What's the technique for getting `cropped' images through QC?

Whenever I crop an image it always seems to fail QC (even if I get past the size barrier). Surely there are images on here that have been re-sized?.  is there a technique or protocol to follow?

I had this problem this morning. I had to ditch a cracker of a Leopard at the zoo because there was a black line along the top of the image. QC would have called this a problem but it was the ceiling of the enclosure it was in. I cropped it but knew it wouldn't meet their standards so up to flickr it went. I could have cloned out the top of the image right enough in PS. 

As long as you're cropping and/or rotating so your image stays above the minimum 24 mb size, why would the image fail QC if it meets all other requirements?

If after cropping/rotating, you had to up-rez to get to 24 mb, you might risk all the faults (like SoLD) when we oldtimers had to endure with the old minimum size of 48 mb files.

My trusty old 10 mp camera puts out a 28 mb file. I have had no trouble with QC when I crop images to file sizes of say 24. 3 mb.

Please enlighten us, what reason is Alamy giving for the fail after cropping?

Dave

I crop all the time - whether it's to straighten a horizon or to improve composition.  I have a little chart taped to my computer....I shoot Canon

Smallest for Alamy (a little larger than 8 MP Canon) => 3604 x 2403

Twelve MP (Canon 5D) => 4368 x 2912

Eighteen MP (Canon 7D) => 5184 x 3456

I don't worry about anything bigger - I shoot with cameras that produce images between 18 and 40 megapixel in size.  I try as much as possible to keep it above 12 MP as I submit to various other agencies that have this size set as a minimum.  Every once in a while, I have to get down to 8mp for the composition I want or because I'm working on older images.

In the bad old days when the file size limit was much bigger and just about every shot had to be resized, didn't Alamy recommend using the Bicubic Smoother algorithm in the resize dialog box?

Yes- they used to recommend using Genuine Fractals and if that wasn't available then Bicubic Smoother.  Those images were just about the Canon 1Ds images size of 16.7 megapixel.

I still use Genuine Fractals 5 - it's years old but works fine and I've never had problems with QC as a result. It's very good, but there are limits and I have rejected a few images that had to be pushed a bit too far. I find it works very weel with scans too, though they rarely need to be enlarged.

I use a Nikon D700, use good quality glass and only shoot in RAW.

I crop most of my images.

I upsize for Alamy and have never had an issue with QC.

I am not sure why you have a problem but suggest you compare my first line with your own modus operandi.

Good luck - it cant be hard if I can do it!!

dov

I'm using a Nikon D60...reasonable lenses, and alwasy shoot Raw.......yes I know it's old but it still gives decent results.  The problem with QC fail is that they give you a multitude of possible reasons...but more than often it's the cropped one's that fail.  I acn't believe everyone gets the right shot in the right frame every time.

I had thje same problem i am not sure if this is the correct way , i upsize megapixel to what my camera is in lightroom and that seems to work

How does that work?

I'm using a Nikon D60...reasonable lenses, and alwasy shoot Raw.......yes I know it's old but it still gives decent results.  The problem with QC fail is that they give you a multitude of possible reasons...but more than often it's the cropped one's that fail.  

Your D60 is about the same vintage (actually it's newer) and has about the same specs as my camera. First honestly ask yourself if the uncropped image would pass QC, if it will, cropping it but still staying above a 24 mb minimum should allow it to pass too.

The multitude of possible reasons for a fail would apply to the uncropped image as well as the cropped one (provided that you have done nothing else). Have you tried submitting an uncropped version of your failed image.

Now if you are cropping so much that you drop below the 24 mb minimum and have to interpolate to get back up, you could be introducing the dreaded SoLD or Interpolation artefacts (the equally dreaded "jaggies").

But you're still not telling us any reason for the fails of your cropped images. QC is not the problem.

If you really want help, post the uncropped image and the cropped image that failed.

Dave

In common with OneWay, I also have an older camera (the same I believe - a Canon 40D) which produces 10.1 MP files.  I also have only one lens to my name - the 18-55mm 'kit' lens.

In order to get the right picture, I rarely crop.  You may not be old enough?, but careful framing used to an inherent part of taking a picture pre-digital days and remains so with me.  There is the odd occasion when something is not quite level, or something needs removing which can't be cloned, but I always manage to keep the file size above the minimum required by Alamy.  When I can't, I don't submit - simple as that.

I have 133 media submissions under my belt (with just over 800 images, you can see that I submit in small batches each time, ∴ a higher %age of my images are checked).  I have only failed once - and that was on my second submission when I uploaded 2 'upsized' images as a test.  One failed for 'SoLD'.  Ironically, my first submission of 4 included 2 upsized images!  I don't upsize anymore at all.

So basically - frame in camera as much as possible, PP with care, crop if necessary, but check carefully at 100%.  Now - does it look soft to you?  Even just a tinsy bit?!  If so, it will do to QC.

Now someone help me down from this high horse before my next submission fails! :D

Good luck!

I must admit I am with DannyC on this one and try to frame the picture as I want it to end up,    some times  I have to crop to straighten the image up. then  reduce the image size to 3650 on the longest side just so as it uploads a bit quicker ( good old BT broadband :( ) but I could see that if you cropped to below the recommended size then upsized that it could cause problems.

Many of my pics were shot with my second camera, a canon 10d, 6mp so had to be resized upwards to meet the 24mb file limit.

I dont resize using any expensive software, no photoshop or anything, just use irfanview, which is free and resize it upwards by 20percent, making sure  sharpening is not enabled.

Not had any problems at all, only had one fail, on first upload, and that was a SoLD image that was taken at high iso at night.

Only submitted one cropped and straightened image, from my canon 40d, did not worry about the pixel sizes at all, it was still over the 24mb limit so uploaded it, and it passed fine.

I shoot in raw on both cameras, 10d and 40d.

Glass is nothing special, just couple of standard canon (not L) zoom lenses/

Minimal post processing, using Canons DPP only usually.

Archived