Capture 1 Pro 8.0 -> Lightroom 5.x

Oh no! Not version 6 already?

Version 6 of LR will probably be subscription only.

Allan

Possibly this summer apparently.

Groan.

Allan

Martin, have you considered using Sessions in C1? All image processing would be held in the session and once complete you can then add a session to a catalogue. This means (from what I understand) that all the changes are kept in session but you have the benefits of the catalogue when it comes to searching / organising. The catalogue then doesn't need to store all the data for the image processing which I think slows the whole thing down.

I personally haven't had a single problem with C1 but I do use Sessions 100% of the time. I find it more stable, faster and easier to move portions around. The amount of landscape work I do I couldn't afford to move to LR, just to much detail lost and the WC affect can be bad at times.

Personally, I think the problem with C1 is when you use Catalogue for everything (and that is LR's strength). On that basis, play with Sessions to see if you can make it work for you.... it is basically mini catalogues that can be grouped together in a catalogue later if need be.

Edit. I'm currently using C1 Pro 8.1. I was involved with both the 8 and 8.1 Betas and using Sessions was very stable even during that time. I just think they haven't really mastered the Catalogue thin yet and leaving the image processing details in Sessions seems to work well. I guess that has been around from the beginning for them, catalogues were only introduced in V7 I think.

I used to use sessions in earlier versions of C1 but I was uncomfortable with the proliferation of folders and files. It is not something I want to go back to as I handle a lot of batches - something most days often several. I am trying to reduce the steps in my workflow not add more. Actually with the work I am doing at the moment I have needed to browse my entire archive (rare event though) - LR was much more usable.

I have something of an issue with Phase One even though I have used C1 since about 2002, I guess. I have stopped using C1 a couple of times. Once when they effectively removed metadata (I skipped v3 or 4) especially not passing it through at processing - my discussions with them showed they didn't have clue about the importance of metadata, they were very much in a studio/social photography mindset (it was originally for the MF backs), they simply could not conceive the importance of metadata to stock/editorial/news. It may be why the catalog is not that great - it is more relevant to us than studio/social photographers. LR was designed initially for news/sports photographers.

They have passed on some thingsI can try (leaning towards an improperly installed .NET framework, so clean install) when I have time but I am using a trial version of Lightroom at the moment but not that keen on the UI. Not ideal but usable and it means I can catch up with what I needed to do to get my new website launched. Then I will reexamine C1 and I will perhaps also have a closer look at sessions, I do use them occasionally for one-off usually when I am playing with some new techniques on test images that I don't want in the catalogue.

I accepted in the end that C1 was not much good for Metadata and just use PM5 now.... they play nicely together if you set C1 to export the meta to an xml file.

I always have used PM for metadata since FotoStation got too expensive but for one or two versions C1 Pro went backwards (on metadata); it stopped reading IPTC/XMP and passing it through on conversion. Made it useless for a stock photographer because I do all my captioning etc before I do the raw conversion anbd want the metadata to stay with it. That is when I switched to version 3 of LR but came back to C1 with v5 (I think).

C1 works reasonably well with PM (now!) if you get it properly set up.

Archived