Clearly not for personal use

Steve Tucker

Question

18 answers to this question

36 minutes ago, Steve Tucker said:

I have an image that has sold recently for a total of $4.84 for "Personal Use"

I have found it being used clearly on a business website. Who should i report this to and are Alamy likely to bother doing anything about it?

Thanks

Report it for sure. Alamy will look into it. Don't count on making any more money, though, but you never know. Not long ago, I reported a PU image that I found used several times on a newspaper website in Eastern Europe. A while later, an editorial sale for the same image and same region appeared in my sales history. The price was lower than the average PU sale. 🙄

P.S. At least the original PU sale wasn't refunded.

Edited by John Mitchell

10 hours ago, Mr Standfast said:

We'd all be interested in how you get on. Please let us know. Good luck.

Don't hold your breath (search for previous threads on the subject).

My latest PU misuse currently followed up by Alamy is by ...... a church. Yes Sir.

This follows 4 PUs misuses by.... my local Council. They paid up for the correct license when chased but they cancelled 2 sales out of 4...

Prior to that, a PU image was used to sell mugs, mats, etc on a market stall. Alamy got nowhere as the infringer stopped responding after a while. He got away with it.

Prior to that, a buyer who licensed a PU contacted me directly afterwards asking for a bigger size, mentioning his graphic designer and commercial campaign. Got adequate redress for that one.

All those bar the last one, I found myself using RSI.

Anyone asking me why I pulled out of PU? I'll anticipate your next question. Don't I get Presentation instead? Sure I do. However they seem to be a lot less numerous and I haven't found any evidence of misuse. Yet. I'm not naive, I'm sure there are.

Gen 

Edited by gvallee
  • Love 1

Okay well I heard back from Alamy fairly quickly and they pointed out there was no PU license for this image.

That bit was my error, having seen $4.84 I jumped to the wrong conclusion and the Buy Image page defaults to PU radio button.

However it turns out the website I linked to had no license for the image so they will "add it to the unauthorised use sheet" I guess holding my  breath would not be recommended

3 hours ago, Steve Tucker said:

That bit was my error, having seen $4.84 I jumped to the wrong conclusion and the Buy Image page defaults to PU radio button.

All the license details are in the Sales History tab. Didn't you go there?

7 minutes ago, Steve Tucker said:

I did but clicked on the thumbnail which takes you to the buy page.

Unless it's RF, the Sales History tab shows all license details. This was my last ever PU before I bailed out:

Usage: Personal use, Personal prints, cards and gifts. Non-commercial use only, not for resale.
Media: Non-commercial, one time, personal/home use
Start: 25 September 2018
End: 25 September 2023

Report it by all means but don't get your hopes up.

I am a big supporter of Alamy but their Unauthorised Use department is consistently the most disappointing part of the business.

Expect to get a message in a couple of weeks saying they sent an email but didn't get an answer so there is nothing more they can do.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Phil Robinson said:

Report it by all means but don't get your hopes up.

I am a big supporter of Alamy but their Unauthorised Use department is consistently the most disappointing part of the business.

Expect to get a message in a couple of weeks saying they sent an email but didn't get an answer so there is nothing more they can do.

Exactly what I've had on the few occasions I've reported a suspicious use.  I'm waiting for something similar at the moment.

Pearl

1 hour ago, Steve Tucker said:

Is it worth pursuing oneself do you think?

I wouldn't know where to start as I don't know what the images were used for, just that they were not appropriate for PU.   Alamy has more information than I do.

Pearl

As I suspected - my answer from CR came today

"This is an update on the personal use query of your image BF93HY.
We haven't had a response from the customer, and our team cannot find the image being used anywhere online outside the terms of the license. 
Therefore we have to assume they have purchased the correct license and are closing the case down."

The image is of a food recycling bin on a pavement.

Edited by Pearl

Well, good news I did notice a second purchase for this a short while back and this  evening received this email from Alamy

"The infringement team have managed to get the infringer to purchase a license for the image use. This should be showing as a sale in your account now."

Not a massive amount but better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick.

Well done Alamy

• Like 2

Reported a PU sale to Alamy just over 5 weeks ago when I discovered it being used on several websites and facebook to advertise a theatre show in the Netherlands running for 4 nights starting later this week, admission price €12,50.

Chased Alamy up 3 weeks ago and got the reply that "Our team are still looking into this – we’ll get in touch when we have further information. ". . . . . . . . I suspect the infringer is simply not replying, though I live in hope! 😟

Edited by AlanW