filter for a 28mm - 75mm zoom

Hello.

After some advice (on this forum no less) I made the decision to buy a zoom lens for my new (and as yet still in transit) Sony A7Rii. 

The Tamron 28mm - 75mm

I just opened up the box and im still in that golden zone of just staring at the newness of the thing. I still dont have a camera to attach it to ...

My question is: what is the best filter to get for this lens? I was thinking of something simple to just protect the glass.

I just read this somewhere:

make sure you get the properly designed lens hood for that lens, and use it all the time.
Also - dust never hurt a lens. Just blow it off with a squeeze-bulb blower. I never use a filter for "protection", and in over 40 years have never felt a need to.

DJ

I use a simple UV filter to protect the front element of my lens. Dust never hurt a lens, no. But sometimes I get water drops or spray on there which don't always clean up that well. I would much rather have to polish and clean a disposable filter than my front element. I have also had oily splats on there as well, again much more easily cleaned on a filter. Also, once, my rucksack fell over and my camera with 80-200 f2.8 landed, front end down, on a stone. The filter was cracked and the filter ring bent, but the lens undamaged. You can get people worked up into a fine lather over the image degradation of a filter, but that lens cost you a lot of money and with care it will last a lifetime. Put a filter on it. 

22 minutes ago, DJ72 said:

the camera just arrived. the lens is a good bit longer with the lens hood protector on the end. if i remove this would a filter be a fair replacement or would the lens need the hood? thanks.

the good of the hood https://www.the-digital-picture.com/Canon-Lenses/Lens-Hoods.aspx

If I had to choose between a uv filter and a lens hood, I'd always take the lens hood. But why aren't you going to use both?

DD

2 hours ago, DJ72 said:

thanks Colin and Nigel. I was looking at a Hoya just now - Hoya 67mm Pro-1 Digital UV Screw in Filter (£21 Amazon)

HMC?

DD

3 hours ago, Colin Woods said:

Just to add, get a good filter of course. Filters are very easily faked, so buy either from a shop or a good online dealer. 

Question is how do you tell if it's a fake. I ordered a 46mm HOYA HMC filter from a highly-rated online dealer in Asia (China or H.K., can't remember). The filter looks legit. However, the glass is a bit wobbly, so I'm wondering if it's the real thing. Results seem fine, but who knows.

Its my first day with new set up. The lens is so much bigger with the hood attached. But I hear what you all seem to say about the need for the hood so it stays.

is that Hoya from Amazon worth it? 

3 hours ago, DJ72 said:

Its my first day with new set up. The lens is so much bigger with the hood attached. But I hear what you all seem to say about the need for the hood so it stays.

is that Hoya from Amazon worth it? 

Yes. That is good. Wex have them for £36 new so that is good and sold direct by Amazon so authentic presumably. These Pro-1 filters used to be a lot more expensive before Hoya brought out their new range a few years ago. Definitely buy that. As others have said, the lens hood is not a protector although it can help that way. It is primarily intended to reduce flare. The UV filter will protect the lens from scratches which believe it or not do happen.

6 minutes ago, DJ72 said:

Thanks, I have just ordered the filter! Really tempted to ditch the huge hood once the House arrives but I will try not to. 

I wouldn't ditch the hood. When the lens is not in use they usually slip over the lens barrel. In use they will help to minimise flare unless you are shooting directly into the sun, and can protect the lenses filter thread (and front element if no filter) if the lens takes a knock. I use a quality filter and hood, the only time the filter usually comes off if shooting tripod mounted long exposures at night. Then an extra layer of glass can cause flare from bright lights.

OK sb photos, I wont ditch the hood! I promise.

My last camera was the dinky and lovable Sony RX100.....so having this beast move in, i cant help but try to minimise the length. 

I can carry my RX in my pocket. With the hooded A7 it feels like I have an extra arm. 

3 hours ago, DJ72 said:

OK sb photos, I wont ditch the hood! I promise.

My last camera was the dinky and lovable Sony RX100.....so having this beast move in, i cant help but try to minimise the length. 

I can carry my RX in my pocket. With the hooded A7 it feels like I have an extra arm. 

Maybe shop for a simple 3-stage rubber lens hood?

Eur 2.25 on ebay.

(EUR - you're not disclosing your location.)

wim

edit: 3-stage rubber lens hood means collapsible.

Archived