Removing license plate = digitally altered?

I've uploaded some car photos.

Before uploading I removed the license plates. (Some cars was private owned, most was dealer's cars).

So are these photos digitally altered or not?

I believe not, but something is removed from the photos...

What do you think?

Thanks!

Thanks!

The photos looks better with the license plates unaltered, but if the car is private owned I find it best to protect the owner.

Same with registered dealership cars, if case the car is sold to customer later with the same reg. number.

I don't bother if the car has "test plates".

I like the idea of change the license to a non existing combo.

Maybe next time.

"Protect the owner"

Why? The car is in a public place and the registration is read by anyone who passes by and by security cameras. 

Protect the owner? This is nonsense.

Yes they are digitally altered.  I no longer remove plate numbers.  The buyer can do that.  I just list them as property with no realeases.

Jill

Same Here.  Sometimes the Vanity License Plates add to the picture.  I have a friend whose Corvette plate reads 174MPH.

"Protect the owner"

Why? The car is in a public place and the registration is read by anyone who passes by and by security cameras.

See this forum. How many avatars show the country? How many avatars show male/female? Apparently identity protection is regarded important. I don't care, but others might. When in a street, I take a picture of a house facade, it takes a few seconds before the owner rushes out for an explanation. I can assure you, photographing private property isn't appreciated, whether it's a house or a car.

Cheers,

Philippe

+1 Its just showing a little respect, no point upsetting people when it's easy enough to avoid. If the image of a house is used for a story that the person who owned it didn't agree with, then it may cause problems. If it's possible to change house number / reg etc to make it less obvious then what's the harm. Unless the number is the picture ^^ private reg plate

If it's a classic car/oldtimer, the odds are the registration number is already filling up a few pages on Google and the owner is used to its being photographed. If not, all you can find out about the car in the UK is whether or not it's taxed and the authorities know that anyway. So I don't concern myself about it.

For a house, I sometimes include the street, but the only time I've ever quoted the number is for the house I grew up in. That's on Street View anyway.

Fact is, most of the time, people object but don't have a clue WHY.

Here's once more a little story I already told earlier this year:

I remember - many, many years ago - taking shots at the city park in my hometown Ghent. There is a waterfall where you can walk under. So, I was waiting for people to walk under it to make the picture more interesting. Unfortunately it were American tourists which came in view first. The guy noticed me taking a picture (of the waterfall, not so much him as a subject), came straight to me and told me in an angry voice "I'm going to sue you!" When I asked him "Why? What's the harm done?". He stood there several seconds not knowing what to answer and finally said "Because I can!" I gave him a little lecture about Belgium - the land of the free - and moved on.

In Europe, we never had problems like that in the past. Unfortunately, sueing each other is now becoming a "sport" as well.......... Because we can!

Now, when I want to photograph someone's solar panels on his roof, I ask permission first and give a little explanation. Just a matter of politeness and respect.

Cheers,

Philippe

A cautionary tale for sure. Next time wait for a Canadian tourist to come along. We're a lot nicer (not armed either). We might even come up to you and say, "Sorry I ruined your photo." B)

Fact is, most of the time, people object but don't have a clue WHY.

Here's once more a little story I already told earlier this year:

I remember - many, many years ago - taking shots at the city park in my hometown Ghent. There is a waterfall where you can walk under. So, I was waiting for people to walk under it to make the picture more interesting. Unfortunately it were American tourists which came in view first. The guy noticed me taking a picture (of the waterfall, not so much him as a subject), came straight to me and told me in an angry voice "I'm going to sue you!" When I asked him "Why? What's the harm done?". He stood there several seconds not knowing what to answer and finally said "Because I can!" I gave him a little lecture about Belgium - the land of the free - and moved on.

In Europe, we never had problems like that in the past. Unfortunately, sueing each other is now becoming a "sport" as well.......... Because we can!

Now, when I want to photograph someone's solar panels on his roof, I ask permission first and give a little explanation. Just a matter of politeness and respect.

Cheers,

Philippe

A cautionary tale for sure. Next time wait for a Canadian tourist to come along. We're a lot nicer (not armed either). We might even come up to you and say, "Sorry I ruined your photo." B)

Or an English one. We will either turn our backs to you, or face you smiling and waving. Either way your photo will be ruined. :P

Allan

Back on topic I have altered a car numberplate to produce a comical one but do not delete them. If I alter a numberplate I tick digitally altered.

ITMA ;)

If it's a classic car/oldtimer, the odds are the registration number is already filling up a few pages on Google and the owner is used to its being photographed. If not, all you can find out about the car in the UK is whether or not it's taxed and the authorities know that anyway. So I don't concern myself about it.

For a house, I sometimes include the street, but the only time I've ever quoted the number is for the house I grew up in. That's on Street View anyway.

Same in Canada. You can find out virtually nothing -- not by regular means at least -- about a car's owner from a license plate number. I discovered this last year when I tried to track down the owner of a vehicle who I thought might have backed into my car while it was parked.

I've never understood why people would alter the plate. Here in the US registration records aren't readily available to the public. In New York we have traffic, security,  EZ-Pass ( and even dashboard) cams recording plates throughout the City but only police and government agencies are supposed to have access to this data. Doesn't the City of London have similar cameras for Congestion Pricing? In the US plates aren't the property of car owners. Plates belong to each state's Department of Motor Vehicles and are supposed to be returned to DMV if the car is sold or moves out of the State.

I understand some people may be concerned if they believe someone is recording their behavior but it's a misplaced sense of privacy.

fD

In many Scandinavian, and European countries, the car info is "almost public".

If you enter the reg. number into an app, you can easily get the owner's name, if there is loan on the car, and if the MOT is done in time.

So if the car is private owned, and if nothing else is agreed with the owner, I think is ok, and maybe best, to remove the license plate/reg. number.

"Protect the owner"

See this forum. How many avatars show the country? How many avatars show male/female? Apparently identity protection is regarded important. I don't care, but others might. When in a street, I take a picture of a house facade, it only takes a few seconds before the owner rushes out for an explanation. I can assure you, photographing private property isn't appreciated, whether it's a house or a car.

Anyway, I wouldn't like to see a publication of my car (identifiable for my friends and family) parked in front of a brothel :unsure:

Cheers,

Philippe

You should park around the back :)

Archived