Pseudonym question

I changed my last name a couple of years ago. My old name (Gina Kelly) is my pseudonym name, but I would like to change my pseudonym for all of my photos to match my new name (Gina Easley). Before I do so though, I need to better understand the implications of changing my pseudonym on all my images (over 5,000). Can someone explain what might possibly happen or anything I should consider before making the change? Thanks so much! 

I believe that if you have a good ranking with your old pseudo you may be compromising your standing as the new pseudo will be given a median rank. Probably quite a bit lower that where you are now.

All the above depends on how your sales have been in the past.

Allan

Also, if I were to just use the new pseudonym on new images, starting now, would that change my ranking? Or are the rankings different for each pseudonym? Thanks again for any help, this is a topic that has always been confusing to me.

Search for one of your images on Alamy using keywords known to you for that image. If the image appears on the first three pages of results you have a very good rank. Further down and it is not so good.

Some people play the BHZ game  but it only gives an idea where you are in the ranking as not everyone plays the game. To play just add BHZ to the keywording of one of your images then put BHZ into the Alamy search box and look to see which page your image appears on in the results.

Allan

Also, if I were to just use the new pseudonym on new images, starting now, would that change my ranking? Or are the rankings different for each pseudonym? Thanks again for any help, this is a topic that has always been confusing to me.

The old pseudo and images would retain their ranking, the new pseudo would be given a median rank then be adjusted depending on sales etc.

Allan

You've been very helpful. I searched for some of my most common images and found that some of them are showing up on the 2nd or 3rd page of search results, so I don't think I want to change that. I appreciate your help - thanks again!

Maybe test the waters first by creating a new pseudo with some images. Put BHZ in the same place in your keywords in one image for each pseudo and see where they land if you search for bhz the next day. If the newly created pseudo is significantly higher, it's easy. If it's significantly lower than your current pseudo(s) you will have a dilemma.

I once changed my pseudo from wim wiskerke to Wim Wiskerke. This was impossible, so I deleted the old and created a new one. Takes 1 minute right? Yep and in that minute I lost my complete history. So if you want to retain the history of the old one(s), just don't delete it/them.

wim

It could be that Wim likes the BHZ test because an image of his is on Page 1 in the Number 2 position. ;) He has another image under a slightly different pseudo that's also on Page 1. (My BHZ is image number 8.)

But . . . there only 3,152 Alamy contributors that play at BHZ, so, although it's better to be up higher, it's not much of a test. It's better to do what Philippe suggests and I'll rephrase: when you have a minute, do some basis searches on Alamy on subjects that you know you have and see where your images appear.

A search for "spaghetti" produces 44,395 images, and I have two on Page One. I will never change my pseudo.

Both Philippe and Wim are savvy dudes who know many important things about stock. And I agree with everything Allan says too. 

Good luck, Edo

It could be that Wim likes the BHZ test because an image of his is on Page 1 in the Number 2 position. ;) He has another image under a slightly different pseudo that's also on Page 1. (My BHZ is image number 8.)

But . . . there only 3,152 Alamy contributors that play at BHZ, so, although it's better to be up higher, it's not much of a test. It's better to do what Philippe suggests and I'll rephrase: when you have a minute, do some basis searches on Alamy on subjects that you know you have and see where your images appear.

A search for "spaghetti" produces 44,395 images, and I have two on Page One. I will never change my pseudo.

Both Philippe and Wim are savvy dudes who know many important things about stock. And I agree with everything Allan says too. 

Good luck, Edo

You're right re: rank, Edo. This however is testing where the new pseudo lands. And yes, this can be done with any other search term also. Until you have or want to do it again next month or next year. Or check if your new keywording strategy works, like many/few keywords. Think of BHZ as your control group.

Philippe and I ranking high on that page, no let me speak for myself alone: Me ranking high on that page is just that: me ranking high on that page. Philippe and you are great photographers who deserve their place. If it weren't for all the others you would rank 1st and 2nd!

;-)

wim

And if we would all live in Aberystwyth, that would level the playing field! However Redsnapper would still outsell us all.

Not to mention that guy from Miami. ;-)

Interesting conversation. It's too bad that we can't modify pseudonyms without affecting rank, etc. I created a secondary pseudo a couple of years ago and dislike the name I chose. Now I'm stuck with it. My fault of course. I should have thought more about name choice before I took the plunge. Nonetheless, I don't quite understand why existing pseudos can't be modified.

Gina ask member services if they can change the name on your main pseudonym to the one you want -- I am sure that they will be able to do that. They are very helpful.  Doing that will not affect your ranking where as creating a new pseudonym and moving all your images to would mean that the images will have a median rank.  

Good luck, Edo

You're right re: rank, Edo. This however is testing where the new pseudo lands. And yes, this can be done with any other search term also. Until you have or want to do it again next month or next year. Or check if your new keywording strategy works, like many/few keywords. Think of BHZ as your control group.

Philippe and I ranking high on that page, no let me speak for myself alone: Me ranking high on that page is just that: me ranking high on that page. Philippe and you are great photographers who deserve their place. If it weren't for all the others you would rank 1st and 2nd!

;-)

wim

And if we would all live in Aberystwyth, that would level the playing field! However Redsnapper would still outsell us all.

Although undeserved, I shall accept your compliment, Wim. Thank you. I am a semi-retired, ex-pro photographer, who does not remember ever having had the energy or ambition of either Redsnapper or that man in Miami (a New Yorker originally, I thought?). Energy is hard to learn . . . although I recall once having more than I have now.

Another important thing the Snapper has taught us--taught me, at least--is that there are stock images aplenty right outside our door. No need to get aboard that flight to Bali. Although it might be fun. You'll notice I've stopped complaining about being stuck in this city called New York. 

To move back to the topic, Gina Kelly seems like a good name. Maybe if you're done with it, Gina, I could use it as a pseudo?

Edo

Good luck, Edo

;-)

wim

Although undeserved, I shall accept your compliment, Wim. Thank you. I am a semi-retired, ex-pro photographer, who does not remember ever having had the energy or ambition of either Redsnapper or that man in Miami (a New Yorker originally, I thought?). Energy is hard to learn . . . although I recall once having more than I have now.

Another important thing the Snapper has taught us--taught me, at least--is that there are stock images aplenty right outside our door. No need to get aboard that flight to Bali. Although it might be fun. You'll notice I've stopped complaining about being stuck in this city called New York. 

To move back to the topic, Gina Kelly seems like a good name. Maybe if you're done with it, Gina, I could use it as a pseudo?

Edo

Edo, you make it sound like one needs a reason to get on board that flight to Bali . . . trust me, when you live, as i do, within a three hour flight of that magical isle, the only reason you need is the fact there's a flight to jump on  :) 

dd

Gina ask member services if they can change the name on your main pseudonym to the one you want -- I am sure that they will be able to do that. They are very helpful.  Doing that will not affect your ranking where as creating a new pseudonym and moving all your images to would mean that the images will have a median rank.  

Has anyone out there in forum land done this successfully -- i.e. had MS modify an existing pseudonym?

Archived