Changes to the forum - March 2019

Hi all,

As you may have noticed, we're making some changes in the layout and organisation of the forum. 

Please familiarise yourself with the new guidelines and post any suggestions for future tweaks and development into the suggestions area.

The biggest change is probably in the "Community Support: Ask the Forum" section, which is now setup specifically for support questions and answers. 

Whilst we all get used to the new layout, you might find us moving posts around to the correct place if they have been posted somewhere else. We are also looking at archiving the older posts to a separate area that will still be searchable. We've got a few other ideas as well, but that's for another day...

We're committed to making the Alamy forum work for you all in the best possible way through collaboration, support and shared experience.

Cheers

James Allsworth

Contributor Experience Manager

• Alamy featured and pinned this topic
  • 3 weeks later...

I find the new category front pages frustrating. Sometimes they show the old style list of threads showing the latest person who has posted and when so you can go straitght to the latest post (and you know if it is from someone whose posts you enjoy or value). Other times it is a list with just the count  of answers and no way to go straight to the latest post. Am I missing somnething, a setting perhaps?

Anyone else finding the new forum category front page very user unfriendly?

Martin

When I go into the community category page I get just the headline, filter by, sort by which usually shows number of answers. That's it, I am trying to share a screen dump.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!ApTZmjkOogN_if5I7BbfCpSz0ILsYg

May be visible there, I don't seem to be able to insert it as an image from OneDrive.

17 hours ago, Martin P Wilson said:

Anyone else finding the new forum category front page very user unfriendly?

Martin

Yes.  Hate the new forum layout.  It's a classic example of changing something which didn't need changing.

I hate the new layout. I guess that’s one way to stifle the forum, as we slink away in disgust. Actually, whoever designed it should slink away in shame.

I’m glad this was mentioned so I could vent. 😊

First, messaging was taken away. Now people who have posted images for ages are struggling with how to insert an image. Enough that reading the threads keeps me from even trying.

Now, this horrible interface.

If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Regression, anyone?

Betty

On 24/03/2019 at 18:17, Martin P Wilson said:

When I go into the community category page I get just the headline, filter by, sort by which usually shows number of answers. That's it, I am trying to share a screen dump.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!ApTZmjkOogN_if5I7BbfCpSz0ILsYg

May be visible there, I don't seem to be able to insert it as an image from OneDrive.

You're viewing the support Q+A forum which is set up for questions and answers, hence the modified display.

The other forums are organised as normal and are the sections are designed to make it easier to post in a relevant forum and provide support and discussion.

Thanks

Alamy

On 08/03/2019 at 15:51, Starsphinx said:

Hey guys new boards are up and I managed to get the first thread on one (am looking smug).  I will leave the other new one for someone else to christen.

You do seem to take pride in getting your name in the forum. Many of us have got things backwards - we're trying to look smug by selling enough images to join the 100K club! :)

4 hours ago, Steve Valentia said:

You do seem to take pride in getting your name in the forum. Many of us have got things backwards - we're trying to look smug by selling enough images to join the 100K club! :)

I just manage to look very surprised whenever I get a sale - on here or anywhere else lol.  I have learned the hard way to set my sights way lower and much much slower or I end up very ill again.  Unfortunately for others, it tends to mean rather a lot of me on forums as my brain which still tries to run at previous speeds, gets over excited at things and I am like a new puppy just trying to meet everyone at once.

7 minutes ago, Starsphinx said:

I have learned the hard way to set my sights way lower and much much slower or I end up very ill again.  Unfortunately for others, it tends to mean rather a lot of me on forums as my brain which still tries to run at previous speeds, gets over excited at things and I am like a new puppy just trying to meet everyone at once.

I taught Mental Health / Psychology subjects at universities for many years. Without wishing to pry into specifics of your situation, I would say that it's possible to set your sights higher and aim for what you really want. You just have to learn to live with disappointment. I was once asked what encouraged me. I said...people who try to discourage me.

1 minute ago, Steve Valentia said:

I taught Mental Health / Psychology subjects at universities for many years. Without wishing to pry into specifics of your situation, I would say that it's possible to set your sights higher and aim for what you really want. You just have to learn to live with disappointment. I was once asked what encouraged me. I said...people who try to discourage me.

It's not actually the mental health that is the issue - I have fibromyalgia.   If I push myself too hard (which I am inclined to do - when I became ill over 15 years ago I was a mother of 4 on a fast track career path to higher management having been a stay at home mum until the youngest was 4)  I crash and burn, and end up taking super strong painkillers every 2 hours still only able to nap for 20 minutes at a time before the pain wakes me again.  Possibly followed by localized temporary paralysis.  
I am just grateful that it is not as severe as some people have it - it is manageable if I am careful and no not overdo things.  The changes to the benefits system are giving me a real chance to become at least partially self-supporting again because there is no longer the old 16-hour rules which I simply could not manage despite repeated attempts.  Over time through stock and microstock by taking photos when I can I will hopefully be able to create an income that is less affected by the days and weeks when I cannot do anything.  

If my health had not gone the way it did the chances are I would never have had the opportunity to get properly into photography - there are always compensations.  The camera has let me see things and experience things in a totally different way - and photography is a wonderfully wide field that can keep my brain occupied learning new stuff.  Plus there is always the chance of that UFO landing in front of me and Elvis riding Shergar out of it.

• Alamy unfeatured and unpinned this topic

Archived