Andrea,

Understanding the different types of license is best done by Google search.  'rm rf stock licence' will produce pages!

As to what is the best option for your images only you can work that out. It depends entirely on their content.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rw8KChgv2bE, but haven't watched it.

Chris E

For RF license you should have model and or property releases.

Not so critical for RM. But if RM has no release then it is only useable as editorial material. If used for any other purpose then the onus is on the user as far as I am concerned.

That is my understanding anyway.

Allan

Andrea,

There's plenty of stuff on the Alamy site. If you go to Manage Images via the Contributors Page , there's a helpful section about choosing a licence. Search the forum as well because there's been plenty of discussion on this topic.

Dave

Andrea,

Understanding the different types of license is best done by Google search.  'rm rf stock licence' will produce pages!

As to what is the best option for your images only you can work that out. It depends entirely on their content.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rw8KChgv2bE, but haven't watched it.

Chris E

very useful..thanks for posting :)

Thanks for the link to the video explaining things ver very useful.

One thing though with the model and property release situation. In this post http://discussion.alamy.com/index.php?/topic/757-have-you-found-any-alamy-photographs-august-2013/ Sprocket had the pic of the new doctor who (I think) taken in Cardiff. I would assume that he hadn't got permission or hadn't had chance to get a model release for the pic so to ask a dumb question how was that sold?

Just wondering, is it acceptable to assign different licenses to images that are similar, but not the same?  That is, similar photos taken in the same shoot.   In particular, if someone has an RM image on this site, is it alright to have a similar image (but not the same) on an RF site?

I am not sure if it is from law but on Dreamstime for example you can not have a similar images from your exclusive images on other sites. My feeling would say that in your case would be the same matter.

But i am off course not 100 percent sure. Just a feeling. You could ask the Alamy staff.

I think the only comment I might add here, if it is relevent to the OP, is that you should never put up a photo here as, say, RM, and with another agency as RF. That can lead to a right kerfuffle as I understand it, especially if both sell!

nj

In the UK you don't need a person's permission to take their photograph but it couldn't be offered as RF without a release. The staged photograph you would get a release for at the time so you could offer it as RF. Licence and permission aren't the same.

Just wondering, is it acceptable to assign different licenses to images that are similar, but not the same? That is, similar photos taken in the same shoot. In particular, if someone has an RM image on this site, is it alright to have a similar image (but not the same) on an RF site?

If an image may correctly be described as RF I can see no reason why it should not be offered both as RF and RM on this or any other site. Alamy is not an exclusive site. Same or similar does not come into it. Not clear as to why you would wish to do this? RF may be used commercially and would therefore, in theory, command a better price.

dov

Archived