Any advice about my trip to the Falkland Islands?

Next week I leave for a two week photo trip to the Falkland Islands. Penguins! If you have any tips I'd love to hear them. One friend of mine wants me to take some video because the penguins are so funny when they walk. I have never done any video. I guess if I put the camera on a tripod and press the video button I will get something but it would be nice to hear some advice. I'm not thinking about selling video though I don't think I should eliminate the possibility. I will be using the Nikon D500 and D7100. Also the RX100 for brief times we are in towns. I share my images with friends using my Zenfolio account and I see that you can upload video there. I'll have to explore that when I get home. I am excited and nervous about the trip. We will not be in vehicles and I have some worries about how far I can walk with a heavy backpack. I think we will not be rushed, at least. No getting in the vehicle at 5AM. Though I guess getting out at sunrise will still be the goal.

Paulette

13 minutes ago, Robert M Estall said:

I should seek and heed advice about cleared and uncleared minefields. The Argentines laid a hell of a lot of them. Enjoy the penguins!

Yes, I'd imagine 'Beware of the mines' warning signs would be a useful stock item, but be careful!

If you are doing video a tripod is a must if you want steady footage. If any of your tripod heads has a fluid dampening on the panning head it will help get to get smooth movement. If you are shooting in bright light you may need an ND filter to get your shutter speed down while maintaining your desired aperture - if you are shooting at 30FPS you should aim for a shutter speed of 1/60. Finally, use manual focus or get a fix on focus using auto then switch to manual focus while actually filming. Autofocus on video tends to move in and out of focus as the subject shifts and the AF hunts. A good quality video camera might autofocus well enough for it to be OK, but I usually use the AF and switch to manual method.

ETA. I will be very interested in hearing how you fare on video with the RX100 (especially if it has 4K video) as I have wondered about getting one for this purpose. Note: if you do shoot 4K it will produce very large files and probably occupy a good amount of your PC processing power is you process it. 

A relative of mine lives in the FI and was telling us last summer that one of the big problems is the disruption to wildlife that (mostly cruise ship) tourists cause. I suppose what I'd suggest is to take seriously local advice about where to go and how close to get.

As AvPics says, apart from the creatures, those minefields possess a somewhat different jeopardy.

Richard.

Disruption to Fauna as well, people don't realise how slowly things grow down there, lots of damage has been done by tourists on South Georgia, they don't realise that the plants or heather etc they crush while walking takes years to recover due to the slow growth rates due to the climate. 

I've been there many times and it is a fabulous place, the wildlife is very trusting apart from the feral cats left over from the whaling days, they are not tame! As for the minefields, they are marked on maps and over the years the local sheep have cleared a lot unfortunately for the sheep.

Enjoy the trip.

Andy

1 hour ago, Russell said:

I would recommend plenty of spare batteries, and a "powerpack" and suitable USB battery chargers. Worked for me in Africa on safari.

Be careful with batteries & powerpacks. Most airlines prohibit them in checked luggage. Guess your hand luggage will already be maxed out.

Have a great trip and don't forget a hat to keep off the wind.

Well, yes, the luggage situation is dire. Supposedly only 44 pounds once we get to the Falklands and are flying in tiny planes. I will have to repack (in the airport) so I can leave my heavy bag behind and just use a duffle and wee carryon. I'll probably have to wear the same clothes every day. I'm not going on a cruise ship. We will be seven photographers and have been given instructions on keeping back from wildlife. Apparently the penguins often approach on their own. I doubt that I'll try the video on the RX100. Seems iffy. Thanks for all tips and comments.

Paulette

Archived