New Sony RX100 or Used Sony RX-100 M2

Okay, I am very impressed. Picked up my camera today (m2) and it is awesome!  Walked around the mall and test shot all over the place.  Took shots in Cineplex where it is really dark except for lights from the refreshment stand and the arcade.  Shots were all 1/30 or 1/40 with ISO's of 800 = 1260 and sharp as anything, and no colour noise!

Now I am looking forward to playing with running the camera with my tablet.

I am in love.

Jill

Okay, I am very impressed. Picked up my camera today (m2) and it is awesome! Walked around the mall and test shot all over the place. Took shots in Cineplex where it is really dark except for lights from the refreshment stand and the arcade. Shots were all 1/30 or 1/40 with ISO's of 800 = 1260 and sharp as anything, and no colour noise!

I am in love.

Jill

So happy you like it, Jill. Like I said, the little camera opens up venues you might hesitate using a larger camera. People somehow don't seem threatened by it if they notice it at all. At least in my part of the world.

I'm always a bit surprised at what it can accomplish, even after several years. I bought the M1, then thought I'd left it on the seat of a restaurant. It's nice for shooting food! I quickly ordered the M3. Two months later, I found the M1 under my car seat. So I have two, and haven't been motivated to sell the M1. They are hard to let go of. :D

Okay, I am very impressed. Picked up my camera today (m2) and it is awesome! Walked around the mall and test shot all over the place. Took shots in Cineplex where it is really dark except for lights from the refreshment stand and the arcade. Shots were all 1/30 or 1/40 with ISO's of 800 = 1260 and sharp as anything, and no colour noise!

I am in love.

Jill

So happy you like it, Jill. Like I said, the little camera opens up venues you might hesitate using a larger camera. People somehow don't seem threatened by it if they notice it at all. At least in my part of the world.

I'm always a bit surprised at what it can accomplish, even after several years. I bought the M1, then thought I'd left it on the seat of a restaurant. It's nice for shooting food! I quickly ordered the M3. Two months later, I found the M1 under my car seat. So I have two, and haven't been motivated to sell the M1. They are hard to let go of. :D

Fun to use the tablet remote.  Wish it had more individual camera control, but haven't really explored it a lot.

Seems to be the perfect street photography camera.  Looking forward to my next trip to Toronto to have some fun with it.

Jill

It had happened after about 10,000 exposures.  I had dropped it a couple of times, so maybe I damaged something.

Peter, how did you check the shutter count on that little Sony, I wonder? 

I have the RX100-M3 and I would not be happy without the EVF that is not on the M1 or M2.

Edo,

For file numbers,I just keep the file number setting in Series.  I also keep a spreadsheet record of my images uploaded to Alamy that cross references the file number, with my Alamy fie number and the Alamy reference.

As files from the RX100 were added to my collection most days it was easy to look back and see when the file numbering changed for any reason, for example it went back to zero when the camera was sent for repair.

For my Olympus and Panasonic cameras, there is a procedure for checking actual shutter counts, but I have not found such a thing for the Sony RX100 or RX10.

Peter

• 7 months later...

Just received my Sony RX100 from a reputable department store on Oxford Street (£349 + £50 cashback!). Must admit that I am also smitten. Decided to go for the RX100 rather than the more expensive RX100 M3 as the viewfinder seemed a bit too small to be of much help. My question is how to I get Lightroom (6.1.1) to recognise the camera so that I can apply the appropriate Lens Correction in the Develop Module of Lightroom? Anyone know? Thanks in advance. 

BW, John

17 hours ago, Jansos said:

Just received my Sony RX100 from a reputable department store on Oxford Street (£349 + £50 cashback!). Must admit that I am also smitten. Decided to go for the RX100 rather than the more expensive RX100 M3 as the viewfinder seemed a bit too small to be of much help. My question is how to I get Lightroom (6.1.1) to recognise the camera so that I can apply the appropriate Lens Correction in the Develop Module of Lightroom? Anyone know? Thanks in advance. 

BW, John

LR 6.1.1 will apply lens corrections completely automatically to the raw files.

20 hours ago, M.Chapman said:

LR 6.1.1 will apply lens corrections completely automatically to the raw files.

OK - thanks. So I don't need to play around with 'Enable Profile Corrections' as the camera and lens is automatically detected by Lightroom?

3 hours ago, Bill Brooks said:

“Enable profile Corrections” means that lightroom will automatically detect the lens so you do need to “Enable profile Corrections”.

If you do not “Enable profile Corrections” the lens will not be detected.

I can't comment on all versions of LR or the Sony RX100. But in LR 6.12 with ACR 9.12 and my Sony RX100 MkIII it isn't necessary to Enable Profile Corrections. In fact the corrections can't be disabled (which is a shame as I sometimes like to recover lost pixels from the frame corners). Even with Enable Profile Corrections unticked, LR shows a message "Built in Lens Profile Applied". Enabling or disabling the Profile Correction makes no difference to the processed image.  I believe the reason for this is that the lens distortion corrections are stored as parameters in the Sony Raw file, and hence a separate "Adobe" lens correction profile isn't needed or used. The same happens with my Lumix G5. The camera stores the distortion, vignetting and CA corrections required for the lens and focal length in use inside the RAW file and LR always applies it.  

Mark

17 hours ago, Bill Brooks said:

“Enable profile Corrections” means that lightroom will automatically detect the lens so you do need to “Enable profile Corrections”.

If you do not “Enable profile Corrections” the lens will not be detected.

It's a fixed lens camera and all corrections are sorted in the Sony raw file, so no need to select this option in Lightroom

On 9/9/2017 at 11:36, dmj said:

It's a fixed lens camera and all corrections are sorted in the Sony raw file, so no need to select this option in Lightroom

The required corrections are stored in the raw file. LR automatically applies them. Some of the other RAW convertors (DXO, RawTherapee) can open the Sony Raw files without applying any correction. This can be useful for recovering the pixels that get discarded during distortion correction to recover a wider field of view (for example).

RX100_distortion_correction.jpg

On the left is a wide angle RAW file from the Sony RX100 opened on LR6.1 (which has automatically applied distortion correction). On the right is the same RAW file opened in DXO Optics 9 (with distortion correction disabled). These neatly illustrate how much barrel distortion the RX100 MkIII lens has at its widest angle setting and how many pixels are discarded (somewhat more than are needed to correct for distortion alone at the top and bottom in this image). This can be useful when needing to recover some inadvertently cropped feature from the image.

Mark 

Archived