New laptop help

My Dell laptop, which i use when travelling, is is starting to beep (continuously with black screen) when i power it up. If

i turn it off and on again, it fires up and runs all day without any problems. I`ll be in the UK for 2/3 weeks in August, planning to upload

images from a couple of events for live news. May need to make an emergency purchase if laptop dies.

Anyone spotted any good mid-price offers on laptops in the UK? Something that will handle Lightroom

Thanks

Joe

I'm in almost the same boat as you - I'm using my step-daughter's lappy at the moment and need to buy something myself before she goes back to school. Will follow this thread with interest.

2 hours ago, Joe said:

My Dell laptop, which i use when travelling, is is starting to beep (continuously with black screen) when i power it up.

Have you tried asking Dell?

The amount of beeps is it's way of telling you what's wrong with it. It's a bit like Morse code with long and short beeps.

Dell beep codes here.

wim

2 minutes ago, wiskerke said:

Have you tried asking Dell?

The amount of beeps is it's way of telling you what's wrong with it. It's a bit like Morse code with long and short beeps.

Dell beep codes here.

wim

Thanks, Wim. I had a look at the Dell beep codes. They list possible problems with beeps from 1 to 8.

Mine ( Inspiron 15R SE 7520 ) just keeps beep- beeping until i hold down the power button to turn it off. Possibly a hard drive alarm according to one forum.

My battery has died, so laptop is permanently plugged in. Could be the problem? Will look for a new battery when i`m in the UK.

10 minutes ago, Joe said:

Thanks, Wim. I had a look at the Dell beep codes. They list possible problems with beeps from 1 to 8.

Mine ( Inspiron 15R SE 7520 ) just keeps beep- beeping until i hold down the power button to turn it off. Possibly a hard drive alarm according to one forum.

My battery has died, so laptop is permanently plugged in. Could be the problem? Will look for a new battery when i`m in the UK.

With an i7 and 8GB RAM? That's not a bad laptop feature wise. However it has no IPS screen, which would make it unsuitable for photo editing other than looking for sharpness and keepers.

If it had an IPS screen I would have exchanged the HDD for an SSD. I have done that with my really small laptop, which I only use to store images and check for focus or anomalies while traveling. The fact that it already had one USB3 port helped as well.

So I think you're right wanting to replace it.

Here (in Holland) I use a configuration tool on a site that compares and reviews features and prices (dutch only). There must be some of those in the UK. In the US I use Newegg, but that's a store, not an independent price comparison. Oops, you may be in France? Sorry, I have no idea about sites over there.

wim

4 hours ago, Joe said:

Something that will handle Lightroom

Bear in mind that Lightroom CC can only be installed on 2 machines at a time so if one of those machines dies then you need to contact Adobe to get it 'removed' from that computer in order to install it on the new one.

40 minutes ago, AndrewP said:

Bear in mind that Lightroom CC can only be installed on 2 machines at a time so if one of those machines dies then you need to contact Adobe to get it 'removed' from that computer in order to install it on the new one.

You can de-activate a computer on the adobe website under "manage your subscription" - gets it done immediately. Just did it myself after having built a new desktop.

47 minutes ago, Martin Carlsson said:

You can de-activate a computer on the adobe website under "manage your subscription" - gets it done immediately. Just did it myself after having built a new desktop.

Thanks, Martin.

Joe

For laptops I prefer LENOVO's

I still have working LENOVO laptops going back

to a T-21, My favorite is my T-62 and I have

a T-420 on my desk as a backup for my DELL

desktop.  All of my LENOVO's are older that

ten years and if I call LENOVO tech support

they help me fix the problem that I am calling

about and never ask for a payment.  I have

not had a pleasant experience with DELL, even

though I have a collection of them....

Chuck

5 hours ago, Chuck Nacke said:

For laptops I prefer LENOVO's

I still have working LENOVO laptops going back

to a T-21, My favorite is my T-62 and I have

a T-420 on my desk as a backup for my DELL

desktop.  All of my LENOVO's are older that

ten years and if I call LENOVO tech support

they help me fix the problem that I am calling

about and never ask for a payment.  I have

not had a pleasant experience with DELL, even

though I have a collection of them....

Chuck

Interesting - I'm looking to buy a Dell but was told about Lenovo. Worth a look?

I'm currently using an Asus Zenbook 410 with 14 inch ips display, i5 processor and 256gb SSD, it also has 3 USB ports and sd card reader. Not the best battery life if this is an issue for you but is adequate for me.

• 4 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Bear said:

Colblimp, did you decide on a laptop?  I'm an old Dell user, looking also....

I did decide - I bought this one.  It's super fast, perfect for everything I do - processing, event printing, Alamy, etc.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B077Y6VP62/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If I were shopping for a new laptop and just needed one for on the road, I would consider the super light Microsoft Surface.  Probably not great for editing photos but works like a tablet and has a USB port and real keyboard.  My brother-in law has one and travels more than he is home and loves his (tho he is not a photographer).

Archived