Keyword Question

If I'm keywording the exterior of a store, do I put the town and state (and USA) in comprehensive? I the case of a chain store with locations in different towns and states, would the buyer want to know what town it was located in?

I realize that a one of a kind store should have the full location, but I'm unsure about the chain stores.

The reason I'm asking is that somebody recently used "Oklahoma" in a search and I'm sure that brought up a lot of my storefronts, which I doubt they were interested in.

Do I put all of the location in comprehensive and just take the CTR hit because location is important to my images?

Betty

If location is unimportant I just leave it in the caption. That will push it down a search on the place name only. A buyer, particularly news, might want an image of a particular branch.

I omit it if it's completely irrelevant, but only for things like cakes and glasses of beer, not for a building. I have very few images with no reference to location at all.

You can't worry too much about very wide searches. They never turn into sales.

Matt is right, sometimes newspapers need the specific store, not just any example of that chain of stores. Any buyer who just enters the name of a town should not be surprised to bring up all kinds of things which may not be relevant to their needs. I would always include the location somewhere in the list of keywords, albeit usually somewhere near the end.

You all are the voice of reason, which supports what I've been doing. It's just that broad search under "Oklahoma" that knocked my reason off track.

I guess that person was fishing for ideas without knowing what they wanted.

Oklahoma is quite a big place... :-) I presume you are also including the town within Oklahoma and the street within the town in your keywords somewhere also (I'm sure you are given you've been doing this longer than me.)

Yes, I include he town, but not the street. I should do that, I guess. :( anyone want to volunteer to revisit all of those?

Oklahoma is quite a big place... :-)

Not to mention a musical..... :)

Oh, yeah, my beloved Oklahoma University has the song as their...um, theme? Fight song? All I know is when I watch them play football, (American football, of course) the band plays it at every break. They play a few bars of the song then add a musical beat with drums at the end. Gets the blood stirred up. :)

I take that back. Boomer Sooner is the fight song, but they still play a few bars of the song Oklahoma.

• 3 weeks later...

If I'm keywording the exterior of a store, do I put the town and state (and USA) in comprehensive? I the case of a chain store with locations in different towns and states, would the buyer want to know what town it was located in?

I realize that a one of a kind store should have the full location, but I'm unsure about the chain stores.

The reason I'm asking is that somebody recently used "Oklahoma" in a search and I'm sure that brought up a lot of my storefronts, which I doubt they were interested in.

Do I put all of the location in comprehensive and just take the CTR hit because location is important to my images?

Betty

I always put the location in the date and location screen but not always in the main keywords.  Had a storefront sell this month but not sure what the keywords they were searching were.  I also had one sell this month of a brewery and did add the location as this was big expansion in the eastern US.  I don't know if the date and location screen is searchable.  The craft brewery business is big in eastern NC.  I took the tour and they allowed me to take all the pictures that I wanted and join the tasting.  So far two have sold from that outing so good days work. 

Sounds good to me. I am putting location in comprehensive and location field. But if it is a generic image that can be found or produced worldwide I am not. Which rarely happens.

For instance, food dishes that I cook and photograph like a bowl of ham and pinto beans (or navy beans) with cornbread, I add location. (Which has sold) That dish is Southern US cooking. Oklahoma isn't classified as a Southern state, but we're close enough that we have influences from them. As we do Tex-Mex.

I realized through friends from other states they never heard of cornbread and beans. Their bean dishes in the eastern and northern states are baked beans, with a tomato-based sweet sauce. Those are made in Oklahoma, too, but not as a main dish, but a side. Beans and cornbread is/are the main course. Served with raw onions on the side for those (like me) who love onions.

So yeah, location is important.

Sounds good to me. I am putting location in comprehensive and location field. But if it is a generic image that can be found or produced worldwide I am not. Which rarely happens.

For instance, food dishes that I cook and photograph like a bowl of ham and pinto beans (or navy beans) with cornbread, I add location. (Which has sold) That dish is Southern US cooking. Oklahoma isn't classified as a Southern state, but we're close enough that we have influences from them. As we do Tex-Mex.

I realized through friends from other states they never heard of cornbread and beans. Their bean dishes in the eastern and northern states are baked beans, with a tomato-based sweet sauce. Those are made in Oklahoma, too, but not as a main dish, but a side. Beans and cornbread is/are the main course. Served with raw onions on the side for those (like me) who love onions.

So yeah, location is important.

Cornbread and beans sound good to me.  Just add a little chopped onion.

Yup,location may sure get your image IN at times. I was twice successful with the exterior images of a restaurant at Corbett National Park, as it is somewhat rare to have a restaurant inside a national park. Besides my keyword, there was no other hint that the location  was Corbett Park. And, the image was indeed used in the context of Corbett Park.

I always add the location. If a user uses a very broad search he wont be mad for receiving one image that is related to that location, even if it is a typical dish.

If he needs something more specific he will add more keywords.

The only thing that would bother a buyer is spammimg, that is, adding a fake location or things that are not in your image just to get some hits.

Archived