Persian gulf, Egypt, Suez (and home)

Good morning ALL

I would like to tap into the experiences and advice of any that have work with Alamy on these destinations please.

Joan & I, for our 40th anniversary, in April 2015,  we are flying out to join a ship at Dubai to sail via Straits of Hormuz, Red sea and the Suez Canal then via Istanbul, to home. UK.

For example what lenses to carry....I have Canon L series lenses....will the 28-70 L be sufficient or should I add the 17-40L. Is there any point in taking a 100 macro. I have the 70-300 L series telezoom for the rest..I don't see me managing a tripod, though I normally always shoot with tripod. Would the purchase of the 400 5.6 l be worthwhile and carrying the weight??

We are planning a trip or two from the ship in Egypt...what destinations have you found a waste of effort....what ones would you go back to??

Looking at Alamy pics..etc..the Pyramids have been "done to death" but are they still good to go to? What other Egyptian destinations would say is just as good or better?

Safety security...advice??

The questions could be endless .....but I'm just trying to plan ahead at this early stage.

Or should I just forget about work and relax.

On our previous sea voyages I often come home with 4000 raw files that keeps me busy for months!!

If you have time to share your thoughts....it would be much appreciated

Thank you very much

Sparks!

Hi Sparks 

Lucky you! good trip!

You dont say if you have a FF or APS camera body, but I would take the 17-40, 28-70 and 70-300. - The wider the better for the markets etc. I doubt you will need a 400mm lens - rarely likely to be used for the weight it will be. I would not take  the 100mm macro either. The ideal for travel is take a good range of focal lengths without weighing yourself down. No tripod either.

In Egypt Cairo and the temples along the Nile are well worth seeing as is Luxor and Abu Simbel. Care is needed in Cairo these days I think and if you do go to Cairo, no photography of any kind is allowed in the Cairo Museum.

Congratulations on your 40th btw  :)

Kumar 

Salaam alaykum,

Camera gear, only you know what's good for you. Tripod or flash...you may have to pay an extra charge to take a picture using tripod/flash in some tourist site places.

Not everyone likes being photographed, think some people get fed up with westerners poking camera lenses into their lives. Others tho happy to pose...sometimes for a small price.

Security....travelled there a number of times, last in 2003 (so a while ago now), just be aware if you go off the beaten track...... I've experienced hostility to westerners (being mobbed by people hissing and saying 'Americans go home' is a bit frightening , saved by the police with them whipping the baying mobsters ! ). Always seem to have plenty of military/police around touristy areas tho. Take note of security advice from your travel company/the Foreign Office.

Maybe a bit far for an excursion from your route, but a visit to Alexandria on the Med coast would be interesting (feels more European Med than Middle Eastern)...a large cosmopolitan city that probably doesn't feature in too many people's visit to Egypt. Go to the Spitfire bar if you want a beer, with some history thrown in too.

The Sinai Peninsula has St.Katherine's Monastery, impressive, in a spectacular location. A walk up to the summit of Mount Sinai for sunrise is well worth it.This area is rich in religious significance.

If you chat to the locals, many of the younger generation want to talk about British football !

Remember to barter.

Lots to photograph, lots to experience, you'll want more time, have a good trip !

Phil

Hi Sparks

Congratulations! If you have time in Dubai, the Creek is highly photogenic, with ocean-going dhows loading and unloading. On the Bur Dubai side of the Creek the Dubai Museum is well worth a visit. Take a boat (abra) across the water to Deira and you'll find the gold and spice souks. Souks in the region open in the morning but only really come alive in the evening, so something fast in the way of lenses would be useful.

Egypt. Are you going to Alexandria? If so, the corniche, with the Bibliotheca Alexandrina in the middle, and Fort Qaitbey at one end will provide many photographs.

Have a great trip.

Gareth

I have no experience of these particular locations but my travelling kit for the last 5 years has been 5D2 with 24-105 and 70-300, which has taken 99.9% of the photos I wanted to take. In the last couple of years I've added a 15mm fisheye for the occasional quirky shot, and more importantly a Sony NEX6 which I can slip in my pocket for situations (of which there are many) when full DSLR kit is either inappropriate or too much hassle.

Alan

This is going to sound a bit cheesy and I know it would be a great trip for photography so yes take something, but not your big kit. Take something small and light with a top notch mid-zoom lens (Fuji X-E2 with 18 - 135mm lens is one suggestion.)

In fact forget photography except for memories of the trip. Spend the time with your good lady talking about and enjoying the trip. Pay her even more attention than you do at home, it is her anniversary too. Have some romantic meals, moments together. Relax, work (photography) will still be there when you return.

Have a great time together and congratulations on your 40th anniversary.

Allan

This is going to sound a bit cheesy and I know it would be a great trip for photography so yes take something, but not your big kit. Take something small and light with a top notch mid-zoom lens (Fuji X-E2 with 18 - 135mm lens is one suggestion.)

In fact forget photography except for memories of the trip. Spend the time with your good lady talking about and enjoying the trip. Pay her even more attention than you do at home, it is her anniversary too. Have some romantic meals, moments together. Relax, work (photography) will still be there when you return.

Have a great time together and congratulations on your 40th anniversary.

Allan

Agree on the light kit, disagree about taking photographs.  We are in a business of sorts, and it does get boring taking photographs close to home most of the time.  Trips for me are few and far between, so I want to capture them photographically, for business and for memories.

I would just add that if you find someone to take a picture of you and your lady at photographically beautiful or important places, do that.  Important for your personal history.

Betty

Have other people take your picture (with your camera). Explain your 40th anniversary. Then take their picture. Take it from there.

Check All of Alamy for cruise and all your destinations.

You're a couple. There's a huge demand for images of couples. Check All of Alamy for couple.

Have fun.

wim

Hi Sparks 

, no photography of any kind is allowed in the Cairo Museum.

It is a pity because it was allowed the last time I was there in 2003. Of course not to see the Pharaoh mummies in the refrigerated chamber.

For me Cairo is a MUST and the Piramids if you never have visited them.

For a 40th anniversary, why not to enjoy the Old Catarat hotel in Aswan? and sail in a feluca during the sunset?

Archived