I have a series of vintage cars taken at a parade on Australia Day. This means there are crowds and plenty of distraction around them.

Some have very punchy colours, yellow, turquoise, red and white. I'm thinking that they would do well as a cut out.

Given that there are already 165,000 vintage cars on Alamy and only 1,000 of them are cut outs, do you think it would be a good idea?

Thanks.

Gen

If I were selling photos of vintage cars, I would be looking at the individual models rather than the fact they're vintage cars. That would be my benchmark when comparing numbers on Alamy.

Alan

car cutout = 4792

car cut out = 6802

car cut outs = 612

car isolated = 71,326

car isolated on white = 18,350

car vintage = 166,194

car vintage isolated = 5837

I sell some clipped cars. Most of my sales were via Microstock on my best days in the mid 2000's. I've sold some via Alamy but in recent years it is only the "real classics", not just of any old vintage. Yours will likely have people to deal with and may not end up in commercial uses without model releases. The challenges include: the clipping time required, creating a decent grounding shadow (to offer with and without), removing decals and badges and licence plates (assuming for commercial use), making glass and windows appear natural, removing reflections that no longer make sense when the car is removed from it's environment (clouds, people, buildings, light posts), identifying year make and model for search terms.

Reflections are a real problem. The front bumper reflects blades of grass, windows show tree reflections, etc. A nightmare.

That settles it, no cut-out.

I've licensed a straight one before so I guess they sell as is.

Thank you all. 

As someone who has done " classic autos"   I suggest that you check out

Michael Furman, best in the business.

Wow! That's another league.

I'm with you on the cellar Ed! Although I do admire nice old cars. Some are exquisite in their attention to details. Nothing like today's!

Archived