Replacing Images

I'm a relatively new contributor and could use some advice on the best way to replace an image that has passed QC, but isn't yet on sale.

When I was in the process of keywording the image, I opened up the jpeg used for submission to Alamy in Photoshop and noticed that there was an abrupt transition of color in an area of overcast sky, apparently the result of the jpeg compression, as it's not there in the original .psd file.

I did a little experimentation and I found that I can modify the .psd file in such a way that the problem is avoided when it's saved as a jpeg, so now I'd like to replace the image. 

Should I delete the image right now, and then re-submit the better jpeg as a new image, or finish the keywording process and delete the current image after it's on sale, and then re-submit?  Or is there an existing procedure for replacing images without going through a new image submission? In any case, should I use the same or a different file name for the replacement image?

Thanks

As Armstrong says, just delete and re-submit. Had it gone on sale, an email to Member Services would be required to ask for it to be replaced, as once on sale, images take several months to be deleted from the system.

You can also make a replacement easily after the image has gone on sale. As long as it is an improvement of an existing image it should be no problem to write to member service and ask them to delete the old one, if you state the id of the old one and the new one, both should be on sale. My replacements, and deletion of the old images, have always been active the next day.

Edited: Oh, sorry. that is probably what MDM also says above.

Edited by Niels Quist

• 1 month later...

MS will replace on-sale images for you. Just send in the numbers and the details stay the same.

As above. I did this the other day and it worked without problem.  :)

• I had an image already on sale.
  • I uploaded a replacement. After it passed QC I did not put it on sale, and did not fill in any metadata (since I wanted the info already registered with the image that was on sale.)
  • Mailed member services with the file numbers and asked them to do the switch.
  • Received a response a day later, all sorted.

It's one reason I have always liked Alamy - great and quick support!

• 6 years later...

I tried this but they messed up.

I had submitted an image, it passed QC and I tagged it ready for sale.  After it went on sale I noticed the colour cast was wrong.  I corrected the colour cast and submitted a new version of the image.  After it passed QC I sent an email to Contributor Relations explaining the problem and that I wanted the old image replaced with the new one.  I included the image ID for each image.  They just deleted the old image - which I could have done myself. 

38 minutes ago, ATJ said:

I tried this but they messed up.

I had submitted an image, it passed QC and I tagged it ready for sale.  After it went on sale I noticed the colour cast was wrong.  I corrected the colour cast and submitted a new version of the image.  After it passed QC I sent an email to Contributor Relations explaining the problem and that I wanted the old image replaced with the new one.  I included the image ID for each image.  They just deleted the old image - which I could have done myself. 

if you had deleted it, it would still have been on sale for 90 days if it was already up for sale, this is what having Alamy remove it avoids. 

22 minutes ago, meanderingemu said:

if you had deleted it, it would still have been on sale for 90 days if it was already up for sale, this is what having Alamy remove it avoids. 

But I didn't want it deleted!

I asked for it to be replaced as this thread is talking about.

1 minute ago, ATJ said:

But I didn't want it deleted!

I asked for it to be replaced as this thread is talking about.

not sure i understand.  The new image is the one for sale, and the old one isn't, so in the database it is replaced from a clients perspective, by opposition to both being available.  Also the process now allows Alamy to redirect a potential client who would be searching for the original image if they contact them.  

On 14/04/2015 at 16:00, Mike R said:

As above. I did this the other day and it worked without problem.  :)

• I had an image already on sale.
  • I uploaded a replacement. After it passed QC I did not put it on sale, and did not fill in any metadata (since I wanted the info already registered with the image that was on sale.)
  • Mailed member services with the file numbers and asked them to do the switch.
  • Received a response a day later, all sorted.

It's one reason I have always liked Alamy - great and quick support!

@meanderingemu

1 hour ago, meanderingemu said:

And, the old image is still showing up in searches so that's not good, either!

AFAIK MS (now Contributor Relations or CR) will not replace an image anymore.

They might delete the old one.

However they didn't do either for me.

So now there's a Russian calendar somewhere with a tall ship firing a cannon. Which in fact is just a black blob of a brush inadvertently hitting the image just at the moment of saving. The risk of working with a pen.

The client may of course have chosen the image just because of that puff of black smoke. Who knows?

It's a while back though and CR may have reversed their ways again.

Remove most of the keywords and the caption of the old image. Do insert the new image # as a keyword and in the caption, with a remark like: do not use this image, use the revised one at (new number here). You can probably think of a more appropriate wording.

In the caption or the description of the new file, write something like: This images replaces (old # here).

And do use the old ref # as a keyword. Many clients simply copy/paste the ref ## for their projects.

Note that Alamy doesn't like deleting all keywords from an image awaiting deletion and leaving the caption blank or filled with XX-s or 00-s.

In fact they have explicitly pointed at a clause in the contract that would prohibit that.

wim

3 hours ago, wiskerke said:

AFAIK MS (now Contributor Relations or CR) will not replace an image anymore.

They might delete the old one.

It would have been nice if they had told me that and told me the repercussions of the deletion.  I mean, if you email them, you get an automated response saying to check the fora, which I did and found this thread.

3 hours ago, wiskerke said:

Remove most of the keywords and the caption of the old image. Do insert the new image # as a keyword and in the caption, with a remark like: do not use this image, use the revised one at (new number here). You can probably think of a more appropriate wording.

In the caption or the description of the new file, write something like: This images replaces (old # here).

And do use the old ref # as a keyword. Many clients simply copy/paste the ref ## for their projects.

The problem is they have deleted the old image so it is too late to do that. 

This morning (my time) the old image was coming up in a search but if I clicked on the image I got an error.

This afternoon the new image is now coming up in a search, which surprises me as I only added the metadata this morning.

36 minutes ago, ATJ said:

It would have been nice if they had told me that and told me the repercussions of the deletion.  I mean, if you email them, you get an automated response saying to check the fora, which I did and found this thread.

The forum thread you viewed was 6 years old, within Alamy much changes in smaller time periods. Look on this experience as a reminder that we should carefully undertake our own QC of each image prior to uploading as Alamy only checks a sample of our uploads. Good to hear things eventually worked out OK for you.

• Love 1
  • Like 1