Adobe Lightroom 4 update glitch

Wanted to share my experience and caution...Adobe released an update for Lightroom 4.  This update is supposed to change the version from 4.4 to 4.4.1 and is to provide additional raw support for new cameras as well as improve the cloning functionality.

I tried to update Lightroom 4 and it disappeared.  No more shortcuts.  I went to the folder where Lightroom 4 resides and tried to launch the application.  An error message indicated that a .dll file was missing.  I rolled back my computer to reflect programs prior to the update.  I rebooted the computer.  Once complete, I tried to launch Lightroom - it could not find my image catalog.  I tried to launch a backup of my image catalog and it could not launch it.  I tried to create a new catalog and Lightroom could not do it.  I tried to install Lightroom 4 again and got all the same results.

I went to the Adobe website and downloaded the trial version of Lightroom 5.  I had no issues installing the software and updating the Lightroom 4 catalog.

Given the antics Adobe has been playing with relation to the software license, I'm a little disappointed here.  I ended up having to upgrade to Lightroom 5 despite not wanting to.  I wanted to pass along the heads up of what *might* happen if you try to apply this update.

Cheers.

Wow. I bought LR5 myself because I wanted the new prospective-control tool and the promise of a zippier ride. But I don't like these stories about Adobe's new thuggish attitude. This is yet another example of the greater digital industry's attitude of screwing those useless creative guys and gals.  Music, writing, photography and now films, all playing the vast amount of FNG's against one another.  :(

Wanted to share my experience and caution...Adobe released an update for Lightroom 4.  This update is supposed to change the version from 4.4 to 4.4.1 and is to provide additional raw support for new cameras as well as improve the cloning functionality.

I tried to update Lightroom 4 and it disappeared.  No more shortcuts.  I went to the folder where Lightroom 4 resides and tried to launch the application.  An error message indicated that a .dll file was missing.  I rolled back my computer to reflect programs prior to the update.  I rebooted the computer.  Once complete, I tried to launch Lightroom - it could not find my image catalog.  I tried to launch a backup of my image catalog and it could not launch it.  I tried to create a new catalog and Lightroom could not do it.  I tried to install Lightroom 4 again and got all the same results.

I can believe that unfortunately. The last update LR4 I did definitely slowed it down. I have 20 gigs of ram too btw.  Not my imagination either. The connotations of that are not really worth going into. Thanks for the heads up. I cannot update to LR5 because I run Snow Leopard and it won't run on that afaik.

Thanks for the heads up, Ed.

Gervais, if this is any use, I've updated my imac from snow leopard to mountain lion 10.8.4 - £14 from the App Store.

But I've not tested with LR5 yet.

ann

Thanks for the heads up, Ed.

Gervais, if this is any use, I've updated my imac from snow leopard to mountain lion 10.8.4 - £14 from the App Store.

But I've not tested with LR5 yet.

ann

Ann are you referring to you also had issues with the Lr 4.4.1 update? And upgrading to Mountain cured the issue?

Personally, I never install new programs or an update to those I have until time goes by to see what bugs/issues become of it. Reading the things changed for the 4.4.1 update, I wouldn't install it anyway. All images I bring into Lr 4.4 from Lr 3.5, I make a virtual copy and change it to 2012 Current under Camera Calibration in the Dev module. Actually I have found some images that just look better for whatever reason left at 2010 process.

Ann are you referring to you also had issues with the Lr 4.4.1 update? And upgrading to Mountain cured the issue?

Charly, no I'm on LR 4.4, however, I have noticed LR seems faster with mountain lion.

In view of this, I'll only get LR5 with a new computer - which is not yet!

ann

This is going to give me nightmares tonight as I'm another LR4 user who can't upgrade yet due to an ageing Mac on an older OS so losing LR at this stage will be a calamity.

Have Adobe said anything anywhere about a fix or a 4.1.2?

Thanks very much for the heads-up.

Richard.

This is going to give me nightmares tonight as I'm another LR4 user who can't upgrade yet due to an ageing Mac on an older OS so losing LR at this stage will be a calamity.

Have Adobe said anything anywhere about a fix or a 4.1.2?

Thanks very much for the heads-up.

Richard.

Maybe too late for tonight's nightmares but you really shouldn't lose any sleep. Firstly, the updates are optional. Only update if there is a feature you need. Secondly, Ed is talking about Windows (no dll files on a Mac as far as I'm aware). All the previous updates are available from Adobe so on a Mac it is very simple to go back to an earlier version if there is a problem with an update. Normally just delete the new version and reinstall the older one. Just make sure you have spare copies of your catalogue file and previews before running an update. That is the most important thing.

.. Ed is talking about Windows ..

Ah, didn't catch that bit. Yes, with a Mac you can opt for a previous version though I've never had to reverse a version. And I never choose auto-updates anyway .. 

Thanks,

Richard. 

Archived