'Old" News images - keyboarding & captions

Over the last few months I've started submitting News images - mainly weather and a few 'events' - with a little bit of success here and there. A couple of things I'm not sure about if someone could help please? I've checked the Alamy advice pages and forum but can't find the answers so if I've missed them I apologise!

I believe the images stay on the News feed for 48-hours and after that they are moved into 'normal' stock. At that point I've been adding keywords - I think that's when we're supposed to do it or can it be done sooner? But what about captioning (which is the News caption as originally input) - should I amend that to delete the news references and maybe mention in Additional Info that it was originally a news image OR just leave it as it is (afterall it's fairly descriptive).

One other point - can anyone recommend a decent method (App?) that allows you to enter the IPTC keyword / caption fields whilst using an iPhone. I can wifi images from cameras to phone whilst out in the field and edit them in Lightroom Mobile so I could upload from there for speed if only I could get the IPTC details entered on the phone. Am I missing something obvious there? At the moment I have to wait until I get home to upload via a MacBook or iMac. The weather images tend to be in some remote areas (e.g. on the North York Moors but with mobile coverage in some areas) so by the time I drive home etc I've lost valuable time.

Many thanks

Gary

Evidently I've topped and tailed some of my news captions to remove location and the "live news" bit, but not others. That could just be my evolving captioning style. I don't think you can keyword till they drop off the feed, but most of what I need is in the caption anyway, and with what we now know about high caption search significance that's just as well.

I've never licensed a live news image, btw.

You can keyword to your hearts content as soon as they appear in your AIM, in my case around 5 minutes after uploading to news ftp, I also add info that i might have missed ie: UK Weather, doh

Yes, I do the same. Just the most obvious keywords, and also the optional info, purely so that I don't have to worry about watching the clock tick round to when they become stock. I can worry about padding it out when I've got time.

Your news pictures will always be news pictures and will carry the legend  "This image could have imperfections as it’s either historical or reportage."

You can keyword before uploading in the usual way, I generally keyword in LR, but I guess where time is of the essence you might prefer to skip that step.

I have left the original caption in some instances and edited it in others, it's up to you.

"Iphone", presumably not steam powered or hand cranked like my vintage portable telephone.... :rolleyes:  

Adobe Lightroom has a mobile version, but I've never used it.  You could probably keyword your images on that.  Personally, I'd be packing a laptop for that work.

Thanks. Yes, I use LR Mobile quite a bit on my phone to edit but I don't think it allows you to enter IPTC data. The laptop probably isn't practical to carry in my backpack when out walking on these trips and I'd still have to transfer images from that to phone to upload. Just trying to get a method to go from camera to phone then to edit / caption etc in phone then upload. It's the IPTC headline / caption bit in phone that I'm struggling with.

Thanks to everyone for the keyboarding advice etc. 

Your news pictures will always be news pictures and will carry the legend  "This image could have imperfections as it’s either historical or reportage."

My workflow includes going back through the images after the dust has settled, picking out the better images, editing, re-uploading for stock and deleting the news copy.

The laptop probably isn't practical to carry in my backpack when out walking on these trips and I'd still have to transfer images from that to phone to upload. Just trying to get a method to go from camera to phone then to edit / caption etc in phone then upload. It's the IPTC headline / caption bit in phone that I'm struggling with.

I picked up a cheap 12" laptop (with SD slot) from Ebay and use a 'Myfi' device for those functions. Not too heavy

I spend quite a lot of time working on old news images, re-editing, re-keywording, recaptioning and finding images I didn't submit at the time as live news but make good stock.

I often upload straight from camera JPEGs in a hurry at a news event that deserve a bit more work in photoshop to make a good stock image. I also change captions. I have a lot of portraits of politicians I took at a recent event in London. The details of the event (welcoming a new MP to Westminster) were relevant when it was a news story, but irrelevant to stock shots of politicians and it means searches for the new MP in question would bring up head shots of other people.

I tend to move the news caption to 'further info' on the optional page and add a much simpler, relevant caption.

I checked my sales this morning and found one of the above pics has sold - a straight portrait of Angus Robertson taken in Westminster, the situation unimportant.

To be honest most events I cover are in London where I am surrounded by photographers working directly for the national papers and I tend to look on them more as opportunities to get stock shots, though I always try to get and quickly upload the newsworthy stuff and hope I get lucky.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you - Shuttersnitch rings a bell!

I had a similar question, but don't need an app to transfer from camera to iPad as I can use a card reader. But I wondered if there is something that can put in captions etc if using for live news. I have Lightroom on iMac, but purchased it outright so can't use the mobile version.

Does anyone know if there is something that can do this?

shuttersnitch.....it doesnt care how the pix get into the device (wifi / card / built-in camera etc)

adds headline/caption/keywords

then send out to the NewsFeed by FTP

km

OK, thanks, I will look into it.

You can keyword to your hearts content as soon as they appear in your AIM, in my case around 5 minutes after uploading to news ftp, I also add info that i might have missed ie: UK Weather, doh

Any changes to caption in AIM will also update within the Live News feed so if one has made a mistake in the rush to get news stuff up ASAP, it can be fixed.

Archived