Identify Images without 10 supertags

Sally

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If you download the CSV you can see if there are no supertags easily. Maybe there's a way in excel/numbers settings to see if under 10 in that column?  

Can someone tell me how to get the Alamy LR plugin please? Thanks!

10 hours ago, Marianne said:

Maybe there's a way in excel/numbers settings to see if under 10 in that column

Yes, there would be though it's not straightforward, I think the easiest way is to 'count' the commas. I use a database program to do the same, very handy.

On 17/05/2019 at 01:49, Harry Harrison said:

Yes, there would be though it's not straightforward, I think the easiest way is to 'count' the commas. I use a database program to do the same, very handy.

What program do you use? Is it something I can get for a MAC? And, if not. lmk anyway. My husband uses various database programs, I might be able to have him run it for me if it's something he knows. 

Edited by Marianne

9 hours ago, Marianne said:

What program do you use

I use Filemaker but it may be easy with something like Access but I've never used that. You can certainly get it for a Mac, it goes back a long way and was only available on a Mac to begin with however a current version is pricy, I'm using an old version. Filemaker is very powerful but actually quite easy to use if you're doing this type of thing.

This page should tell you how to do the same in Excel but I haven't tested it with commas:

https://exceljet.net/formula/count-specific-characters-in-a-cell

It should work, it's a formula that compares the total length of all the characters in the cell with the total length when all the instances of the specified character (a comma in this case) has been removed, the difference would be the number of characters that had been there. 

Someone that uses Excel may be able to give you a better method.

On 18/05/2019 at 20:47, Marianne said:

What program do you use?

Marianne,

I don't know if your husband sorted something out for you but now I've checked I can see that it is very straightforward in a spreadsheet program. I don't specifically know about Apple Numbers but I imagine it works the same. If not and you don't have Excel then the open source office suites such as Open Office, NeoOffice or Libre Office will do fine.

As an example, if the your tags are in column D, as they would normally be then the formula is:

=LEN(D2) - LEN((SUBSTITUTE((D2),",","")))+1

Note the +1 at the end as the last tag doesn't have a comma after it.

Here (SUBSTITUTE((D2),",","")) is the contents of the tags cell when all the commas have been removed.

You can do the same for the Supertags column and also if you so wish add the two results in another column to see how close they come to 50, the maximum allowed I think.

Just for the record it dawned on me that this formula doesn't account for when there are no tags at all when as it stands it would add 1 thanks to the +1 at the end.

The correct formula should be this:

=IF(LEN(D2)=0,0,LEN(D2)-LEN((SUBSTITUTE((D2),",","")))+1)

So in other words it checks if the length is 0 and if so enters 0, otherwise it uses the formula above.

N.B. some programs, Open Office Calc is one, need semi-colons instead of commas, like this:

IF(LEN(D2)=;0;LEN(D2)-LEN((SUBSTITUTE((D2);",";"")))+1)

Edited by Harry Harrison
  • Like 2

Thanks so much Harry - but one important question!  I saw this formula in the links posted but the dumb question I have is, do I enter this as a formula in an empty space at the bottom of the column with the supertags or where do I write the formula? I don't know what my first step is. Do I just substitute it at the end of a column where I'd normally have a SUM formula, or do I do something else? Thanks.

Edited by Marianne

14 minutes ago, Marianne said:

where do I write the formula?

Hi Marianne,

It's quite simple, I'll leave out how to get the csv into your spreadsheet program but I'm happy to help you with that. I'll assume that you've got your spreadsheet open with the column headings as in the csv.

First you need to insert a new column, it can be anywhere but let's say it is to the right of Column D, your 'Tags' column. If you do that it will become the new Column E and shove the others to the right.

Give that new column a heading in Row 1, level with all your other headings, so you know what it is, "No. of tags" perhaps, but anything you like.

Copy the revised formula above into the second row of that new column, it should be cell E2. Hopefully you'll now just see a number, the number of tags for that first image.

Now you need to copy that same formula down right through all the rows of your spreadsheet.

The same principle applies for the supertags but substitute 'D2' in the formula with whatever column has your Supertags. They started out as Column G but now you've inserted a new column they will be Column H, just look in the grey bar at the top.

It probably isn't going to be straightforward if you've never done this type of thing before but hopefully you'll get it to work and then all should become clear.

Thanks. If I have 1083 images, I'll need to change the formula each time. so that it's D2, D3, D4 etc? So cut, paste, change, x 1083? So I might as well just count them. I'm not sure how this saves me time, but perhaps I'm missing something obvious? 

2 minutes ago, Marianne said:

Thanks. If I have 1083 images

2 minutes ago, Marianne said:

but perhaps I'm missing something

Perhaps I should have said, the formula automatically changes according to the row you copy it into so you just paste that one formula down the entire empty column. I didn't want to add too much detail because it starts to look complicated which it isn't.

I actually do this so I can paste all in one go:

I copy the formula, so it is held in memory.

I go to the spreadsheet and choose a column that has data in, column A for instance.

Command/Down on a Mac takes you down to the bottom cell with data in Column A.

I then move across to the empty cell in the new column E and highlight it.

Command/Shift/Up selects  all the cells in that column including E1 where your heading is, so just shift/click on E2 so all the cells in that column from E2 to the bottom of your spreadsheet are selected.

Then just 'paste' in the formula.

Easier to do than explain, very quick for 1000 rows or 10,000 or many more.

Incidentally, I'd forgotten about Google Sheets if you have Google Drive, it works on that.

If you get an error instead of the number of tags then let me know, the formula might need changing slightly depending on what program you are using, semi-colons instead of commas in the first part in fact.

I promise that once you have done it it will seem easy and quick.

One suggestion, you might prefer, instead of inserting a new column, to add the column to the right of all your data, after 'Status' but that way you might not see the tags and the number in the same view.

Next time you download a csv you can just copy the entire column and paste it into the new spreadsheet, just copying the formula down to match the extra images now in your spreadsheet.

By the way, once you've done it then you can if you wish sort the entire spreadsheet according to the amount of tags or supertags, that's very illuminating. Or you can use a 'filter' on that column so you can easily see those with 0 supertags, or 1 or a range etc. etc.

Edited by Harry Harrison

28 minutes ago, Marianne said:

I'll give it a try soon!

Thanks Marianne, I do hope I haven't made it seem too complicated. I was actually hoping that someone else who uses Excel regularly might come in and provide clearer or simpler instructions.

Although I use Filemaker to look at the csv there is a lot of useful stuff to be gleaned from analysing it. I was horrified to see how many of my images had no supertags at all for example so I'm working through these with the aid of the spreadsheet, then I'll tackle those with only 1, only 2 etc. etc. In fact often it will be across a complete upload batch where I've simply done enough in Lightroom to get them on sale then neglected to go back in AIM to address the supertags. Then of course there's all those 'optional' details, such as categories, property, location etc.  - I'll need to look at them as well.

'Filters' are very useful so let me know if I can help with those. By the way I'm certainly not an expert on spreadsheets, it's always been just on a 'need to know' basis for me!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 21/05/2019 at 13:25, Marianne said:

Thanks. If I have 1083 images, I'll need to change the formula each time. so that it's D2, D3, D4 etc? So cut, paste, change, x 1083? So I might as well just count them. I'm not sure how this saves me time, but perhaps I'm missing something obvious? 

Excel will auto-increment the formula as it copies and pastes it into each cell down the column.

Mark

On 20/05/2019 at 18:30, Harry Harrison said:

Just for the record it dawned on me that this formula doesn't account for when there are no tags at all when as it stands it would add 1 thanks to the +1 at the end.

The correct formula should be this:

=IF(LEN(D2)=0,0,LEN(D2)-LEN((SUBSTITUTE((D2),",","")))+1)

So in other words it checks if the length is 0 and if so enters 0, otherwise it uses the formula above.

Excellent. 😀

• 2 months later...
On 18/06/2019 at 16:35, Darryl said:

I would spend the time to supertag all of my images if it wasn't like playing whack-a-mole to get the star to turn blue. 

I think  thats a step worse than me .. I can't download the Excel chart, so the above makes no sense to me :) Not sure why your stars won't 'take' (and turn blue ....) - is it a firewall/software issue perhaps ?

• 1 month later...
On 28/09/2019 at 14:04, BidC said:

I think  thats a step worse than me .. I can't download the Excel chart, so the above makes no sense to me :) Not sure why your stars won't 'take' (and turn blue ....) - is it a firewall/software issue perhaps ?

It's caused by mouse movement. If the mouse moves even a tiny amount as you click, the star won't turn blue. It helps to set a higher zoom level in the browser or turn down mouse sensitivity. If mouse movement is detected, the code assumes that you intended to click and drag the tag somewhere, for example to combine one tag with another. Not sure if it's a problem on all browsers/systems but I certainly see the "whack a mole" challenge on my MacBook running Chrome.

Mark

On 02/11/2019 at 09:01, M.Chapman said:

It's caused by mouse movement. If the mouse moves even a tiny amount as you click, the star won't turn blue. It helps to set a higher zoom level in the browser or turn down mouse sensitivity. If mouse movement is detected, the code assumes that you intended to click and drag the tag somewhere, for example to combine one tag with another. Not sure if it's a problem on all browsers/systems but I certainly see the "whack a mole" challenge on my MacBook running Chrome.

Mark

Same on Windoze using Firefox; Edge; IE and Chrome. If you think a mouse is jittery, try a pen. 🤦‍♂️

wim