Alamy Watermark problem - what would you do?

What would you do?

The Alamy watermark is obscuring the main subject of this image:

sign-belgium-crowned-inscription-la-belg

Should I just trash it?

(Because leaving it would hurt my CTR: people will view it but never consider buying)

Would a client just see through it?

Have you seen examples like this? Do you have them in your own collection?

(I have looked through mine and while sometimes the watermark gets in the way a little, never as bad as with this one.)

Should I have known better and not have shot it in the first place?

(Remember before we had a watermark just south of center. But this is a very recent shot.)

Should I leave it in and hope for a different watermark at some point in the future?

wim

thumbnail:

normal zoom page - without - with:

FB0CB2.jpg            sign-belgium-crowned-inscription-la-belg

big zoom:

I suppose if you cropped  a bit off the top of the shot, the watermark would drop down a little to leave LA BELGIQUE clear as you wish. Might offend your editors choice and, of course, you would have to resubmit and mark the original down for deletion. You could leave the two versions available, but there's no way I know to make the two show up side by side, or even near on the thumbnail offerings.

Paul  and I were thinking along the same lines but he's obviously quicker

Don't delete. Regular customers get to see unwatermarked images when they're logged in, and anyone searching for that particular building will probably already know what it says on the front anyway. If the caption explains that it says "La Belgique," people who mouse over the image will see the explanation.

Hi Wim:

If you look at the thumbnail version it is perfectly legible and you barely see the watermark at all.

Alamy might like to consider doing what other stock agencies do which is have a movable watermark

which you can strategically place according to the detail in the photo when you make the initial

adjustments.

In any case, I would leave it.

Kathy

Don't delete. Regular customers get to see unwatermarked images when they're logged in, and anyone searching for that particular building will probably already know what it says on the front anyway. If the caption explains that it says "La Belgique," people who mouse over the image will see the explanation.

Wow! Are you sure? That would be very good news. (Maybe not news per se if that has been the case all along.)

wim

Hi Wim:

If you look at the thumbnail version it is perfectly legible and you barely see the watermark at all.

Alamy might like to consider doing what other stock agencies do which is have a movable watermark

which you can strategically place according to the detail in the photo when you make the initial

adjustments.

In any case, I would leave it.

Kathy

Yes I know of that solution. And sometimes use it ;-)

And yes, it would be great to have that here.

I can also see the problem if that has to be implemented on a huge scale.

For the moment I'm trying to replicate the exact watermark effect in Photoshop for myself. Just to use it like a last check. Hmmm maybe it should be my first check.

wim

Archived