I hear a lot on the forums about "live news" something to which I have, so far, never uploaded mainly because I am not sure what sort of photos are relevant for live news. I have seen that local weather conditions are one subject and there are also obvious subjects  ( I was in Bangkok during the coup of 2005 and was able to take photos which would obviously have been relevant for live news). So can someone please help me understand the concept of "live news"? I am resident in Phuket so maybe there is no relevant live news!! Thanks

Kevin 

9 minutes ago, Hellonearth said:

I hear a lot on the forums about "live news" something to which I have, so far, never uploaded mainly because I am not sure what sort of photos are relevant for live news. I have seen that local weather conditions are one subject and there are also obvious subjects  ( I was in Bangkok during the coup of 2005 and was able to take photos which would obviously have been relevant for live news). So can someone please help me understand the concept of "live news"? I am resident in Phuket so maybe there is no relevant live news!! Thanks

Kevin 

Browse what is being submitted as Live News

http://www.alamy.com/news/newsresults.aspx

then

http://www.alamy.com/contributor/how-to-sell-news-images/best-place-to-sell-live-news-images/

and also look at the related links at the bottom - guidelines + tips etc.

Let's hope you don't get big disasters in Phuket like say a tsunami or terrorist activity.

A good angle in Phuket would be how big news events in Thailand as a whole is affecting tourists in Phuket.

So in case of a big disaster in BKK, show tourists watching the news on TV with cocktails in hand and the beach in the background.

Keep an eye out for anything mentioning global or Asian tourism or stories about Brits; Germans; Dutch; Russians; Americans; Arabs; Israelis and so on on holiday in general or in Thailand. Could be holiday spending is up or down;  could be people staying away or flooding the place. Could be people preferring yoga on the beach or sustainable activities or totally ignoring those.

And celebrities seem to top all (in UK papers). Opium for the masses as some bearded guy once said. 1800 years before him it was called Panem et Circences - Bread and circuses.

Maybe hope Pippa will show up in Phuket.

wim

Thank you for the very useful pointers. I think I am beginning to get the "picture" if you will pardon the pun. Martin, as suggested I have already checked out the live news feed and was surprised to see the variety of events covered. Wim, you have definitely given me some ideas - thanks!

Kevin

Gerard,

I would strongly dissagree about speed over quality.  In my opinion Alamy is not a "News Wire Service."  Yes there

are times when speed counts over quality, but in the long run a poorly processed news image might sell once or

twice when it is in the news, but a well shot, well captioned image that is processed well and illustrates an issue

that is in the news today and will be in the news for the next decades can be licensed over  and over.  Sorry, but

I've always had a thing about poorly executed news photos.

4 hours ago, Chuck Nacke said:

Gerard,

I would strongly dissagree about speed over quality.  In my opinion Alamy is not a "News Wire Service."  Yes there

are times when speed counts over quality, but in the long run a poorly processed news image might sell once or

twice when it is in the news, but a well shot, well captioned image that is processed well and illustrates an issue

that is in the news today and will be in the news for the next decades can be licensed over  and over.  Sorry, but

I've always had a thing about poorly executed news photos.

Chuck, it really depends where you are in the world when news happens and how many photographers are at the event. 

If you're in London, if pays to send in the images (including some duff ones) as soon as possible. In fact, you have to. Otherwise you're not able to compete with the other agencies. That's what the Live News service is for. 

3 hours ago, funkyworm said:

Being in Thailand time is on your side. Literally. The time zone differential means you have time to get the images to the news desks in Europe before they are out of bed in the morning.

But... every advantage has its disadvantage. Most news is local. A major disaster in a foreign country often gets less column space than a local minor celebrity popping out to the corner shop to buy a doughnut.

Many (but not all) news images have a longer shelf life than many here imagine. I arrived in Bangkok last year within minutes of the announcement of the passing away of the King. Whilst I sent images of the mourners (editting out the ones with Thais grinning at me when they saw they were having their photos taken) it is images I took of the Crown Prince a few years previously which I have sold most due to that story.

Yes i have realised that time is indeed on my side with reagrd to submission times as you say, but I fear that there are not that many news items that would interest the UK. In any case I intend to give it  a shot and submit to live news in the future. I am away next month but return just in time for the Phuket vegetarian festival which is fascinating event albeit rather gruesome. 

Kevin

Yes don't forget all the festivals. And add our festivals that are not that visible over there. A Christmas tree on the beach? Easter egg next to a cocktail? Mother's day under a palm? Father's day in the pool? Beginning of our winter; beginning of our autumn. Beginning of your rainy season. Any stuff that just looks very good and could be a NatGeo photo of the day could also be a news photo of the day in a UK or US newspaper.

Why not just practice in the meantime and try to emulate 1, 2, 3, 4,   (on NatGeo)

wim

(never been to Phuket but love Thailand)

• 2 weeks later...

On the subject of Live News, given that pics in the newspapers tend not to be so lucrative ($10 -$15 on average for me) is it worth all the hassle of submitting to Live News? Does it pay any better?

BW, John

On 21 August 2017 at 19:04, wiskerke said:

Yes don't forget all the festivals. And add our festivals that are not that visible over there. A Christmas tree on the beach? Easter egg next to a cocktail? Mother's day under a palm? Father's day in the pool? Beginning of our winter; beginning of our autumn. Beginning of your rainy season. Any stuff that just looks very good and could be a NatGeo photo of the day could also be a news photo of the day in a UK or US newspaper.

Why not just practice in the meantime and try to emulate 1, 2, 3, 4,   (on NatGeo)

wim

(never been to Phuket but love Thailand)

Thank you Wim for your very useful suggestions

Kevin

I've most uploaded photos festivals, demonstrations (rallies) in California near where I live. Neversold. But it was fun go there, try to get the best shots, keyword, upload. 

My most recent was the Gold Rush re-enactment event in Sacramento. Nobody else in the world cares, I guess, but I've been uploading to LV for the last three years. 

Sometimes I wish I was somewhere people cared about. 

sigh. 

Archived