Poor Discoverablity

You might want to look at some of your captions, which are a little too generic, for example "India 2011 travel images" and "Bangkok to Chiang Mai railway market". Buyers want to see a description of what's actually in each individual picture.

Alan

You also have "Chiang May Railway Market" on some images that are not a market. Incorrect information can do a lot of harm. Don't forget you need to deselect an image before moving to the next one or the information will carry over. One of the worst things about our image manager.

Paulette

10 hours ago, Hannah Millerick said:

Awesome Thank-you.

I have since worked on the images again and I am in the green! Finally.

But, as I said, it's best ignore discoverability, it's not necessarily a good thing to get into the green! Only keyword with tags that are appropriate. Adding extra tags just to reach "green" discoverability risks hurting your CTR and driving down your Alamy rank.

It's about time Alamy removed, or at least modified the discoverability feature.

Mark

On 05/02/2019 at 09:33, Hannah Millerick said:

Awesome Thank-you.

I have since worked on the images again and I am in the green! Finally.

Many of your keywords aren't visible in your images. For example, you have pics of muffins with the ingredients listed, most of which aren't visible in the image (they may well be in the muffins, but we can't actually see that)

In C2040D you have 'bouquet' though none is visible, also relationships, sisters, sisters in field, models in field, girls in field, pretty girls, (there's just one model in the photo), wedding, wedding party, elementary, exams, wildflower, wildflowers, floral, flower girl, flowers - all of which are irrelevant to your image. All that does is annoy potential buyers who do want to see e.g. flowers, exams, a wedding party etc.

Don't worry about the stupid discoverability thing.

Alamy themselves don't believe in inserting irrelevant keywords, and in their example video they have far fewer than 50 keywords and fewer than 10 supertags.

Hi Hannah,

Incorrect keywords will harm your alamy rankings and put your images lower in the searches.  For example, with your image of a woman selling jewellery at a market stall C0755N,  all of the keywords except a couple are about food and are irrelevant to the image.  Potential buyers won't be impressed if such an image pops up when they are searching for one of those keywords, like "grilled food" "Indian food" and "vegan diet".  Be sure to check each image to make sure irrelevant keywords haven't been added (accidently or not).

Maria

12 hours ago, Cryptoprocta said:

Many of your keywords aren't visible in your images. For example, you have pics of muffins with the ingredients listed, most of which aren't visible in the image (they may well be in the muffins, but we can't actually see that)

In C2040D you have 'bouquet' though none is visible, also relationships, sisters, sisters in field, models in field, girls in field, pretty girls, (there's just one model in the photo), wedding, wedding party, elementary, exams, wildflower, wildflowers, floral, flower girl, flowers - all of which are irrelevant to your image. All that does is annoy potential buyers who do want to see e.g. flowers, exams, a wedding party etc.

Don't worry about the stupid discoverability thing.

Alamy themselves don't believe in inserting irrelevant keywords, and in their example video they have far fewer than 50 keywords and fewer than 10 supertags.

(jumping in)

this is great, Thanks.

what i am never sure, is keywords that are not necessarily visible but might be relevant to an image.  Is it appropriate for example on an image of someone going through garbage to find empty bottles to include keywords like "poverty", "unemployment"?  

2 hours ago, meanderingemu said:

what i am never sure, is keywords that are not necessarily visible but might be relevant to an image.  Is it appropriate for example on an image of someone going through garbage to find empty bottles to include keywords like "poverty", "unemployment"?  

Yes, 'concept' keywords are very worthwhile, as long as the picture truly captures the concept. Think of what a picture buyer might have in mind when searching for that concept. In the case you describe I think poverty would be good, also austerity. I'm not sure about unemployment, as I think buyers would be looking for something a little more specific like queues outside a job centre, but I guess if it's a really powerful picture it could work.

Alan

6 minutes ago, Inchiquin said:

Yes, 'concept' keywords are very worthwhile, as long as the picture truly captures the concept. Think of what a picture buyer might have in mind when searching for that concept. In the case you describe I think poverty would be good, also austerity. I'm not sure about unemployment, as I think buyers would be looking for something a little more specific like queues outside a job centre, but I guess if it's a really powerful picture it could work.

Alan

thanks.  makes sense.  yeah didn't use "unemployment" in the end , but had considered it since it was in Croatia which has rate about 50% about it's neighbour EU countries , but realised i was  editorializing which i am starting to clean up , that's the job of the buyers

8 hours ago, MariaJ said:

Hi Hannah,

Incorrect keywords will harm your alamy rankings and put your images lower in the searches.  For example, with your image of a woman selling jewellery at a market stall C0755N,  all of the keywords except a couple are about food and are irrelevant to the image.  Potential buyers won't be impressed if such an image pops up when they are searching for one of those keywords, like "grilled food" "Indian food" and "vegan diet".  Be sure to check each image to make sure irrelevant keywords haven't been added (accidently or not).

Maria

Thank-you Maria. 

2 hours ago, meanderingemu said:

thanks.  makes sense.  yeah didn't use "unemployment" in the end , but had considered it since it was in Croatia which has rate about 50% about it's neighbour EU countries , but realised i was  editorializing which i am starting to clean up , that's the job of the buyers

Not for the OP but just a thought for  meanderingem. I'm also new to Alamy so I may be wrong but I notice that for many of your Japanese images you don't have Japan in the caption or keywords, you do have it in Location. I have a feeling that the optional Location field may not be searched and in any case won't have the prominence of caption or keywords.

Happy to be corrected on this. Since Alamy abandoned the 'Auto-fill' location I wonder how useful this Location field really is, tend to do it anyway though.

On 07/02/2019 at 13:06, meanderingemu said:

ok . off to work i go.  thanks.  

Hannah, I hope I didn't scare you too much when mentioning irrelevant keywords.

I see you've just loaded some pics of nice drawings of Australian birds, but the caption on each is only 'colourful bird drawing', and the species name was missed out of the two I looked at (an Australian Bustard, (which is my 'new thing learned' for today as I didn't know there is a Bustard in Oz - so thanks for that!) and a Splendid Fairy Wren, neither of which have the species name in the keywords. You should put the species name, and the scientific ('Latin') name for each species in both the keywords and the caption (the caption is searchable), and arguably the family as a separate keyword. So I'd put Australian Bustard, Ardeotis australis and Bustard in the keywords, and the first two in the caption.

I wouldn't put 'Australian birthday card' as a keyword, though, as although it could be used as an Australian birthday card, that's not what the image shows. I would, however, put Australia in the keywords, also bird. You could write much better captions, I'm sure.

9 hours ago, Cryptoprocta said:

I wouldn't put 'Australian birthday card' as a keyword, though, as although it could be used as an Australian birthday card, that's not what the image shows.

Indeed. Think about the buyers. Someone wanting a picture of a birthday card is unlikely to need a specific bird image, and someone looking for a bird picture doesn't really care whether it's a birthday card. So what I would do in the circumstance is take another photo of the card showing it clearly as a card, and caption and keyword that one differently. Then you've covered all bases without hurting your CTR.

Alan

Archived