Is this really worth it

I have put all my eggs in one basket recently with Alamy, having rejected the microstock route. To some extent I have started to reap rewards as I have had 9 sales in the last few weeks. I have not earned a hige amount but I have been encouaged. However, a new sale today makes me wonder if I am treading the right path.

Rights ManagedCountry: Estonia
Usage: Editorial
Media: Magazine - print, digital and electronic
Print run: up to 10,000
Placement: Inside
Image Size: 1/4 page
Start: 01 July 2017
End: 01 July 2022
Online Magazine. Duration: 1 year.$ 5.73

I would like to hear the comments from some of you old timers.

regards

Kevin

Am extremely lucky to have had one of the same (Mine sold via Vida Press to http://reisile.postimees.ee/). With the distributor commission, it ranks amoung my lowest (NET) value sales here (though a few to Italy actually have it beat!).

Alamy's answer would be that these terribly low value distributor sales "[...] are customers we wouldn’t normally reach as it’s a sale through our Distribution scheme." However, in my case, the image was promptly copied to two additional websites, so for the price I am not sure the additional exposure is worth it. It may be worth taking note, and opting out of distribution to relevant territories when the time comes (in April).

HOWEVER, my highest sale on Alamy also came from another territory where we are used to seeing these incredibly poor fees, so I am somewhat reluctant to do so. Unfortunately when you opt in to the distributor scheme, you are stuck taking the disappointing sales along with the... occasionally slightly better ones.

-Jason

Geoff

Not sure I understand why you dont want me to mention the low price. It is after all the whole point of my post! Yes, I did think I would get more for a magazine sale but I wanted to hear opinions from people who have been on Alamy for some time. Is this normal or is it because it is because it is a country such as Estonia (not wishing to be rude)? To qualify 3 sales so far this month. 4 in June and 5 in July

Kevin

5 minutes ago, arterra said:

Had exactly the same sale yesterday (African subject). Indeed very low, but the next sale, that same day, was for 206 $. I guess you'll have to accept that the small ones come with the bigger ones. The living standards are not the same all over the world. Anyway, I don't value an agency per sale, not even per week, nor per month, but on a yearly basis.

Cheers,

Philippe

Thank you for your comment. I am not really thinking of changing course but actually value the opinion of "old hands" on Alamy hence my post.

4 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

I think just put in down as a sale and take encouragement that you are providing images that paying customers want even if the fee is low. Distributor fees to some countries do tend to be low, but sometimes they are much higher. I'd say just take the rough with the smooth and carry on feeling some encouragement that you are getting sales.

Unfortunately microstock won't go away and low fees are just part of today's reality. 

OK thank you I take heart from this!

9 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

Hmm....now try and understand why those of who accurately predicted back in 2004 that microstock would lead to this mess feel a little weary of the subject. :)

Indeed! Although this is in the extreme low, I've read about some contributors earning on the extreme high $300+ here and then renewals of RM licenses, yummy yummy. 

Are your expectations referring to RPD or RPI?

Not sure what the average should be for RPD or RPI on here, nor what my expectations should be, I'll have to research more. From my other thread it's clear that I need to step up my game. 

In Microstockland (or stock photography stage IV cancer as some call it), it's much lower revenues but higher volumes of downloads...RPI/year of $2 should be about average for a good portfolio (3k+ images over 2 years), but this figure is dropping year-on-year. I'd be interested to know this metric here but doubt most contributors would be so forthcoming. 

1 minute ago, Brasilnut said:

Indeed! Although this is in the extreme low, I've read about some contributors earning on the extreme high $300+ here and then renewals of RM licenses, yummy yummy. 

Not sure what the average should be for RPD or RPI on here, nor what my expectations should be, I'll have to research more. From my other thread it's clear that I need to step up my game. 

In Microstockland (or stock photography stage IV cancer as some call it), it's much lower revenues but higher volumes of downloads...RPI/year of $2 should be about average for a good portfolio (3k+ images over 2 years), but this figure is dropping year-on-year. I'd be interested to know this metric here but doubt most contributors would be so forthcoming. 

Just use the search function of this forum.

wim

I'm in the Estonia club too. I'm sure that it's a lovely little country, but it looks as if I probably won't be able to afford to visit.B)

I try to be philosophical about these very low sales. I tend to see them as "piggy bank" money that hopefully will add up to something worthwhile one day -- i.e. every little bit helps.

5 hours ago, Hellonearth said:

I have put all my eggs in one basket recently with Alamy, having rejected the microstock route. To some extent I have started to reap rewards as I have had 9 sales in the last few weeks. I have not earned a hige amount but I have been encouaged. However, a new sale today makes me wonder if I am treading the right path.

Looking at your portfolio I can see why you are getting sales. I bet you will continue to do well and also probably get those occasional disappointments with tiny fees. It sure doesn't feel good but the big ones will come also.

Paulette

6 hours ago, NYCat said:

Looking at your portfolio I can see why you are getting sales. I bet you will continue to do well and also probably get those occasional disappointments with tiny fees. It sure doesn't feel good but the big ones will come also.

Paulette

Thank you for that vote of confidence Paulette. That is real encouragement!

Kevin

12 hours ago, Hellonearth said:

regards

Kevin

I got 2 of these yesterday, one to Estonia, the other to Latvia. Two different subjects. One of the images + article has already been picked up by 4 other sites......

12 hours ago, Hellonearth said:

regards

Kevin

I got 2 of these yesterday, one to Estonia, the other to Latvia. Two different subjects. One of the images + article has already been picked up by 4 other sites......

Archived