High Sierra?

After I upgraded to High Sierra from Sierra, I had a problem with my CS6 & Nik Collection (CS6 crashed every time I used Nik Collection). 

Although I found out that engineers from both Adobe & Apple are working together to resolve the issue,

I feared that it may still be an issue with aging CS6 which I use.

So I decided to revert to Sierra by using Time Machine backup.

This link may be of use to you.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/photoshop-and-macoshighsierra.html

Sung

High Sierra introduces a new Apple file structure, and the way the computer deals with drives.

There is a potential for great mischief here, even with the most stable software by both Apple and third parties.

So I will be holding off upgrading High Sierra, maybe even until the next upgrade.

Having installed macOS High Sierra version 10.13. 2 on my imac, Nikon ViewNX-i version 1.2.10 continuously crashes. I have been in touch with Both Apple and Nikon to solve the problem but the fault still remains, works fine running Lightroom 6.8. Using the same OS on a new Macbook Pro with no problem at all. May be the next up-dated version of ViewNX-i will stop it crashing.

Right after the first of the year I will be upgrading my computer system to a new 27" iMac 5K Retina model.  (Currently running an 8 year old Mac Pro with El Capitan).  I just checked the specs with B&H and it ships with Sierra.  I will not be updating to High Sierra until it is safe to do so.

A noted techie / photographer, Thom Hogan warned about High Sierra on his blog several months ago.  He even specifically mentions Nik software as an example of software that would need major structural changes to work properly.

I'm not sure why Apple would do this.  

I upgraded from Sierra to High Sierra and no problems at all with Niks, Capture One v.11 or Adobe CS6 standalone. Nothing rolled over, everything stable and as it was. I use a 4 year old iMac 27" if it's relative. 

High Sierra has potential to be very good and.... quite unstable depending on the hardware.

I was running 10.13.2 Beta 6 for a while on a 2015 dual graphics MacBook Pro and the current Mac Pro. On the Mac Pro it seems to run very well with Adobe CC, Capture One Pro 10, Affinity Photo, FCP X and Motion 5. The CS6 installer would not work however but, if the software was already installed when updating, it would work fine. Just didn't like the installer app.

The MacBook Pro was a different storey though. Random reboots, beachballs and lag were common. The software (as with the MacPro) seemed to work, as in it loaded and ran ok but was subject to lag and beachballs and random intervals.

After running the 10.13.2, as well as earlier versions for a couple of months, I've now returned to Sierra. I'm normally one of the 1st to run new OS X's but this time, I'll be waiting till end of 1st Q 2018 before trying it again, just a little too unstable at the moment. Its probably best to set it up on a bootable USB drive first to give it a good testing before disturbing your existing system. 

That said, it has great potential. When the lag wasn't there it was very quick.... they just need to do some fine tuning!

Edit. With regards to Nik Software. If you have problems, re-install it after removing the existing copy from the system. Just use the uninstall app that comes with the software. After that you shouldn't have any problems. When updating to High Sierra it can mess with an established installation but it does work if you re-install it.

I am now running High Sierra 10.13.1 on my late 2013 27" iMac with 3.5 Ghz Intel Core i7 processor, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4 GB graphics, with no problems.

Running PSE 14.1and LR 6.13.  Have Nik collection but not tried it yet as most of my work is done with PSE and LR.

Appologies I have had one problem. Bought s/h Sony 16-35mm f4 ZA lens which needed firmware update but could not carry update out as it was only compatible with Sierra.

Contacted Sony about new upgrade compatible with High Sierra for lens but no reply as yet.

Allan

That's just the kind of compatibility issue I'm concerned with, Allan. My iMac is 10 years old now and running Sierra. My PS and LR are on Adobe CC. 

We just had a bomb go off in the Times Square Subway Station. You'll be getting the news soon over there. 

Edo

3 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

That's just the kind of compatibility issue I'm concerned with, Allan. My iMac is 10 years old now and running Sierra. My PS and LR are on Adobe CC. 

We just had a bomb go off in the Times Square Subway Station. You'll be getting the news soon over there. 

Edo

Got it 3 hours ago. Been away doing some housework and getting and eating lunch.

Allan

20 hours ago, ReeRay said:

I upgraded from Sierra to High Sierra and no problems at all with Niks, Capture One v.11 or Adobe CS6 standalone. Nothing rolled over, everything stable and as it was. I use a 4 year old iMac 27" if it's relative. 

That is very good to hear!!  The literature says the computer comes with Sierra loaded but if it is a newer build, when I buy the computer, and it comes with High Sierra I surly don't want any problems.  This forum was not the first place I had heard of compatibility issues with the new OS architecture.  

Rick

My Mac, an older Late 2011 i7 15" MBP with 16GB, 525GB SSD and hi-res AG screen (old but quite adequate) is still running Sierra faultlessly. I'm trialling High Sierra 10.13.2 on an old Early 2011 13" MBP using my usual software, current versions of Photo Mechanic, Photoshop CC 2018 and Lightroom Classic CC 2018, no issues. Haven't added any of my plugins yet though. 

I see references to NIK software here. I see lots of work arounds to work under newer OS's, some seem to be successful, others not. Google sold the NIK software to DxO, updated version due sometime next year. Wonder how they will improve and price it.

Steve

Archived