Battery contact cleaning

I have no expertise in this, but I noticed that James May in 'The Reassembler' used a fibreglass pencil to clean the copper contacts on the armature of the electric motor of his model Flying Scotsman'. Maplin and Hobbycraft sell them. Maplin has a warning not to let the fibreglass dust get on your fingers, so it may be worth researching further to see if there is any implication of risk for sensitive equipment.

An eraser, especially one intended for ink rather than pencil, used to be recommended for cleaning electrical contacts. Be careful to clean off the debris but is probably less damaging than fibreglass or especially emery.

This works for me, too; even the rubber on the end of a pencil will often do the trick.  I always keep one in my camera bag.

• 2 weeks later...

Extending this to include lens contacts, where debris has to be avoided, and plastic parts may be soluble in strong cleaning solution, what has been found to be effective.

I currently use dry cotton buds, they do work, but I would like to find a better solution. Maybe some solvent that won't attack plastic?

See if you can find some (film) negative cleaner.  Just dip the Q-tip in that and clean the camera contacts with that.  I do it about once a month, and the Q-tips ends up almost black.  You can also use those little sealed packets you get for cleaning eye glasses.  I always carry a bunch of those in my camera back for cleaning cameras in the field.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Strange thing is that I have NEVER had to clean battery or camera/lens contacts.

Allan

Welcome to the world of the Sony CSC Allan. I never had to with my Canon gear, but, with my admittedly hard pressed and much abused NEX, I find that the lens contacts need the occasional scrub. The auto focus lenses just cease to work, you fear the worst, but, to date, cleaning the contacts has provided a cure. In fairness I use mainly prime lenses so am continually changing glass, which can't help.

Archived