Licensing image for printing on currency

Hi,

I can't give much details here, but I've just been contacting by a publishing firm who's designing national currency, and they want to use one of my images on one of the bills. They're asking me for pricing, but I have really no idea, as I've never licensed images for anything like this before.

I feel like it should fetch several thousand $.

Any advice?

Click on the zero images under olive's avatar and you will find that olive has 1609 images posted for sale.

Yes very weird for someone who has been with Alamy since 2005 or so.

wim

Click on the zero images under olive's avatar and you will find that olive has 1609 images posted for sale.

Yes very weird for someone who has been with Alamy since 2005 or so.

wim

I think he will need to logout the forum and re-login to show the number of images.

Sung

I hope Alamy is going to fix this so our image numbers update without our having to log out.

The number in one's archive seems to be so important in the forum though I can see why a fat Zero suggests to many that the poster has nothing to contribute.

Anyway, I wonder if DACS (or foreign equivalent?) might be able to offer a price calculator for such usage. In all my days, I've never heard of such rights being sought - especially by a publishing company - when I'd have thought someone working within the mint would make the approach.

Are you sure it's legit?!

Richard.

I don't know of any currency that is directly based on a photographic image - all the banknotes I've ever seen are some kind of engraving, but there are lot's of countries I've yet to visit.  Does anyone know of an example?

This article http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2013/10/americas-new-100-bill-is-awesome-but-still-nowhere-near-as-awesome-as-kazakhstans-currency/280379/ is interesting, but even Kazakstan's highly awarded banknotes are engraved.  Perhaps someone wants to use the image in question to create a derivative - but that seems strangely honest for the times we live in...

Regards

Lionel

I hope Alamy is going to fix this so our image numbers update without our having to log out.

Paulette

I brought this up in another forum.  http://discussion.alamy.com/index.php?/topic/784-number-of-images-under-member-description/

Allan

I don't know of any currency that is directly based on a photographic image - all the banknotes I've ever seen are some kind of engraving, but there are lot's of countries I've yet to visit.  Does anyone know of an example?

This article http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2013/10/americas-new-100-bill-is-awesome-but-still-nowhere-near-as-awesome-as-kazakhstans-currency/280379/ is interesting, but even Kazakstan's highly awarded banknotes are engraved.  Perhaps someone wants to use the image in question to create a derivative - but that seems strangely honest for the times we live in...

Regards

Lionel

Perhaps they've noted the judgment against the USPS for the veterans' memorial- that was a derivative and the court still found for the sculptor..

Regards

Lionel

Perhaps they've noted the judgment against the USPS for the veterans' memorial- that was a derivative and the court still found for the sculptor..

Perhaps.  I acknowledge this is a little off-topic, but I really wish I had some photos to illustrate this, but I don't - that monument is unlike any other on the mall for the fact that it's well signposted to alert all but the blind to the fact that it's copyrighted.  Perhaps I'll go get some in the next few days.  The real question is how/why the sculptor was able to retain the copyright, and perhaps it has to do with who commissioned it, and who paid for it.  Every other monument on the national mall seems to be in the public domain.

Regards

Lionel

Maybe the end user just wants to licence the image so an engraver can copy it.

Allan

That could well be, but as I said, it just seems to be strangely honest for these times.  Anyway, I hope the OP makes the sale and is paid appropriately - whatever that means.  It might be worth asking the folk who make FotoQuote, Cradoc Software for some assistance.

Regards

Lionel

Regards

Lionel

Perhaps.  I acknowledge this is a little off-topic, but I really wish I had some photos to illustrate this, but I don't - that monument is unlike any other on the mall for the fact that it's well signposted to alert all but the blind to the fact that it's copyrighted.  Perhaps I'll go get some in the next few days.  The real question is how/why the sculptor was able to retain the copyright, and perhaps it has to do with who commissioned it, and who paid for it.  Every other monument on the national mall seems to be in the public domain.

Regards

Lionel

The 3 soldiers monument added to the Vietnam memorial is copyrighted by Hart. It's a well known controversy, because he got $200.000, while Maya Lin only got $50.000 as the winner of the competition (and did not get the copyright). According to Wikipedia Hart donated his share of the profits to a non-profit which provides name rubbings to families of veterans. (No source given).

wim

Maybe the end user just wants to licence the image so an engraver can copy it.

Allan

That could well be, but as I said, it just seems to be strangely honest for these times.  Anyway, I hope the OP makes the sale and is paid appropriately - whatever that means.  It might be worth asking the folk who make FotoQuote, Cradoc Software for some assistance.

Regards

Lionel

Considering that trust is the entire basis for any currency, nicking an image to put on it to save a few quid probably wouldn't be terribly wise...

Sorry I didn't check that zero images didn't actually mean that Olive didn't have anything up on Alamy. My mistake. We really don't have enough information to make a useful guess or suggestion. Big country,little country? Third world or modern industrial? Montage or significant usage? Bottom end $500 but $5000 and rising according to the answers of the above questions.

Used to be we knew a few agents well enough to ring them up and ponder a bit. We don't know each other well enough or trust each other enough anymore, more's the pity. And anything smells of price-fixing is illegal  which also discourages dialogue (in the UK anyway).

Archived