Moire - Removal and QC

I am just processing a few images of buildings where the tiled rooves are generating some very stubborn moire patterns. Not noticable at first glance, but they are at 100%.

I'm processing in Lightroom, using the adjustment brush and moire setting. Pushing the moire slider up to a level where the moire is no longer visible at all (around 55-60) is resulting in a loss of detail and kind of blurriness. 

Moire isn't mentioned in the QC failure PDF. So I was wondering if it would be acceptable to upload with the moire still there? Has anyone ever had a fail from moire? I don't want it in my images at all, but at this point it seems preferable to the loss of detail (which I'm guessing would be a QC fail anyway).

Advice and experiences appreciated  :)

Lizzy

Always a good idea to search old forum threads.

http://discussion.alamy.com/index.php?/topic/96-moir%C3%A9-i-left-it-in/

Thanks Niels - I guess the general consensus from that thread was just to leave it in as not a technical error as such... Hope QC specs haven't changed too much in the 3 years since! 

Lizzy - what camera were you using?

Pentax K-50.

I was just interested to find out if the camera you were using had the AA filter removed as there was a lot made of this when Nikon released the D800E with the AA filter cancelled. I've never seen moiré (yet thankfully) so I'm afraid I can't help with how to remove it. Well the Pentax K-50 has the AA filter so that is interesting. The previous thread is old and nobody has posted about it since so, if the forum is generally representative, moiré is not a very common problem.

As far as I'm aware, the Nikon D7100, that I own, was the first DSLR to not have that filter. In all the thousands of images I've taken with it, I recall seeing moire just twice. I was able to remove it in Lightroom without losing much detail, but I did have to find just the right slider setting on one of them so enough detail remained while still just about removing all the moire. Oddly though, in the thumbnail view of that image, i could see moire very badly even after correction.

Geoff

The D800E was first, released in 2012, the D7100 in 2013,

Thanks MDM and Geoff...

Yeah this is the first time I've encountered it at all... And hopefully I won't see it again for a very long time as it has been a massive pain!  Wonder why the filter didn't seem to work too well on this occasion... Maybe just a perfect combination of angle, straightness and settings... Dunno. Shame I probably won't be going back there as would have been perfect to just sit a while and see what the variables would be for reducing it (if any)... Unfortunately I didn't notice it at the time.

Oddly though, in the thumbnail view of that image, i could see moire very badly even after correction.

Could this have been a false moire on the thumbnail after correction? Something to do with the interaction of the image pattern with the pixel pattern of the monitor rather than in the image itself maybe? 

Yeah this is the first time I've encountered it at all... And hopefully I won't see it again for a very long time as it has been a massive pain!  Wonder why the filter didn't seem to work too well on this occasion... Maybe just a perfect combination of angle, straightness and settings... Dunno. Shame I probably won't be going back there as would have been perfect to just sit a while and see what the variables would be for reducing it (if any)... Unfortunately I didn't notice it at the time.

From what I've read, moiré can occur with any camera, with or without the anti-aliasing (or low pass) filter, but should be less likely to occur with a camera with the filter. I'm glad to say I've never seen it either way. I hope I'm not tempting fate here.

I saw it once on the roof of a house after I bought X-T1. It's never showed up again. I wonder if it's to do with the time of day and from which direction the light hits the pattern of the shingles? It was a sunny day.

I saw it in a suit coat with one of my Nikons. Closeup enough that the weave was apparent. Maybe the D300.

So there you go, mirrorless, non- mirrorless.

I saw it once on the roof of a house after I bought X-T1. It's never showed up again. I wonder if it's to do with the time of day and from which direction the light hits the pattern of the shingles? It was a sunny day.

I saw it in a suit coat with one of my Nikons. Closeup enough that the weave was apparent. Maybe the D300.

So there you go, mirrorless, non- mirrorless.

USA/UK

shingles/tiles Or roof tiles

In the UK shingles is a disease.

Allan

Shingle is also a collective noun meaning a mass of rounded pebbles although more commonly used as an adjective as in shingle beach (e.g. Dungeness in Kent). I've never seen moiré in shingle (keeping to topic).

I wonder if it's to do with the time of day and from which direction the light hits the pattern of the shingles? It was a sunny day.

Yes, I wondered the same as these were also on a very bright day. It was also super hot (by my British standards anyway haha, mid-late 80s) so I also wondered if the air temperature/ density could exaggerate it (either atmospherically or in camera with filter/sensor)... Couldn't immediately find anything on Google about environmental factors though so will probably never know!

Anyway, the pictures passed QC earlier today, hooray!  :D

I wonder if it's to do with the time of day and from which direction the light hits the pattern of the shingles? It was a sunny day.

Yes, I wondered the same as these were also on a very bright day. It was also super hot (by my British standards anyway haha, mid-late 80s) so I also wondered if the air temperature/ density could exaggerate it (either atmospherically or in camera with filter/sensor)... Couldn't immediately find anything on Google about environmental factors though so will probably never know!

Anyway, the pictures passed QC earlier today, hooray!  :D

Good! No more sweating it.

I've failed QC once for heat haze, and that was in suburban Essex, on a not particularly hot day, so watch out for that. Dubai was no problem with temperatures in the 90s.

I have scrapped a few good images in this country due to heat haze which cannot be repeated.

Allan

..deleted ..  

You must have found it? Hehe. It's an option under the adjustment brush, which I'm guessing you know now.  :)

Geoff.

yep and read the other thread which had other suggestions also :) 

Archived