Monitor calibration -- how often?

4 hours ago, spacecadet said:

Capture.jpg

Here's my version of JGPN44. Hope you don't mind, I'll delete it shortly.

I do not use LR auto tone. Tried it in the past but found I was twiddling even more sliders.

Thank you for your take on that image but looking at others from the day your image looks a bit too yellow but I take your point that perhaps a tad darker might have been better.

Allan

You're right and if I take out my 15 saturation I get this. BTW auto tone actually took the exposure UP 0.5. I then dropped the highlights 36 to unclip the whites a bit. Plus my usual clarvib.

Incidentally the whites were still neutral even with the extra saturation, but yes, it was a bit too Desert Storm and not enough Telic.

Capture.jpg

8 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

You're right and if I take out my 15 saturation I get this. BTW auto tone actually took the exposure UP 0.5. I then dropped the highlights 36 to unclip the whites a bit. Plus my usual clarvib.

Capture.jpg

Just looked at your image next to the tiff in my files and they are so close as to make no difference which is loaded to Alamy. I doubt any possible buyer would notice the difference and probably go with either.

This has been an interesting exercise.

Allan

Extending this thread I wonder under what conditions you re-calibrate your monitor. Night, day, lights on/off etc. 

For myself I re-calibrate my iMac every 3 months as per my Spyder reminder and always in normal daylight as I assume this would be equal to what would be the buyers normal environment. 

Agreed? 

1 hour ago, ReeRay said:

Extending this thread I wonder under what conditions you re-calibrate your monitor. Night, day, lights on/off etc. 

For myself I re-calibrate my iMac every 3 months as per my Spyder reminder and always in normal daylight as I assume this would be equal to what would be the buyers normal environment. 

Agreed? 

I always calibrate in subdued lighting with blinds and curtains drawn and when my office is on the shady side of the house - the same environment I work in.

On 25/07/2017 at 02:56, cbimages said:

I calibrate my Eizo every time the pesky Spyder software tells me to - about every 3 months I think.

Ditto. I usually try to ignore that message for a while and then give in. 

PS. Nice to see the good old Steenbeck mentioned on here, that brought back some memories. Trained on one of those many, many moons ago...

18 hours ago, Bill Brooks said:

Work and calibrate in typical office environment. Dark room can give false impression re highlights and shadows when working on images.

What do you actually mean false impression?

Not sure what you mean by typical office envrironment - if you mean the mixed light (window light, fluorescent, tungsten etc) that is typical of many offices that are not designed for photographic post-processing, then I would disagree. The most important thing I would suggest is to work in an environment with constant lighting, whether bright or dark, with no reflections on the screen.  I think that monitor calibration should always be done in the same ambient lighting. Window light of any kind is not great at all as it changes throughout the day.

I prefer a dark room with a daylight lamp on the floor pointing down that I can use for examining prints.

Archived