I find this 150 character limit so limiting! For some images it is just so frustrating.

Just one example. A photo of six model aeroplanes in a display cabinet at a museum - just no room to give all the details of each in the caption.

North American F 86A Sabre, Republic F-8dF Thunderstreak, de Havilland Canada L - 20A Beaver, etc

3 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

A caption doesn't have to be encyclopaedic- all those names would be in the tags, with higher priority. I'd probably abbreviate the manufacturers' names to initials, which are well known- DHC, NAA and so on.

Sure, I've obviously put them in the keywords. I used those to make my point - obviously quite an extreme case. 

But I do come across this problem very often I suppose because I am photographing specific things in specific places.

I can't really understand why news captions need to be detailed when others do not? 

Edited by geogphotos

4 minutes ago, Jan Brown said:

Nearly made a joke about getting wet in the Bath but resisted the urge.

Keep telling myself I'm going to spend a whole day in Bath taking pictures. Must do that.

Do you miss this area, especially Bath?

Mother in law near Calne so come down often. Don't miss Bath. It has changed so much - like the west end of London now. 

Hope everyone else is enjoying our little chat!

• Love 1

25 minutes ago, Jan Brown said:

I think we exhausted the caption thing, anyway.

Bath's getting ridiculously expensive, too. As you may well know, they did away with the 2 hour free parking on the Upper Bristol Road and it's now a minimum of £6.40 to park in Charlotte Street, on top of which they may be bringing in a £9 fee for driving through the city centre so I'm somewhat disenchanted with the place, too.

Bath sold its soul years ago, and the last thing the council cares about is the locals.

A hot tip for a lovely unspoilt pub -  the  Larkhall Inn a few miles out from the centre off the London Road. 

Photographers seem to like a good old traditional pub and this is one of the best. Or was last time I was there. 

Edited by geogphotos

19 minutes ago, Mr Standfast said:

Well I'm eaves dropping. Lansdowne park

and ride is my favourite car park in Bath.

Lansdown!

I'm not getting drawn into favourite car parks!

But back to pubs.... do you know Tuckers Grave? I have couple of pics on Alamy taken this year but the look is not much different to the pics from 1985. 

Great pub. Bigly.

Edited by geogphotos

1 hour ago, Jan Brown said:

When captioning my photos, I'm limited to 150 characters but I can't help noticing that the captions on some people's photos are way longer than this. Any idea why this should be? Thanks.

Learn the art of getting all relevant words in sentences or fragments of sentences with only one "a" or "an" and "the" in the 150 characters. You don't necessarily need punctuation. I like the challenge. 😀

1 minute ago, Niels Quist said:

Learn the art of getting all relevant words in sentences or fragments of sentences with only one "a" or "an" and "the" in the 150 characters. You don't necessarily need punctuation. I like the challenge. 😀

Stained glass window. You need:

Name and location of the church

Stained glass artist and date, possibly style of art

What is in the stained glass - could be several 'lights' of different biblical scenes.

Would it really hurt to let those who want it have a more generous allowance.

It would not be compulsory and captions are less important than tags to the search engine - I'd prefer to put info in caption and leave out of tags rather than vica versa.

3 minutes ago, Jan Brown said:

I'll bear it in mind, thanks. I used to go to the Boater occasionally just behind Pulteney Bridge, it had its old gas lighting with the  lever switch thingy, I loved that.

That's where I had my first date with my wife. Got there early and sat at the bar watching the mirror behind the optics to see who came in because I couldn't remember what she looked like. Ah the romance!

6 minutes ago, Niels Quist said:

but then it makes it less legible to the customer, so what is the point?  I want to tell them what is in the picture, so they don't have to go through the keywords and or guess.