d810 file size

Hi all

Got a bit of an issue with a new body,a d810

a raw, uncompressed 14 bit file is coming out at 71.6 mb, when edited and saved as a jpeg its being shrunk to 734.5 kb !!! in nx-2, its too small to use.

the raw uncompressed file on a d700 is coming out at 18.2 mb for the same scene, when edited and saved as a jpeg its size is 4.1 mb, more like it !

i aint the best when it comes to computer/ file stuff, what am i doing wrong here with the d810 settings, i would expect the saved jpeg to be a lot larger than 734.5 kb !

if anyone can shed any light/ help here much appreciated

Steve

Hi Steve, whilst not a Nikon user, I'll do the best I can. Quick look online, you've got a 36.3 m.px camera, when you open the files in Photoshop etc, they should be 103.4 mb. Somewhere down the line, a piece of software you're using is reducing the file size, and them compressing them a lot.

What you're seeing, and I suspect being misled by, is the difference between the true file size (see above) and the compressed file size.

So, the answer - use good software (Lighroom or Photoshop), and spend time getting the hang of it. Give Alamy the biggest files you can (in your case 103.4 mbs). Compress them as jpegs at level 10 or greater.

I trust other more knowledgeable Nikon users will pitch in soon ...

:)

Welcome to the forums, BTW,

Tony

Thanks Tony

I  think its the nikon software ( capture nx-2) i am using, it needs updating ,( or binning.. ) i have just uploaded a raw file @ 72 mb and the software that came with the camera has saved the file as a jpeg at 17.1 mb, a bit more like it.

i will try the same in lightroom and see what file size that will give me.

if any nikon users out there can help out here , much appreciated.

Thanks again.

Yes you need Nikon NX-D software which is a free download. Don't bin your NX-2 though in case you need to rework previous camera files... (NX-D will edit them but I think the problem is that it won't change settings made in NX-2).

NX-D is quirky but I got used to it - still prefer Nikon it to Photoshop Raw which I cannot get on with.

Having said that though the Active D-lighting is much less good than in NX-D than it was in NX-2 - often blows highlights hugely. I now leave that sort of thing to Photoshop working on 16 bit TIFF from NX-D now.

John Crellin

It's not a matter of what LR will "give you"- you decide yourself. Exporting at 90 is sufficient. You can resize if required.

My RAWS resized to 4500x3000 come out at about 4-7MB. It depend on the amount of fine detail in the image.

Some here rely on manufacturer software but I never have and it wouldn't have helped you anyway (Sony).

1 hour ago, steve harling said:

Thanks Tony

I  think its the nikon software ( capture nx-2) i am using, it needs updating ,( or binning.. ) i have just uploaded a raw file @ 72 mb and the software that came with the camera has saved the file as a jpeg at 17.1 mb, a bit more like it.

i will try the same in lightroom and see what file size that will give me.

if any nikon users out there can help out here , much appreciated.

Thanks again.

and what a surprise...!

lightroom will not open the nef files from the d810

anyone know of an update for this camera so LR will open raw 810 files ?

Life is way too short to be using Nikon software.  It's slow, dated, and has a terrible user interface.  

Do yourself a favour and get the Adobe photo package, which is Photoshop and Lightroom for US$ 10 per month.  Adobe will send you upgrades as part of the package.  Most of my work is done with Photoshop, but for larger jobs, Lightroom is great.  

If the D810 aren't opening in LR, you probably need to upgrade the software.  It's probably a version that's older than the D810 model, so it's not recognizing the files.

According to Nikon Rumors, as of 30 July 2015 you need ACR 9.1.1 for D810 NEF files. This is still compatible with CS6 but I noticed I have an older version in Lightroom 5.7 so you may have to upgrade Lightroom. You can still buy the standalone upgrade version of Lightroom. There shouldn't be any need to subscribe CC.

https://nikonrumors.com/2015/07/30/the-latest-adobe-update-fixes-the-nikon-d810-adobe-standard-profile-bug.aspx/

Hi Steve,

I open my D810 raw files in View NxI which is free to download. I then make any raw adjustments required, convert to tiff files,

and open in Capture NX 2. The tiffs are 207mb. When i have finalised any further adjustments i reduce the tiff down to 60mb and submit.

Capture NX2 was never updated to process D810 raw files straight from camera.

Cheers

Craig

2 hours ago, steve harling said:

and what a surprise...!

lightroom will not open the nef files from the d810

anyone know of an update for this camera so LR will open raw 810 files ?

I downloaded two D810 RAW files from Photography Blog, opened fine in Adobe RAW, which applies to both Photoshop and Lightroom, at a guess your running old versions? New suite of both the above costs me about £8.00 a month, worth every penny for what is the industry standard software.

On 23/07/2017 at 20:24, David_Buzzard said:

Life is way too short to be using Nikon software.  It's slow, dated, and has a terrible user interface.  

Do yourself a favour and get the Adobe photo package, which is Photoshop and Lightroom for US$ 10 per month.  Adobe will send you upgrades as part of the package.  Most of my work is done with Photoshop, but for larger jobs, Lightroom is great.  

If the D810 aren't opening in LR, you probably need to upgrade the software.  It's probably a version that's older than the D810 model, so it's not recognizing the files.

I totally agree. I downloaded the free Nikon NX-D to see what it was like after somebody here recommended it and I couldn't believe how slow it was on my pretty fast Mac - unusable in fact.

I think Nikon decided to submit to Adobe's far superior software capabilities to the extent that they announced some sort of mutual cooperation agreement a while back which I presume will allow Adobe access to the inner workings of Nikon raw files. I guess Nikon still have to produce a token raw converter for their cameras but it is not really intended for professional use (or any serious amateur use either in my opinion). Thankfully Nikon are still doing what they do best - producing superb DSLRs and lenses.

And yes Steve - do try out the Adobe photo package - it is excellent value and the LR part is easy to use once you get used to it. A lot of new stuff has been added since the D810 came on the market as well. Messing about with various converters and old software is probably going to be false economy as you will be spending time doing things that could be better spent elsewhere. The D810 is a truly fantastic camera and the files deserve the best treatment. You are probably making a trivial mistake which should be easily resolved in Lightroom.

Thanks all for your input and help, i know the minimum size of file for submission, anyone know the maximum of the top of your heads for submission ?

You only begin to realize the size of these 810 files when you start sending jpgs out, takes an age to send reduced files !

i agree , nikon software is slow and crash happy,does the job for smaller workflows though at the moment till i get adobe sorted

but it is a truly remarkable camera though,images at 64 are medium format quality, almost.!! it does bring back memories of film days and being frugal with shots though when you get 99 shots on a 8mb card !

steve

2 hours ago, steve harling said:

Thanks all for your input and help, i know the minimum size of file for submission, anyone know the maximum of the top of your heads for submission ?

It was 200 MB pixel dimensions (uncompressed file size) for years. Anything larger would not be automatically rejected. The file size on disk is irrelevant lest there be any confusion. However, I recently accidentally submitted a big pano that was >200 MB from my D810 and it was not rejected so perhaps there is no upper limit anymore.

I now work about 95% of the time with D800's and I get a 204MB 16bit TIFF to work from (7360 by at 300DPI)

I process all NEF (Nikon RAW) files in Lightroom.  I do downsize a small amount for upload to Alamy.

Steve,  I do not know what glass you are using, but the D800 series are great DSLR's and you owe it to yourself

to at least understand the equipment that you are working with.

24 minutes ago, GS-Images said:

I wasn't aware of an uncompressed limit before, but then I never uploaded anything that large. I've done a few panos in recent months and according to the "Alamy SizeChecker" software, the compressed filesize has been too large, so I have downsized until the software tells me it's within limits. The compressed size limit seems to be 25MB, but I'm not sure if that's just the software that has it wrong or whether that limit still stands with Alamy.

Geoff.

The Alamy SizeChecker is out of date in that respect. That 25MB compressed size used to be a recommendation several years ago but I'm not sure it was ever applied in the same way as the 200MB uncompressed was - files automatically rejected. Since typical compressed JPEG files from a 36MP D800 series camera will often be greater than 25MB on disk depending on the content of the file, it wouldn't make sense to have a limit like this nowadays.

• 2 weeks later...
On 23/07/2017 at 10:29, steve harling said:

Hi all

Got a bit of an issue with a new body,a d810

a raw, uncompressed 14 bit file is coming out at 71.6 mb, when edited and saved as a jpeg its being shrunk to 734.5 kb !!! in nx-2, its too small to use.

the raw uncompressed file on a d700 is coming out at 18.2 mb for the same scene, when edited and saved as a jpeg its size is 4.1 mb, more like it !

i aint the best when it comes to computer/ file stuff, what am i doing wrong here with the d810 settings, i would expect the saved jpeg to be a lot larger than 734.5 kb !

if anyone can shed any light/ help here much appreciated

Steve

Steve, are you still having issues? I also have a D810 & use Photoshop/Lightroom CC which costs about £7 per month. The Nikon software is very basic.

I'd be pleased to help if you still need it.

12 hours ago, Orange Elephant said:

Steve, are you still having issues? I also have a D810 & use Photoshop/Lightroom CC which costs about £7 per month. The Nikon software is very basic.

I'd be pleased to help if you still need it.

No, all clear now, with the workflow i have at the mo i am using the nikon nx to convert the files to tiff then using nx2 for final adj.

(That is when it stops crashing, i guess nikon never has been the best at software, they make nice lenses though, and the cameras aint half bad either, i,ll tell you what, this d 810 surprises with the detail it will capture, i wish i had a got one sooner.)

Anyone had issues with raw files from this camera and photomatix hdr,?  my files are coming out green with the latest edition, pro 6.02 i think

very strange !

Archived