Churches and Historical Sites in Italy

hi, I have a large number of photos I wish to post. For these properties there were no restrictions posted either at the venue or on their websites, however, are there any Italian laws that anyone is aware of that may prohibit? I am having difficulty finding the information.

Thanks in advance.

27 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

Italian laws apply only to Italy and Alamy has an international market. I wouldn't be concerned about it- as long as you annotate correctly it's a matter for the publishers.

perfect, I always err on the side of caution...that and I negotiation liability and indemnity clauses all day...I know what can happen! thank you.:)

37 minutes ago, Brasilnut said:

Even if some Italian historical places specify that "commercial photography is prohibited" at some historical places, I can't see how they can possibly enforce that at an international agency. 

Same as any others who prevail upon Alamy to remove images, or get them designated Editorial Only, I'd guess. If they wanted to.

OTOH,  can Italy over-rule EU law on out-of-copyright historic buildings?

http://limegreenip.hoganlovells.com/article/46/copyrights-copyright-protection-italy

19 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

When I lived in Italy, all rules were dealt with by a shrug of the shoulders. Today? I'm not sure, but I would listen to Brasilnut. 

Edo

That seemed to be a general attitude towards everything there I found. It was interesting.

16 minutes ago, Cryptoprocta said:

Same as any others who prevail upon Alamy to remove images, or get them designated Editorial Only, I'd guess. If they wanted to.

http://limegreenip.hoganlovells.com/article/46/copyrights-copyright-protection-italy

Thinking I will mark them as editorial...that's likely what they will be used for anyways.

7 hours ago, Cryptoprocta said:

Yes. Italy has a specific law for "cultural heritage". It enabled it, for example, to stop Armalite using an image of the David to advertise guns.

The EU directive on freedom of panorama is optional.

2 hours ago, spacecadet said:

Yes. Italy has a specific law for "cultural heritage". It enabled it, for example, to stop Armalite using an image of the David to advertise guns.

The EU directive on freedom of panorama is optional.

Interesting, and I can see why they'd want to use it in such a case.

(I was very upset when one of my wildlife pics was used in a widely-disseminated hunting gun ad, but nothing illegal about the use :-()

I should revisit my Italian pics and set them to Editorial Only (currently property in photo/no release, and many have people, no release, so partly 'locked down')

Thanks for the info.

16 hours ago, MandyD said:

That seemed to be a general attitude towards everything there I found. It was interesting.

relax...I meant that we tend to be more uptight about everything here...it was no slight.

17 hours ago, Brasilnut said:

Even if some Italian historical places specify that "commercial photography is prohibited" at some historical places, I can't see how they can possibly enforce that at an international agency. 

What about Vatican museums and Sistine chapel? Via AoA I found that Sistine chapel had been searched 80 times last year, far more than any other site in Rome. But they try to prevent photography even for personal use.

4 minutes ago, andremichel said:

What about Vatican museums and Sistine chapel? Via AoA I found that Sistine chapel had been searched 80 times last year, far more than any other site in Rome. But they try to prevent photography even for personal use.

Sistine Chapel there is no photography allowed for any use now. You can't even lift your camera up without being screamed at. A Japanese Production company bought the copyright in order to fund the restoration there apparently. Vatican Museum wasn't an issue, just no flash.

7 minutes ago, MandyD said:

Sistine Chapel there is no photography allowed for any use now. You can't even lift your camera up without being screamed at. A Japanese Production company bought the copyright in order to fund the restoration there apparently. Vatican Museum wasn't an issue, just no flash.

That agreement expired 20 years ago. They just kept the prohibition.

2 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

That agreement expired 20 years ago. They just kept the prohibition.

My friend was there in 2007 and she was allowed to photograph. I was just there and could not.

2 minutes ago, MandyD said:

My friend was there in 2007 and she was allowed to photograph. I was just there and could not.

I was there in Feb. Sistine chapel was chaos, packed with tourists taking photos and constant shouts by security guards of "No photo". No problems in rest of Vatican museums but their website says no photography for commercial use. I haven't uploaded any of my photos but considering brazilnuts comment above I wonder if I should.

1 minute ago, andremichel said:

I was there in Feb. Sistine chapel was chaos, packed with tourists taking photos and constant shouts by security guards of "No photo". No problems in rest of Vatican museums but their website says no photography for commercial use. I haven't uploaded any of my photos but considering brazilnuts comment above I wonder if I should.

I wasn't going to upload any, but was thinking the same. I see lots on here. Was wondering about the papal basillicas? 

I went at the end of November...wasn't too bad...I am not a fan of crowds, so tend to travel off season. Works for me.

Oh no I don't want to turn into some sort of authority of this. There are risks, although need to measure them objectively. 

Let's consider a typical scenario: US buyer from a British agency of images captured in Italy. It's complicated and not sure Italian lawyers would bother (most don't even speak English properly). Who do they go after to begin with? Which jurisdiction? Do they really want to go after tourists this way?

I'm a really really bad tourist in that I'll try to get the shot even if I know it's not allowed (the people on mobile phones get free ride). My Nikon d800 makes me look professional which is why I want to go mirrorless. 

If you play it safe you don't make money at this game as a travel photographer (imo).

Lastly, it's such a beautiful country and would be a shame not to document it to be featured as promotional material for more people to visit (perhaps a naive yet progressive argument)

1 hour ago, Brasilnut said:

Oh no I don't want to turn into some sort of authority of this. There are risks, although need to measure them objectively. 

Let's consider a typical scenario: US buyer from a British agency of images captured in Italy. It's complicated and not sure Italian lawyers would bother (most don't even speak English properly). Who do they go after to begin with? Which jurisdiction? Do they really want to go after tourists this way?

I'm a really really bad tourist in that I'll try to get the shot even if I know it's not allowed (the people on mobile phones get free ride). My Nikon d800 makes me look professional which is why I want to go mirrorless. 

If you play it safe you don't make money at this game as a travel photographer (imo).

Lastly, it's such a beautiful country and would be a shame not to document it to be featured as promotional material for more people to visit (perhaps a naive yet progressive argument)

Well that's the thing, I know I am responsible for content, but looking at what's on here already and that they haven't removed or released...I have a massive pile to go through of others first, so will see how it figures out when I get to that file. I am taking a Risk course right now and we had a chapter on copyright, I threw this at my instructor a couple weeks ago...lol she's researching still.

3 hours ago, Brasilnut said:

thank you for this...very good read. I think all my public stuff will be okay as people are not the sole intended subject and I never "just shoot people." I'm overly private myself, so happens by my nature I guess. 

I live in Florence-Italy and...yes, i've sold a pic of my city last week for 3 figures $$$ but.... a sunset silhouette with various churches and monuments.

Picture of common landmarks aren't selling, i wouldn't waste my time uploading OP lol :D

22 hours ago, KODAKovic said:

I live in Florence-Italy and...yes, i've sold a pic of my city last week for 3 figures $$$ but.... a sunset silhouette with various churches and monuments.

Picture of common landmarks aren't selling, i wouldn't waste my time uploading OP lol :D

22 hours ago, KODAKovic said:

and yet mine have sold 

Archived