Mac - System upgrade El Capitan

Apple has been offering an OS upgrade (El Capitan) for MACs since last fall.  Has anybody experienced any issues with any of the Photoshop products from this upgrade?

Thanks

Don

There were some early issues (not mentioned in Ed's thread by the way) with Lightroom losing tethering capabilities with Nikon cameras which I think has been sorted out some time back but I don't use tethering so not sure. Photoshop CS6 and CC lost the scrubby zoom feature which I find almost indispensible but this got sorted a long time back. I expect that all major issues have been sorted by now.

EDIT: The tethering issue was resolved for Nikon cameras some months back with LR6.4 but not for Leicas apparently.

I deliberately held back (as I do with most upgrades) until a week ago when I downloaded. Took and hour or so and happy to confirm absolutely no issues with anything including Photoshop or Lightroom and plug-ins.

As mentioned in the thread Ed cites, I had a number of USB issues with the earlier version of El Capitan, particularly with my Nikon cameras and 3tb eternal drive. One I forgot to mention was that some of the key commands in Lightroom changed. Command F no longer gave the the Find function. I had to use the menu instead.

I finally gave up and went back to Yosemite so I have no idea whether or not these issues have been resolved.

fD

As mentioned in the thread Ed cites, I had a number of USB issues with the earlier version of El Capitan, particularly with my Nikon cameras and 3tb eternal drive. One I forgot to mention was that some of the key commands in Lightroom changed. Command F no longer gave the the Find function. I had to use the menu instead.

I finally gave up and went back to Yosemite so I have no idea whether or not these issues have been resolved.

fD

That is not the case for me - command - F works as it should and I don't recall seeing anything like this. I'm using LR6.5 and MacOs 10.11.4 (El Capitan latest update). The most significant problems with LR were caused by Adobe with their 6.3 (or was it 6.2) but they rectified that rapidly after enormous outcry from users and it wasn't OS specific.

Bridge (CS5) tends to crash a lot.  Lightroom takes longer to launch.  In fact, in general I seem to see more spinning wheels than I used to.

Not seen any problem with Bridge (CS6) . What version of LR are you using?

That is not the case for me - command - F works as it should and I don't recall seeing anything like this. I'm using LR6.5 and MacOs 10.11.4 (El Capitan latest update). The most significant problems with LR were caused by Adobe with their 6.3 (or was it 6.2) but they rectified that rapidly after enormous outcry from users and it wasn't OS specific.

I'm using LR 5 on a late 2012 MacMini, 16 gb ram, Apple Wireless Keyboard. I believe this was the first and second release of El Capitan. Later versions may have resolved some issues.

I'm using LR 5 on a late 2012 MacMini, 16 gb ram, Apple Wireless Keyboard. I believe this was the first and second release of El Capitan. Later versions may have resolved some issues.

I wonder could it have something to do with the wireless keyboard. In any case, I don't think there is a lot to be gained from upgrading from Yosemite. I tend to upgrade out of curiosity and if I don't have problems I stick with it.

Bridge (CS5) tends to crash a lot.  Lightroom takes longer to launch.  In fact, in general I seem to see more spinning wheels than I used to.

Not seen any problem with Bridge (CS6) . What version of LR are you using?

LR6.4.  It's the standalone version, not CC.  In fact, it was upgrading to this that forced me to move to El Capitan.  I understand the problem with Bridge (CS5) is quite commonplace, judging from the forums.  I can work around it by using mini-Bridge, which does everything I want (occasional keywording of the odd image that has been exported from Lightroom) so it's not a problem.  Incidentally, Ctrl+F works for me in LR although I never use it!

When I did this I could no longer access my backups on external drives. All my pictures or most of them are on external drives. I went on the internet and saw that it was a common problem. Thanks to time machine I quick reverted to my old system. 

When I did this I could no longer access my backups on external drives. All my pictures or most of them are on external drives. I went on the internet and saw that it was a common problem. Thanks to time machine I quick reverted to my old system. 

I think there was an early issue with people running Western Digital drives and using WD software but I'm pretty sure that was resolved a long time ago.

I don't know about Western Digital but I had problems with my relatively new Seagate 3tb drive. El Capitan would eject the drive randomly and sometimes wouldn't see it at all. Oddly enough, my older 1tb Seagate external drive was fine. Macs don't require any additional software for Seagate drives and I have no idea whether or not this has been resolved.

As I mentioned in another thread, Adobe CS6 Bridge couldn't see my Nikon cameras when connected directly to my computer via USB though I was able to transfer photos via USB with Lightroom 5 or with a Card Reader. The built-in SD slot was able to read SD cards without any issues.

Yes there is an unresolved problem with Bridge's Get Photos from Camera and it's not just Nikon cameras. I used to use it for getting pics off my iPhone and it no longer works since El Capitan. I'd forgotten that as I always use a card reader for pics from my camera.

• 4 months later...

Finally I decided to update to El Capitan, especially now Sierra is available.

How long does it take to download and intall El Capitan?

Do I need to disable 'sleep' so that the mac is on all the time before download?

Many thanks

Sung

Edit:  I added the second question.

Finally I decided to update to El Capitan, especially now Sierra is available.

How long does it take to download and intall El Capitan?

Do I need to disable 'sleep' so that the mac is on all the time before download?

Many thanks

Sung

Edit:  I added the second question.

Depends on your ISP speed and hard drive installed. 30 minutes or so for me, 200+mb download and SSD drive but it will vary drastically depending on network speed and hard drives installed.

Incidentally, I've been running El Cap on my main Mac Pro and Sierra on my Macbook Pro and there've been no problems at all with Sierra.... Adobe CC, Capture One, Photo Mechanic, FCP X, Motion 5 etc etc.

Archived