Partial failures

I just had a submission "partially failed" by QC due to an image-processing error (one image only). It was a relief since I thought that I might be headed for a month's vacation, which hasn't happened for a long time. Decent of Alamy to let me know so quickly. I've checked all the usual suspects -- RGB, saved as baseline "standard," file size, etc. -- for the image and everything looks OK. I'm not sure what else can cause image processing problems or whether it's wise to re-save and resubmit this one. Any thoughts?

Thanks / Merci Beaucoup

P.S. The only thing unusual that I can think of was that I had to clone a small patch of "dead pixels" from this image before submitting. Could this cause an image-processing problem?

I've pretty sure that partial fails aren't part of the consideration for a compulsory vacation. However seeing the dreaded red text is never a pleasant feeling!

The few partial fails I have had have all been via FTP using Cyberduck.

My action after was to submit a new JPG from the RAW/TIFF final edit and then upload using the web browser option.

I don't think the cloning you did was responsible. It's more likely to be a corrupt file when saving the JPG.

Don't worry John,it's almost certainly a transmission error. You can try resubmitting the failed file or recreate it if you think the save might have failed (unlikely if you can view it on your computer)

I thought it might be a transmission error, but they usually show up as "errors" in the "Awaiting QC" stage. However, this one didn't, which I found odd. A corrupted JPEG does sound like the most likely culprit. Also, I converted from RAW --> TIF --> JPEG, so I suppose the TIF might have something wrong with it. Whatever the case, I'll probably just leave this one on the shelf for now. It's unlikely that it would make  me any richer. I'm just glad that the other images in the sub were allowed through the gate.

Yeah, that's an orange QC fail, not a red one, right, John? It's a tech problem of some kind--nothing for you to worry about. Go back to the problem of how to attach a wild Pacific salmon to an email to me.  :rolleyes:

Right, the orange looks more reassuring, but not as Christmassy as red and green.

Wild Pacific salmon delivery? Easy, my drone is already on its way to NYC...

• 5 months later...

I had one of these today and my heart started bumping, orangy : yes, but the first I read was the "failed" word. 

Actually one image failed because I did not pay attention to the rules. 

The crop I did was less than 6Mpix,

Usually I pay attention during cropping - this time it appears I did not. 

All other pictures passed QC and no sin bin holiday. 

I am now adding and additional check before uploading:

Sort the pictures by number of Mpix and check the smallest one is bigger than 6Mpix. 

Irfanview will also show you the compressed/uncompressed size and you can set it to show fstop, exposure, focal length and a whole host  of other things.  Its free, and if you download the plug in you can view raw files.  I've been using it for years and sing its praises whenever I can. nfortuanelty its not got a Mac version - just PC.

agreed! used this before i even owned a camera, just to open images online in the late 90s when i had my first pc (when i was 10-11) i too sing its praises and install it as a basic for every computer i help build or fix.

Irfanview will also show you the compressed/uncompressed size and you can set it to show fstop, exposure, focal length and a whole host  of other things.  Its free, and if you download the plug in you can view raw files.  I've been using it for years and sing its praises whenever I can. nfortuanelty its not got a Mac version - just PC.

If you are using Lightroom (I know hdh doesn't), then it is worth checking out Smart Collections. This is a very powerful feature, which allows you to set single or multiple search criteria. For the present purpose, you could, for example, create a Smart Collection that finds all images less than or equal to 6MP and combine that with a simple label identifying all images that you are about to submit. This would bring up any images that are too small and you could then recrop them without having to leave Lightroom.

If you are using Lightroom (I know hdh doesn't), then it is worth checking out Smart Collections. This is a very powerful feature, which allows you to set single or multiple search criteria. For the present purpose, you could, for example, create a Smart Collection that finds all images less than or equal to 6MP and combine that with a simple label identifying all images that you are about to submit. This would bring up any images that are too small and you could then recrop them without having to leave Lightroom.

How correct .... :) 

apologies that I am such a bonehead when it comes to open source software :ph34r: .  (or even more bonehead if it is closed source  :)

Archived