Nikon Mirrorless

Looks like it is coming and do you think it will stop us Nikon folks from heading towards Sony and Fuji.  From what I have read it might be a new Z mount for the lens.  If there is a F mount converter for the new Z mount that would allow you to use your older Nikon glass.

Marvin

23 hours ago, Marvin McAbee said:

Looks like it is coming and do you think it will stop us Nikon folks from heading towards Sony and Fuji.  From what I have read it might be a new Z mount for the lens.  If there is a F mount converter for the new Z mount that would allow you to use your older Nikon glass.

Marvin

When the reviews and real-time pictures are out, and if the images, noise, all that is up to snuff, then I expect the Nikon users will be happy.

Me, I’ve already sold my Nikon gear and gone full-tilt Fuji, so there will be no going back. Not when I now have at least 7 great Fuji lenses, all as good as my best Nikon lens ever was (24-70, 50, 80 or was it 85? See, I’ve put it behind me) and many of the Fuji are better.

The kit Nikon lenses I once had (a couple when I first started) don’t hold a candle to the Fuji kit lenses, which are close or on a par to the best Nikon ones. 

Nikon cameras? Probably the best I used was the D300. Loved the color on the D7000, but I had more failures with it than any other. Soft.

Hated the D800. Well, maybe not hated, but the two of us didn’t get on. There was no magic, which at that price point, I expected.  Also, hated lugging around a big brick.

When I got my first Fuji, the X-T1, when I saw the images,  fireworks, shooting stars, and Disney’s theme song went off.  :D And that was with the kit lens. And my spine and hands thanked me after every shoot. And I didn’t have to haul a tripod or monopod.

Betty

On 6/14/2018 at 10:41, Marvin McAbee said:

Marvin

My 2¢:  If Nikon (or Canon for that matter), don't get it right, and I mean get it right with the first generation full frame mirrorless camera, they are just wasting their R&D money.  Some time back I read an interview (translated version) with a Nikon executive on this subject.  He stated that "if" they were to develop a mirrorless camera it would have every coveted feature of all the current mirrorless cameras on the market.  In other words they would take all the best features from the various other manufacturers and put them all into one Nikon.

Me, I'm very skeptical that Nikon will pull it off, given their track record with releasing cameras with serious initial flaws.  The camera will certainly need its own lenses with a different mount which brings up the lack of native lenses issue (and waiting for the lens roadmap to flesh out {meaning years of waiting}).  I'm certain they will produce a converter for all that F mount glass out there, but that usually means sacrificing something during that process; either focusing speed, IQ etc.

I think Nikon have only one chance to get this right.  My fear is they will fail at that and wallow around in this failure for some time.  I hope I'm wrong though.  The best camera I have ever owned for IQ was the Nikon D4.  I miss that camera but not the weight and heft of lugging that beast around with a 24-70mm f2.8 attached.

I'm firmly downsized now to the Olympus OMD E-M1 MkII and the excellent 12-40mm f2.8 lens.  I seriously miss the high ISO performance of that D4 but otherwise, I'm happy.

September is the month to watch.  Photokina starts on September 26th this year.  Watch for leaks starting the first of the month.

Rick

Can not take this "NIKON bashing" and Youth is wasted on the young who did not grow up

with the F mount.  I spent decades bouncing around from Oly, Can, L's, FUJI's (the best

DSLR in its day) and Blads for the studio.

The F mount is near and dear to me,  I still have NIKKORS that are older then many Alamy

contributors.

I do need to add that currently (2000's) I do not get along with NIKON the company, but the

company and the people that worked for NIKON did some wonderful things for me in the

80's and 90's.

Lastly I do LOVE my D800's

Chuck

3 hours ago, Chuck Nacke said:

The F mount is near and dear to me,  I still have NIKKORS that are older then many Alamy

contributors.

Chuck, I am with you; I feel this will be Digital Milleniums moan for some years to come ...  

4 hours ago, Chuck Nacke said:

Can not take this "NIKON bashing" and Youth is wasted on the young who did not grow up

with the F mount.  I spent decades bouncing around from Oly, Can, L's, FUJI's (the best

contributors.

I do need to add that currently (2000's) I do not get along with NIKON the company, but the

company and the people that worked for NIKON did some wonderful things for me in the

80's and 90's.

Chuck

I'm with you there Chuck. And Nikon continue to produce amazing DSLRs. The D800s and D810 are fantastic cameras but the D850 is out of this world. It does everything that the D800 series cameras do (incredible high megapixel image quality) and a lot of what the D5s do (fast action). The engineering involved in getting a camera that can do fast action impeccably on high MP files as well as astounding image quality is well I run out of words. Close to perfection in camera technology. I won't be switching systems in the foreseeable future.

I switched to µ43 after decades with Canon and haven't looked back. Brand loyalty only goes so far. And, I have to say, the Lumix GX85(80) is way better for travel and not being noticed. Image quality is just fine. Plus, the availability of inexpensive fast primes negates the slight high ISO disadvantage compared to larger formats.

Agree that Nikon produce great DSLR cameras, I had the D750 and loved it but have recently moved to Sony.

That aside does anyone remember the DL range that were going to be Nikons compact range. Three cameras with different fixed lens, which I was all agog for and they would have made a great travel outfit. Unfortunately they never came to fruition despite the publicity and probably loads of preorders through the suppliers.

Nikon claimed technical problems forced them to drop the line.

Allan

No way I will be parting company with my Nikkor glass or full frame body. It's all flawless in my book.

I may go for a small mirrorless just to have something I can put in my pocket from time to time, which will probably be a Fujifilm (or Leica .... if I get a lottery win, dream on!!)

On 6/16/2018 at 23:00, Chuck Nacke said:

contributors.

80's and 90's.

Chuck

Chuck, I don't want to give the impression I'm either young, 65 & shooting Nikon since 1967, nor "bashing" Nikon.  I'm just my opinion on how Nikon (and Canon FTM), are coming to the mirrorless game late, really late.  They have been in and out of this decision for years.  They have had failed products in the genre that are now nowhere to be found.

All I'm saying is Nikon, IMHO, has one chance to get the decision on mirrorless right or continue to lose market share, to primarily Sony. 

I personally believe Nikon currently makes the finest DSLRs on the market.  I continue to own Nikon and am a member of NPS.  But, for many reasons, I decided several years ago, about 2013 to go smaller, much smaller, and lighter in the way of the new mirrorless cameras.  Nikon had nothing, and still has nothing, to offer me.  Oooops, there goes market share.

I really and truly want Nikon to succeed.  I would love to see them back leading the way in market share as they did when the Nikon F4 was king.  This industry needs the competition.  Sadly I think they are going the other way.

Lastly, if Nikon delivers a full frame mirrorless camera that accepts all the F mount glass, I'm still not buying.  If they produce an APS-C crop mirrorless camera with pro grade glass (new mount, smaller in size & $$) in the 24-80mm f2.8 with IBIS, with IQ that rivals Sony, and or Fuji, I'm probably in.  I love the way Nikon cameras are designed.

Until that last point happens, I'm not in the market for any more Nikons or Nikkors. 

Rick

There is just one problem for Nikon compared with Sony and Canon. They don't make their own sensors.

Here is a bit from sonyalpharumors.com https://www.sonyalpharumors.com/pictures-of-d850-internal-cmos-sensor-clearly-shows-its-made-by-sony/

Top Nikon camera with a verified Sony sensor.

Doubt if Sony will make a superior sensor for Nikon although I understand that Sony's fab division is separate from the Digital Imaging division. So if Nikon could design a better sensor then Sony might justs make it as long as Sony's own patents are not infringed.

They are truly late with Sony having the DSC 10 and 100 series as well as A6000 series and A7/A9 full frame cameras. Everybody is now making lenses for the Sony full frame cameras.

How can Nikon actually better the A7 Mk3 and the A9? Maybe a more ergonomic body, but is that enough? What is the point of offering mostly full size lenses with an adapter (at least to start with) when there are now so many lenses dedicated to the E mount?

Nikon is not a giant company with endless resources. The future could be tough for them. Sony/Fuji/Pana are not going to stand still. Where is Canon on this?

Archived