Incorrect thumbnails showing in search results (title changed)

Up until a week ago, I've been using an iPad 4 with iOS 7 to do most of my image checking on Alamy - and I had no problems. However, last week I managed to drop in onto a hard floor - smashing the screen. I took it into an Apple Store to get it replaced (as an aside, excellent service from the store in Oklahoma City!) and came away with an iPad Air and iOS 8.

Since then, whenever I do a search in Safari by contributor name (usually my own), the thumbnails don't match the mouseover zoom or click-through image in more than 50% of cases. I don't get the problem when using Chrome and never experienced it on the iPad 4 with iOS 7.

MS say that nothing is wrong at their end and that it's a browser compatibility issue. Has anybody else experienced anything similar? I did wonder if it had anything to do with the Air being 64 bit rather than 32 bit.

Any comments gratefully received!

Ian D

Could this maybe explain the increase in zooms by ref #?

wim

I can't see many professional buyers using an iPad, Wim - although, I could be wrong!

Thanks for the feedback, Niels. Could well be iOS 8 rather than 64 bit then?

Ian D

I have the same problem on my iPad Air.

Long ago I first noticed it when thumbnails of MY images would incorrectly appear several places on each page.

But images that aren't mine also incorrectly appear as thumbnails.

Long ago I first noticed it when thumbnails of MY images would incorrectly appear several places on each page.

Is that with iOS 8, Ann?

If not, then the mystery deepens!

Ian D

Is that with iOS 8, Ann?

If not, then the mystery deepens!

Ian D

Yes, Ian, my iPad Air's software is up-to-date, so it's iOS 8.something, but the thumbnail situation started long before iOS 8 - Ann

10 days ago I mailed Member Service about a problem that looks much like it.
It's not from an iPad: I'm using Windows/Firefox.

When you look at this:

http://tinyurl.com/pp2opna

(the original links from Alamy can be quite long now)

every other thumb links to a totally different picture.
It still does that btw.

wim

Wow, I have just looked on my PC running firefox and its the same, every other image is not the correct one when I click on it. Maybe that answers why people (including me) are seeing a drop in zooms. I do not have a huge portfolio, but a few months ago my zooms really started to go up, now nada.

. . . so that's how the randomisation feature in search results is achieved . . .

dd

I have noticed the same problem (mouse-over zooms not matching the image) on my ipad mini for a while.  I'm still on iOS 7.

I discovered it when I was looking at my own images (by clicking on my number to the left here), and saw some duplicates.  But when I did the mouse-over (or touch-over for my ipad) the images didn't match.  I went and checked on my computer and it wasn't happening there.

It seems to happen more often with images that are further down on the page, several rows down.

I also noticed a mismatch once when I was looking for photos I had in the live news.  Again, the problem was only on my ipad, not on the computer.

When you look at this:

It still does that btw.

wim

That's rather concerning. I see the same faulty behaviour with your link using Windows 7 with Google Chrome. But when I try other searches they seem OK. I wonder what's special/different about the search specified in your URL? I noticed something was going wrong a few weeks back with Google image searches linking to the wrong image, but your link indicates it now seems to be happening on searches from within Alamy? If so, that's a pretty serious fault.

When you look at this:

It still does that btw.

wim

FYI, Your images are showing correctly on my iMac using Safari and an older OS (10.6.8).

Edit- Oops, no they're not.  The mouseovers are matching the thumbnail, but when I click on the thumbnails, most lead to a different image!

When you look at this:

It still does that btw.

wim

FYI, Your images are showing correctly on my iMac using Safari and an older OS (10.6.8).

Thank you! I hope you are referring to my own images, not the ones in the link. It would be wonderful for that contributor if they would show up correctly as well. Maybe they have been that way since they were first admitted?

wim

When you look at this:

It still does that btw.

wim

Thank you! I hope you are referring to my own images, not the ones in the link. It would be wonderful for that contributor if they would show up correctly as well. Maybe they have been that way since they were first admitted?

wim

Wim I was referring to the images in that cherry blossom link.  But it turns out they're not OK.  The mouseovers match the images, but clicking on the images often leads to different photos!

I did check yours and they seem fine to me, both mouseovers and clicking the links.

Maria

When you look at this:

It still does that btw.

wim

That's rather concerning. I see the same faulty behaviour with your link using Windows 7 with Google Chrome. But when I try other searches they seem OK. I wonder what's special/different about the search specified in your URL? I noticed something was going wrong a few weeks back with Google image searches linking to the wrong image, but your link indicates it now seems to be happening on searches from within Alamy? If so, that's a pretty serious fault.

The search was: washington dc cherry blossoms.

By coincidence I clicked on the image next to one of my own and got an image of a bowl of soup. Alarmed I went back and clicked on the small number underneath his or her image and got the page you are seeing when you click my link..

Another contributor (Funkyworm) happened to visit me and after some wtf's I mailed Member Service.

If this behaviour is the same as the one seen on Safari on the iPads I don't know.

But if the only ones checking that behavior are iPad users with a specific flavor of OS and a specific version of their browser, you may be very quickly all barking up the wrong tree. Which may not be helpful for the Tech dept.

wim

When you look at this:

It still does that btw.

wim

The search was: washington dc cherry blossoms.

By coincidence I clicked on the image next to one of my own and got an image of a bowl of soup. Alarmed I went back and clicked on the small number underneath his or her image and got the page you are seeing when you click my link..

Another contributor (Funkyworm) happened to visit me and after some wtf's I mailed Member Service.

If this behaviour is the same as the one seen on Safari on the iPads I don't know.

But if the only ones checking that behavior are iPad users with a specific flavor of OS and a specific version of their browser, you may be very quickly all barking up the wrong tree. Which may not be helpful for the Tech dept.

wim

I can reproduce it on Windows 7 and Firefox for the same Washington dc cherry blossoms link you embedded.  I'm not seeing it with my own and other images.  That suggests a limited (hopefully) database corruption problem, possibly in the index files.

I can reproduce it on Windows 7 and Firefox for the same Washington dc cherry blossoms link you embedded.  I'm not seeing it with my own and other images.  That suggests a limited (hopefully) database corruption problem, possibly in the index files.

What are the odds of finding a one-off like that?

I am off to get a lottery ticket!

wim

wim

It can't be that common otherwise buyers would be complaining.

wim

It can't be that common otherwise buyers would be complaining.

Buyers don't complain: they leave.

There are far too many alternatives. And it's not like you have to get there by foot either.

wim

edit: typo

I would say there are two different problems here and the one Wim highlighted isn't the same as the one I originally mentioned.

On the iPad (and possibly elsewhere), there's clearly an issue with dynamic indexing - changing from search to search and differing by browser. The example Wim gave is down to the fact that Alamy have somehow managed to duplicate their reference numbers! For instance, do a search for "CMMJDD" and you'll see 2 shots - of totally different subjects by different contributors. Looking at a couple of samples, it would appear that the duplicates are one RF image and one RM.

Whatever it is, there's clearly something wrong and Alamy do appear to be burying their heads in the sand about it.

Ian D

I would say there are two different problems here and the one Wim highlighted isn't the same as the one I originally mentioned.

On the iPad (and possibly elsewhere), there's clearly an issue with dynamic indexing - changing from search to search and differing by browser. The example Wim gave is down to the fact that Alamy have somehow managed to duplicate their reference numbers! For instance, do a search for "CMMJDD" and you'll see 2 shots - of totally different subjects by different contributors. Looking at a couple of samples, it would appear that the duplicates are one RF image and one RM.

Whatever it is, there's clearly something wrong and Alamy do appear to be burying their heads in the sand about it.

Ian D

Ian,

You're probably right, but what if there is an underlying problem?

Not sure about the sand. More likely a tech department buried in problems and unwanted side effects.

wim

Archived