Live news captions.

Just uploaded a set of images and made sure that i followed the instructions that were emailed to contributors on Aug 22nd. This was the instruction

Captions must be in this format (in line with International media preferences):

City or Village or Town where picture was shot, Country where picture was shot. Date the picture was shot - Please spell out the month, we ping to the US and they require this. Who is in the picture - left to right. What is going on in the picture including any interesting facts. Credit: Your Credit/Alamy Live News

For example - Cuckmere Haven, UK. 15 August, 2019. Artist Keith Pettit places the first a series of steam-bent chestnut spheres on the beach at Cuckmere Haven in East Sussex. Made in collaboration with trug maker Charlie Groves, the complex shapes are inspired by the skeletal remains of ancient coccoliths - the calcium carbonate remains that make up the chalk of the South Downs. The exhibition ‘What Lies Beneath’ will be at the iconic coastguard cottages overlooking the Seven Sisters cliffs (pictured). Credit: Jim Holden/Alamy Live News.

So just looked at my images and the format of the date has been changed on some of my images, i uploaded as per the instructions above 'Bath, Somerset, UK. 14 Sep, 2019.' and some have now been changed to Bath, Somerset, UK. 14th Sep, 2019. 

So are we supposed to follow the emailed instructions or do we revert back to using 14th etc?  Does anybody know?

😥  Also noticed i made a mistake of using Sep instead of September. Looking at the news feed there are different variations some people use Sep some use September, some use 14 some use 14th. Can we have a definitive answer on what format should be used? 

Hello John,

First of all nice pictures! 

As for captions, well the definitive answer will have to come from the Live News desk, but since April I've been writing the Date as 14th September as have most of the contributors I've looked at.

If your pictures went live and you didn't get an auto email saying "not what our customers want" you are fine. My understanding is that the caption format follows a strict protocol as it is effectively populating a form. The 14 vs 14th thing might be a tweak to improve visibility to USA desks. I bet an email to live news gets a reply today.

We'll have to say hello one day!

James

• Love 1

Hi James, 

Thanks for the compliment, you got some nice images today too by the looks of it. I think todays route made getting nice clean images a lot harder, last years route was much better photographically.  Yeah we will have to stop and have a chat some day. 

I just looked at the How to sell Live News images' webpage on the Alamy website and saw this 

"The caption needs to be in this format: town/city, country, date (in format 1st April, 2015.), description, credit.

For example: Los Angeles, USA. 1st Apr, 2015. Elton John trips over as he walks along the red carpet at the 101st Grammy Awards Ceremony in Los Angeles, USA. Credit: John Smith/Alamy Live News."                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 I used to always use the format 14th September etc but then my images were changed to Sep so i think i will pop an email off to the live news team to get a definitive answer,. It's not really a big issue but speed is key in this game and i want to be 100% correct so the live news team can concentrate on pushing the images out and not correcting my mistakes.                                                                                                                                                                                                                   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr Standfast said:

Hello John,

First of all nice pictures! 

As for captions, well the definitive answer will have to come from the Live News desk, but since April I've been writing the Date as 14th September as have most of the contributors I've looked at.

If your pictures went live and you didn't get an auto email saying "not what our customers want" you are fine. My understanding is that the caption format follows a strict protocol as it is effectively populating a form. The 14 vs 14th thing might be a tweak to improve visibility to USA desks. I bet an email to live news gets a reply today.

We'll have to say hello one day!

James

lovely pictures from both of you.

hope you don't mind @Mr Standfast but i notice your captions read 9th September 

• Thanks 1

I use date/month/year and spell the month in full, and I rough write out a caption to store in notes on the laptop.

With that in mind (the laptop that is ..), does anyone have a laptop battery charger that is reliable and not expensive ? I've often had to pack up when the laptop runs out of battery .. 

Edited by BidC

2 hours ago, BidC said:

I use date/month/year and spell the month in full, and I rough write out a caption to store in notes on the laptop. With that in mind (the laptop that is ..), does anyone have a laptop battery charger that is reliable and not expensive ? I've often had to pack up when the laptop runs out of battery .. 

I carry a spare battery and also a charger, both purchased from a well known on-line auction site. Just check seller's reviews.

4 hours ago, TeeCee said:

If you've got your car handy, you can run/charge a laptop by using an inverter, lots around from £20.00 upward.

😀

Last time I used an inverter was in a Canterbury carpark. I remember it well, as I accidentally uploaded in a batch of live news images one with no caption, headline or tags. Was the only time I ever received the catch all 'this is not what we are looking for' email. Quickly added the missing text and re uploaded, all was fine.

The newer Apple laptops have fixed batteries, but older, up to 2017 MacBook Airs, have internal batteries held in by 5 screws. When camping and shooting the Tolpuddle Martyrs Festival over 3 days in Dorset last year, I took 2 spare batteries, and held the internal battery in with 1 centre screw, and the MBA's base held on with 2 screws only. When the original battery died, it was easy to fit another. Never used the 3rd. I have seen power banks for charging laptops, but they weren't cheap.

• Thanks 3

7 hours ago, TeeCee said:

If you've got your car handy, you can run/charge a laptop by using an inverter, lots around from £20.00 upward.

😀

Do be careful with cheap inverters, I blew a laptop power supply up a few years ago by using a cheap inverter. Better quality ones produce a pure sine wave as opposed to the modified sine wave of cheaper models, and sensitive electronics prefer the pure sine wave. Better quality inverters will also use less energy. 
Alwasy buy a bigger one than you think you need.
I can recommend Bimble Solar, had PV panels and inverter off them for several projects including when I lived off grid.

• Love 1
  • Thanks 1

On 15/09/2019 at 17:28, Avpics said:

About £20 each I would have thought

Hmm - must not be searching well enough (!) - but EDIT - now I know why. The whole car inverter thing sounds great, but I'd never manage it ! I can tile, paint, rewire a light switch and hang wallpaper, but won't go near a car engine .....

@TeeCee HaHa ! - usually I'm on the bus ... but nice suggestion if I wasn't a bit of a scare-dy cat when it comes to car engines !

Edited by BidC
  • Like 1