Sometimes you have to accept defeat?

So I spent an age messing about with an image taken within a cathedral. Combined layers with different degrees of noise reduction etc. The result was OK, probably QC worthy, but not brilliant.

Before uploading I checked to see what was available on Alamy. There were quite a few shots a bit like mine, but one outstanding effort - presumably the TOG had got access with a tripod to places where Joe Public was not allowed. 

I decided not to submit, but I'll keep it as I was amazed by the building.

I guess that there would be a slim chance of my image being used if a hard pressed journo/editor only looked at the most recent shots, but, in reality, it would probably only damage my CTR. Difficult call.....

So I spent an age messing about with an image taken within a cathedral. Combined layers with different degrees of noise reduction etc. The result was OK, probably QC worthy, but not brilliant.

Before uploading I checked to see what was available on Alamy. There were quite a few shots a bit like mine, but one outstanding effort - presumably the TOG had got access with a tripod to places where Joe Public was not allowed. 

I guess that there would be a slim chance of my image being used if a hard pressed journo/editor only looked at the most recent shots, but, in reality, it would probably only damage my CTR. Difficult call.....

I was pleasantly surprised to get a sale of the interior of a famous UK Cathedral a couple of months ago. Why they picked mine over the other competing images I'll never know, but I'll take the sale just the same. :) The image was taken handheld from just outside the "pay to enter" area and it took some effort in processing to improve lighting, composition and symmetry. Maybe they liked the rows of chairs that I included in the frame, and the lack of people, who knows?

I was pleasantly surprised to get a sale of the interior of a famous UK Cathedral a couple of months ago. Why they picked mine over the other competing images I'll never know, but I'll take the sale just the same. :) The image was taken handheld from just outside the "pay to enter" area and it took some effort in processing to improve lighting, composition and symmetry. Maybe they liked the rows of chairs that I included in the frame, and the lack of people, who knows?

I've had similar experiences. It isn't always possible to predict what will appeal to buyers. The "perfect" images aren't always the ones they settle on -- i.e. there can be victory in defeat sometimes. 

Interesting responses folks. I don't use different pseudos at present, and not sure that I want to use that facility.

Some wise words from Brian, you never stop learning.

This was one a set of photos taken in Germany and I have just found out that they have pretty stringent privacy laws there. People photos need to have releases if they can be regarded as the main subject of the photo. Another one (Tour guide with party, generally a potential seller) down the drain....

Interesting responses folks. I don't use different pseudos at present, and not sure that I want to use that facility.

Some wise words from Brian, you never stop learning.

This was one a set of photos taken in Germany and I have just found out that they have pretty stringent privacy laws there. People photos need to have releases if they can be regarded as the main subject of the photo. Another one (Tour guide with party, generally a potential seller) down the drain....

Wow! Releases needed even for editorial use? What do German newspapers do?

I'm no expert on this John, but searching the net, there appears to be exceptions, for example VIPs, public meetings, genuine news stories etc, while you can include people if they are not the main subject of the photo, e.g shot of a building with people in foreground. My view is that it's best to be safe than sorry, so any marginal cases won't be used.

I'm no expert on this John, but searching the net, there appears to be exceptions, for example VIPs, public meetings, genuine news stories etc, while you can include people if they are not the main subject of the photo, e.g shot of a building with people in foreground. My view is that it's best to be safe than sorry, so any marginal cases won't be used.

Gemany does indeed have "right of personality" but of course it only applies to Germany as such. No reason not to submit, I have plenty of unreleased German subjects and have made German sales with them.

Put many lines in the water, use different bait and you'll catch many fishes! <_<

Just be careful you don't catch a crab. :D

Allan

Put many lines in the water, use different bait and you'll catch many fishes! <_<

Just be careful you don't catch a crab. :D

Allan

"Crabs" also bring in money. I use crab pots for those ^_^

C0YR0T.jpg

Cheers,

Philippe

"Catching a crab" or "To catch a crab" is a term used in rowing circles in the UK. It basically means the rower has messed up by missing a stroke because his/her oar did not enter the water or caught on something below the water.

It has come into general use for anyone who has "cocked up". Another term for messing up. Or got it wrong.

Allan

Archived