Lightroom file capacity

Good morning all,

Quick question...

I use Lightroom 5 and at present see no reason to up grade. But what is max capacity for "All pictures"....if any...???

I do regular spring cleans moving pic files onto back up hard drives and end up with average working total on catalogues of 20,000 files...

Was just curious as to what limits are..???

Thank you

Sparks

1 hour ago, sparks said:

Good morning all,

Quick question...

I use Lightroom 5 and at present see no reason to up grade. But what is max capacity for "All pictures"....if any...???

I do regular spring cleans moving pic files onto back up hard drives and end up with average working total on catalogues of 20,000 files...

Was just curious as to what limits are..???

Thank you

Sparks

Here is the answer :) (from Lightroom Killertips (Kelby))

How Many Images Can You Have in One Lightroom Catalog and Have It Still Perform Well?

I am not 100% sure how it works, lightroom doesnt store files so the amount of files makes no difference to lightroom and the lastest version is alot faster then the version you use. I back up very Friday after learning the hard way and losing 5000 images. I have 46,000 images on 2 1TB external drives .

3 minutes ago, Inchiquin said:

Are you going to throw a party when you reach a million?

Alan

It'll be on the end of the pier.  And you'll have to pose (and sign a model release).  The good news is that you're guaranteed to be in the paper next day!

I had until beginning of 2018 a catalogue of over 225.000 pictures, although workable... not fast enough imho... so I started a new catalogue for 2018 and have around 33.000 pictures...

Frankly, as much as I like using LR and it’s workflow, it’s painfully slow batch editing, switching between pictures etc... and I have, I would say a pretty powerfull machine i7 6700k, 16gb ram, os and software on a m.2, LR catalogue and recent pictures on an SSD, gtx 1060 6gb graphics card etc all in large case that’s well cooled... and reinstalled the all system recently... normal resolution monitor...

yesterday I moved a bunch of folders from the SSD to an archive drive (internal WD black...), took about 10x the time it would have taken Windows to move the files... and it scattered my files all over the place, some files where not copied (had alot of error msg’s), other well but not in the right folder... a real nightmare... not even close to have solved the issue...

spend too much time with adobe customer care who couldn’t help me...

anyway, seriously disappointed....

I just moved 36,000 odd images from my internal drive to an external hard drive. It LR a while to connect everything, but it worked fine. If I remember rightly the recommendation is not to use a lot of different catalogs as it can cause problems, but I may well be wrong about that.

3 hours ago, Sally said:

I just moved 36,000 odd images from my internal drive to an external hard drive. It LR a while to connect everything, but it worked fine. If I remember rightly the recommendation is not to use a lot of different catalogs as it can cause problems, but I may well be wrong about that.

You are wrong about that :mellow:. Lightroom doesn't know or care about how many catalogs one has although one might get confused if one has the same files in different catalogs. One reason to keep different catalogs is to back them up rapidly. Writing off the metadata as xmp files also means one can be independent of the catalog and ultimately Lightroom.

There is no limit on the number of files either. I wonder if Michael Jacob's problem could be to do with anti-virus software. Might be worth disconnecting from the internet, turning off the anti-virus and seeing if it makes a difference. There was a similar post a few months back which I think may have been related to anti-virus software on a Mac (supposedly unnecessary anyway). 

6 hours ago, Michael_Jacobs said:

yesterday I moved a bunch of folders from the SSD to an archive drive (internal WD black...), took about 10x the time it would have taken Windows to move the files... and it scattered my files all over the place, some files where not copied (had alot of error msg’s), other well but not in the right folder... a real nightmare... not even close to have solved the issue...

I have never experienced that but I find it is better to move the files with the OS (Mac High Sierra now in my case) and then reconnect the files after moving. When Lightroom can't find a folder it asks to find it and this is simple - just point it in the right direction. It retains the previews and everything else. I frequently do this also when travelling (move files onto my laptop and then move them back onto my desktop). It is much better than syncing catalogs or the like I find. 

Archived