (instead of base 10) in the first place?

Mark

Edited by M.Chapman

1 minute ago, M.Chapman said:

Would life have been simpler if the human race had evolved with 8 digits on their hands and so had developed a base 8 (octal) counting system (instead of base 10) in the first place?

Wow!

32 minutes ago, M.Chapman said:

Crikey you're right. Oops - I've spent too long in the computer world. You're right. A megabyte of data typically* 1,048,676 bytes, whereas a megapixel is 1,000,000 pixels. I'll correct my last post and a much earlier one in this thread. THANKS!

*I see even in the computer world there's some variation. On this Wikipedia page https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mega- it states

In some fields of computing, mega may sometimes denote 1,048,576 (220) of information units, for example, a megabyte, a megaword, but denotes 1000000 (106) units of other quantities, for example, transfer rates: 1megabit/s = 1000000bit/s. The prefix mebi- has been suggested as a prefix for 220 to avoid ambiguity.

Mark 

Yes this is very confusing. It seems that the old usage has been deprecated and a megabyte is now a simple decimal 1,000,000 bytes whereas a mebibyte now refers to the older octal definition. I strongly advocate using a readout from whatever software one is using and not worrying about any of this. Imagine the confusion - it's bad enough as it is. 😀

12 minutes ago, M.Chapman said:

Mark

In an anthropocentric world perhaps but I am happy with the decimal system. Remember £sd, cwt, lbs and ounces, ergs, furlongs and perches to name a few obscure units of measurement. They still have miles, yards, degrees F and pints in some places I hear. 😀 

32 minutes ago, M.Chapman said:

Perhaps this has already occurred elsewheregrey-alien-hiding-in-the-dark-G8KEGC.jpg

In an anthropocentric world perhaps but I am happy with the decimal system. Remember £sd, cwt, lbs and ounces, ergs, furlongs and perches to name a few obscure units of measurement. They still have miles, yards, degrees F and pints in some places I hear. 😀 

Lbs and ounces still used in the US. Here in Canada, horse racing is still in furlongs (1/8th mile) and Canadian Football is in yards not metres. A lot of cooking is still done is ounces, cups, teaspoons etc.

Jill

Edited by Jill Morgan
Corrected quote

13 hours ago, MDM said:

In an anthropocentric world perhaps but I am happy with the decimal system. Remember £sd, cwt, lbs and ounces, ergs, furlongs and perches to name a few obscure units of measurement. They still have miles, yards, degrees F and pints in some places I hear. 😀 

Isn't the decimal system an anthropocentric system? Why would we be counting in decimal if it wasn't for the 10 digits (8 fingers + 2 thumbs) on our hands? If our counting system had evolved around 8 digits (e.g. 6 fingers + 2 thumbs) then base 8 would have been our anthropocentric counting system and would then have aligned conveniently with a binary 2^n based system which arrived many thousands of years later. Or have I misunderstood?

Mark

Edited by M.Chapman

14 hours ago, M.Chapman said:

Or have I misunderstood?

Mark

Yes I was being literal and thinking about life in a broader sense but nothing to worry about - just rambling and being silly. I don’t know about the origin of the decimal system but I do recall a eureka moment as a small child when a teacher explained that you could multiply by 10s and just add zeros. We used to do a lot of mental arithmetic and working in decimal was so much easier that pounds shillings and pence and so on. This was in primary school before we ever touched on other bases and before I ever heard the word computer. I think all that mental arithmetic has stood me in good stead with photography. For example, I have no fear of calculating a flash exposure mentally although TTL flash is the way to go these days if speed is important. 

On 20/09/2019 at 14:41, M.Chapman said:

Crikey you're right. Oops - I've spent too long in the computer world. You're right. A megabyte of data typically* 1,048,676 bytes, whereas a megapixel is 1,000,000 pixels. I'll correct my last post and a much earlier one in this thread. THANKS!

*I see even in the computer world there's some variation. On this Wikipedia page https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mega- it states

In some fields of computing, mega may sometimes denote 1,048,576 (220) of information units, for example, a megabyte, a megaword, but denotes 1000000 (106) units of other quantities, for example, transfer rates: 1megabit/s = 1000000bit/s. The prefix mebi- has been suggested as a prefix for 220 to avoid ambiguity.

Mark 

I’m heading for the aspirin bottle. You should warn us non-techies before posting X-rated material.

10 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

I’m heading for the aspirin bottle. You should warn us non-techies before posting X-rated material.

Yes, let's stick to the simple recommendation that images submitted to Alamy must contain 6,000,000 pixels or more. No ambiguity and no aspirin required. :)

Mark

• Like 1

2 hours ago, M.Chapman said:

Yes, let's stick to the simple recommendation that images submitted to Alamy must contain 6,000,000 pixels or more. No ambiguity and no aspirin required. :)

Mark

.... but counting all those pixels is tedious!

Paulette

I do remember quite a while ago America decided to go for Kilometres rather than miles and perhaps some extra metrification s. Canada said "we had better do this as well" So in no time at all Canada made the change  but America changed their minds and stayed with miles and their odd sized gallons. So most of N. America does miles while Canada does Kilometres like most of Europe does Kilometres while Britain does miles. At least in N.America they all drive on the same side of the road. Just imagine if Canada went with all the rest of the pink coloured countries of the word map and had decided to drive on the left. All those US/Canada border crossings would have been such fun!

Edited by Robert M Estall