Capture 1 Pro 8.0 -> Lightroom 5.x

I have been a long time user of C1 Pro (10+ years) but I am tearing my hair out at the moment with 8.1 - I have wasted 3+ hours so far this afternoon trying to get it to run properly.. I have intermittent failure to load (just hangs), or it tells me there are no image in the folder (even though it flashed a few up first, different ones each time). When I am able to exit from that situation it shows a saving dialog box but just hangs again until I break out with task manager it says it is waiting for input from me and then backup/integrity dialog pops up. I suspect it was waiting for a response but the dialog box was hidden and did not show up in the task bar either. I had similar issues from time to time with version 7.x. I am seriously thinking of binning the upgrade that I just bought and going to Lightroom. How are people finding it with Fuji X .raf files - is out of focus foliage still smeared/watercolour effect? Don't really see that problem with C1Pro (when I can use it). I have a LR 4 licence so I will only have to upgrade. Grrrr! BTW I am running fully up to date Windows 7 with 16GB ram, bags of disk space and an 8-core AMD Phenom processor.

I am using LR5 and Fuji X raw files.  I have no probs with QC and haven't been aware of this watercolour effect.  I tried C1 Pro 7 but won't be upgrading as I much prefer LR.

Pearl

I use LR5 and process Fuji X.raf files and Know what you mean about watercolour effect.

Try, as I do, starting with detail slider under sharpening at 100. This brings out detail in foliage but does not seem to have too much effect on rest of image in my experience. Sharpen image then see if you can drop detail slider back to a point where image is acceptable.

Having said that I am in clink, AGAIN, so try but do not trust my judgement.

Allan

I am using LR5 and Fuji X raw files.  I have no probe with QC and haven't been aware of this watercolour effect.  I tried C1 Pro 7 but won't be upgrading as I much prefer LR.

Pearl

Ditto Pearl. I just could not work with C1P7 myself. Prefer LR5 and use Nix plugins when necessary.

Allan

Martin,

I would join and post this on prodig as there are many users of C1 on there who should be able to help.

Have posted it on PhaseOne forum and resurrected a support case from last October and version 7.x (mind you not much help). I will have a look at prodig, do you have a link while I search?

I was a beta tester for C1 Pro 8.  I can tell you it seemed there were more problems with the Mac version but I could be wrong.  I use it on a 5 year old Mac Pro, using an Intel chip, and have had zero trouble with the new update.

But, as much as I like it, I like the interface and workflow of LR5 better and find myself using it more each day.  I particularly like the preset I have developed for import.  It has cut down on processing time immensely.  

As to the watercoloring effect, I have seen great improvement with the current version of LR5.  I would recommend boosting the Masking slider up to around 80+ when using any sharpening, keep the Details slider higher, and use the Sharpening slider very cautiously, (25 or below).  This helps with edge sharpening.

One thing that I have started doing that has helped, is using RAW pre-sharpening only.  I use the Nik sharpening plug-in for this.  I am pretty meticulous, as I'm sure most are, about looking for sharpening artifacts and I have never produced one using that step in my processing.  I never use USM for the finished Jpeg for Alamy.  This seems to help with the now minor issue with the color smearing or watercoloring effect sometimes seen in fine detail. 

I got C1 working again - I suspect it may have been corrupting its own catalogue. I like C1 for RAW conversion but not keen on it as a cataloguing tool and its partner Media Pro did not seem well integrated when I last tried.

I will get a trial version of LR 5 (I have version 4 but it does not support my X-T1) and give it a play.

I have been a long time user of C1 Pro (10+ years) but I am tearing my hair out at the moment with 8.1 - I have wasted 3+ hours so far this afternoon trying to get it to run properly.. I have intermittent failure to load (just hangs), or it tells me there are no image in the folder (even though it flashed a few up first, different ones each time). When I am able to exit from that situation it shows a saving dialog box but just hangs again until I break out with task manager it says it is waiting for input from me and then backup/integrity dialog pops up. I suspect it was waiting for a response but the dialog box was hidden and did not show up in the task bar either. I had similar issues from time to time with version 7.x. I am seriously thinking of binning the upgrade that I just bought and going to Lightroom. How are people finding it with Fuji X .raf files - is out of focus foliage still smeared/watercolour effect? Don't really see that problem with C1Pro (when I can use it). I have a LR 4 licence so I will only have to upgrade. Grrrr! BTW I am running fully up to date Windows 7 with 16GB ram, bags of disk space and an 8-core AMD Phenom processor.

Hi Martin

I also noticed what you described abvove re Fuji raf files.  In my case, sometimes I notice it to a small extent even on some well focused area, too.

I have used a Fuji X100s for just over a month and I haven't yet uploaded any of images from it to Alamy.  Did any of your Fuji files fail QC due to this? 

I have had no QC fails in more than 4 years and have been using Fuji RAF for 18 months. A lot of RAF images have gone through the news channel though. That said I can't say I have really noticed anything I would really call watercolour effect using C1. I have downloaded a trial of LR 5.7.1 just in case my problems with C1 are not resiolved quickly - I will give it a try as I prefer it as a cataloguing tool but not so keen as a raw converter/processor. I am not expecting to be able to excport my C1 catalogue intpo LR though so there is all that work (thousands of hours) stored in 1C1 - it would take years to redo even part of it in LR

My problems with C1Pro continue and I lost work due to crashes on Saturday ...

However I have had a bit of a play with LR 5.7.1 and I have found significant benefits:

• It is many times faster
  • It will cope with all my images in one catalogue - currently around 80,000 but growing rapidly as I shoot and scan my archive.
  • It works fine with my software (core Windows) mirrored library drives (a potential issue according to Phase One for C1)
  • I can browse all the images in any folder, including those in sub-folders. C1Pro only allows browsing at top and image folder level; not using folder structure for say a year or month view that LR allows with my Library/Year/Month/day-event structure
  • Initial tests suggest that the smearing/watercolour effect does not seem to be an issue with my Fuji X-T1 images that would have expected to show it (will need more testing).
  • It does not seem to be anything like as resource hungry as C1(I can hear the CPU fan speed up even when just browsing)
  • There is a lot of LR expertise around, plenty on these forums alone. It is effectively the industry standard.

The only downsides so far seem to be:

• I need to revise the detail of my practice and workflow (a one off investment). A modest learning curve.
  • I lose all the processing I have catalogued in C1Pro (since about version 1, 2003?) - I haven't looked yet but I guess there is no conversion route from C1 to LR (there is the other way). But then if I can't get at it reliably what value is there in it?
  • It means going back to Adobe, but if it works ...

Main questions are:

• How nicely does LR play with PhotoMechanic? As they are the two leaders I expect it works OK (I have used them together a couple of generations ago)
  • Standalone or Creative Cloud - I rarely use PhotoShop but I guess it if it is closely integrated I may use it more? CC is a little more expensive year on year (I guess as I would only be upgrading LR every year/18 months) and it means sharing more data with Adobe - I don't want to be automatically online. I have more than 1.5Tb of images and it is now growing at several hundred Gb per year so I am not thinking I will be able to keep that online. Anyone any thoughts?
  • Can I put it on my desktop and both my laptops (small and large) - I only ever use one at a time.

Has anybody any thoughts, suggestions?

I will start using LR for the next couple of weeks and then it will be decision time.

Hi Martin, I use LR as standalone not cloud simply to work on images off line and, for me, it is cheaper to pay once rather than monthly. Also you are not prey to online hiccups.

Do not use Photomechanic so can't help on that one. I do have NIK software as plug ins in LR in case I might need them. I also use PSE12.

I found it to be much easier to work with than C1P.

Allan

Hi Martin, I use LR as standalone not cloud simply to work on images off line and, for me, it is cheaper to pay once rather than monthly. Also you are not prey to online hiccups.

Do not use Photomechanic so can't help on that one. I do have NIK software as plug ins in LR in case I might need them. I also use PSE12.

Allan

You're not actually dependent on the cloud to use LR or Photoshop CC. Only for upgrades (both) and some Photoshop libraries and things.

Can't comment on the other matters.

Allan

You're not actually dependent on the cloud to use LR or Photoshop CC. Only for upgrades (both) and some Photoshop libraries and things.

My libraries are all held in house on multiple mirrored drives. Do not trust cloud for anything.

Allan

Allan

Thanks guys.

It seems to work fine according to reports that I have seen with PhotoMechanic and also iMatch (diigital asset management) which I have licence for,

I have a highly developed C1Pro workflow so I will have a learning curver but it won't be an issue.

I also don't rely on cloud storage for anything and rarely use it for anything other than short term sharing.

Stand alone version is a better deal, IMHO.  And your license allows for you to put LR on two (2) computers.  I have it on my desktop and my laptop.

Edit:  Like you I don't trust the cloud for anything either.  Not with all the hacking going on.

Stand alone version is a better deal, IMHO.  And your license allows for you to put LR on two (2) computers.  I have it on my desktop and my laptop.

Edit:  Like you I don't trust the cloud for anything either.  Not with all the hacking going on.

And services being discontinued at short notice - even from major suppliers.

Problem is I have a desktop and two laptops. A large one that I use when travelling by car or working from a media centre. A small light one that is my go everywhere and lives in my camera bag most of the time (can cope now I have gone Fuji X). I use it for uploading news but mainly with ooc jpgs; occasionally I have needed to reprocess one because I missed the exposure on an essnetial picture, I have done it by reprocessing with adjusted expsoure in camera (thank you Fuji) but it would be good to be able to do it on the laptop. That said I never installed C1 on my small laptop.

Allan

Very true. I get PS and LR through the subscription. It is on your computer. But periodic updates come through the cloud. We all get updates on the standalones online, don't we? No difference, unless you decide not to pay Adobe anymore. Then instead of an update, Adobe probably sends little green men to smash your computer. :))

Do the sums.... £9 x ?? = full license , then factor in upgrades required to match camera updates.....

CC works when you are offline so its not an issue (you can remain off-line for 30 days)....

I have done the sums, it is essentially two years versus a single LR upgrade (minor updates are free) and I change cameras very rarely now. That said Fuji have a deal on at the moment that reduces the CC subscription by 15% for the first year. I so rarely use PS that I would probably switch to GIMP or Elements rather than pay for a full licence upgrade (but no longer available standalone). Decisions, decisions, ...

Edited to add: I am not sure whether the 30 days offline would work for me. I will be spending up to 3 months travelling in a motorhome once or twice a year. I guess I would be online frequently enough but perhaps not with my large laptop which would be my main editing pc when on the road. My small laptop would go to a cafe or wherever with me for uploads etc but not really usable for editing. What happens if you are offline for more than 30 days - does the local copy stop working?

A question. Can a CC susbscriber use the software on any PC like you can with Office 365? If I visit friends can I use LR temporarily on their PC?

Thanks everyone.

Archived