I'm instructed to take my daughter's in-laws (South African) to Eire in August. The plan is a sort of circular tour from Rosslare, picking up the Ring of Kerry etc. I'm driving.

Given it's primarily a tour for them are there any recommendations that they (as pensioners) would enjoy and I (as a pensioner photographer) shouldn't miss?

Thanks in advance.

9 minutes ago, Phil Crean said:

Guinness is essential

I understand, but as the designated driver I shall have to limit my intake to the evenings, and then not so much as to give me problems next morning, I hear the Garda are quite hot.

You don't say how long you are going for or where you plan to return from in the circle (Kerry, Galway, Donegal). Picking up the RIng of Kerry etc leaves a lot to the imagination. If you are thinking of out of car photography rather than walking which seems to be the gist of what you are saying, then check out the Wild Atlantic Way which was conjured up as a motoring route from Donegal to West Cork. There is a mass of information on the WAW. I personally highly recommend the Beara Peninsula which is the next one south of the Ring of Kerry, less touristy and easily as beautiful in terms of scenery. 

Also you should know that nobody in Ireland uses the term Eire when speaking English. Eire is actually the Irish language name for Ireland. The official name of Ireland in English is Ireland funny enough. Eire is a rather archaic term if used in the context in which you use it. The Republic of Ireland is a descriptive term for what used to be known as Eire in English.

EDIT: I see Phil has already pointed to the WAW.

Get yourself to my neck of the woods, West Cork, which is on the Wild Atlantic Way.  If you're in Ballydehob, you should come to my place for coffee, cake and amazing views!

The Beara Peninsular is magic. The west side of County Cork in general (and Cork City itself) is lovely. There are many beautiful places all round the Ring of Kerry, and wild places, if that's your thing, in the centre between the outer sides of the Ring. Drive from Kenmare to Killarney across the mountains and through the Killarney National Park. There's hardly anywhere you can go in south-west Ireland that isn't beautiful.

Alan

1 hour ago, Colblimp said:

Get yourself to my neck of the woods, West Cork, which is on the Wild Atlantic Way.  If you're in Ballydehob, you should come to my place for coffee, cake and amazing views!

I agree with Andy (we are neighbours sort of) West Cork is a wonderful place, just keep the coast on your left down from Rosslare all the way to Baltimore and you can't go wrong. Fantastic scenery, great places to eat and very friendly people.

1 hour ago, aphperspective said:

I agree with Andy (we are neighbours sort of) West Cork is a wonderful place, just keep the coast on your left down from Rosslare all the way to Baltimore and you can't go wrong. Fantastic scenery, great places to eat and very friendly people.

Personally I don't think West Cork really starts anywhere east of Bantry :D

My tips:

Near Rosslare:

Jerpoint Abbey, Glendalough  and Cashel

From South West to North West.

- Dingle peninsula including Skellig Islands.

- Cliffs Mohers including Aran Islands

- Connemara

- Donegal

and of course the beautiful High Crosses and round Towers around Ireland

As others mentioned cork city and the surrounding area is  not to be missed, it is very compact with lots to see and photograph such as the English market , st fin barres cathedral, shandon, cork gaol and even an Elizabethan fort if you look hard enough:) ,  Spike and fota island as well as Blarney castle are very close to the city. Probably my favourite place in the world. 

further up my way are the Cliffs of Moher, the Burren , Bunratty castle and folk park all worth seeing too.

Just don't drive yourself mad trying to fit everything in, so much to see...

3 hours ago, Colblimp said:

West Cork starts at the viaduct on the N71. :P

Officially yes I'm sure but the border to me is rather soft just like the weather as you go further west. In my mind real West Cork proper begins at the first sight of Bantry Bay and gets better the further west you go into Beara into the mountains. This goes back to my early childhood -  just romantic memories really but the mountains around Glengarriff wre the first mountains I ever saw in my life and have a very special place in my psyche. 

Thank you all for your useful feedback. In particular re. the Beara Peninsula. I was looking at this as an alternative/adjunct to the Ring of Kerry and you have reinforced my thoughts. I also fancy the cable car - my wife is less keen though. Perhaps we'll need to send her on a distillery tour before the cable car!!!

It's going to be tight, we only have seven days, and that includes a day getting to the ferry and a day returning, but I take  John's thought to heart, very wise

12 hours ago, John Rodgers said:

Just don't drive yourself mad trying to fit everything in, so much to see...

One last question, I know of the Burren, but does anyone know an authentic salmon smokehouse further south. My daughter's father in law is very keen on smoked salmon, but it's apparently illegal to import it into S.A.

Thanks again for all your feedback.

Russell

1 hour ago, Russell said:

Thank you all for your useful feedback. In particular re. the Beara Peninsula. I was looking at this as an alternative/adjunct to the Ring of Kerry and you have reinforced my thoughts. I also fancy the cable car - my wife is less keen though. Perhaps we'll need to send her on a distillery tour before the cable car!!!

It's going to be tight, we only have seven days, and that includes a day getting to the ferry and a day returning, but I take  John's thought to heart, very wise

One last question, I know of the Burren, but does anyone know an authentic salmon smokehouse further south. My daughter's father in law is very keen on smoked salmon, but it's apparently illegal to import it into S.A.

Thanks again for all your feedback.

Russell

HI Russel , thanks

I know of the bellvelly smokehouse in Cobh and I believe they have a store in the English market. https://www.frankhederman.com ?

I would also agree with your choice of the beara and west Cork, Spent many a summer holiday there as a child.

Archived