Nikon D750

I am a Canon man myself,  however i have been looking at the later Nikon models especially the D810,  it would seem that Nikon sensors are leaving Canon way behind.

Looking forward to what Nikon users are saying about D750.

Hoping it is not all brilliant news as i might be tempted to convert,  and that will cost me a small fortune.

This might help;  http://www.dpreview.com/previews/nikon-d750

Paul.

I just bought one and its sensational. It's everything I have ever wanted in a camera. The high ISO is excellent, AF fast and 24MP is more than enough. Mind you, I have stepped up from the D300 which is APS format from 2008, so I am jumping several generations of development. All I have to do now is wait until DxO support it and I'll be well away.

Cheers

Col

What do you think?

Go to the D810. But make sure you understand the lenses you're going to need for a camera with that kind of resolution.

I've been out today with the D300 and a 24-70 mm 2.8 G. I could have used the D800 but went for the D300. They are just different cameras, but the D300 is still good and I like using it with the crop frame sometimes. 12 MB or 36 MB. Who worries.

If I were to get a new Nikon it would probably be APS or DX format as most of my lenses are for DX.  That being said I guess the D750 will work in crop mode and still give acceptable file size for Alamy. I thought there might be a D300 replacement that would be DX format but I guess you would have to go to the D7100.  

Marvin 

Marvin I would keep the D300 and get an D810 with just one FX lens - the 24-70mm 2.8G if it was me. It's not me, but I took a look at some of your photos and maybe I'm wrong but I would have thought that for instance, fast cars would benefit from a 36MP 810. 24-70 would work well on both a D810 and a D300. On the D300 it's obviously 36-105. It's a classic workhorse of a lens imo.

Well I don't have the D300, but use the D90 mostly with a D200 and D3200 as my other cameras.  I could possibly go for FX but the DX format has served me well.  I think that for most of my shooting if I had FX then the 24-70 mentioned earlier would do for most of it.  What is the file size for FX 24mp when used with DX lenses.  Just wondered if the D7100 is due to get an upgrade as many of the others in that line have had.  It is possible that Nikon wants Dxxx to be FX and Dxxxx to be DX in their number scheme.  I think a pro level DX camera would be good as it would serve many photographers just fine.  Maybe a D9000?

Marvin

Being a D700 user the D750 looks like a natural progression. However, I love using Capture NX which has no support for the D750.

So I will be more inclined to buy a second used D700 and maintain my workflow for a few more years. Nikon has made a big mistake dropping Capture and replacing it with

an inferior piece of software NXD. Having tried it out, I have worked out that the D stands for duff.

Regards

Craig

Marvin the D750 is an FX camera. Why mess around with DX? If you want DX, shoot with a DX camera.  The monetary difference, however, is quite big between the 750 and the 810 I grant you. But it's almost certainly going to be a one off purchase I presume. Go for the 810 with a 24-70 2.8. Re-mortgage the house if you have to. File size on the D800 is big relatively speaking, but when using Lightroom it's not much of an issue.

Thanks for all the input.  I was only thinking of being able to use all the DX lenses that I have. I am sure that if I went FX that I would migrate towards the FX lenses.  I think that if I were looking for a replacement today I would probably go with the D7100 or if there is soon to be a D7200.  Like many others I had hoped for a D300 direct replacement as some have said the D7100 does not seem to be that.

Marvin

Most of the FX cameras have a DX mode so your lenses will still work.

The D750 had a problem with wi-fi that I think has been fixed but worth checking. The default settings allowed anyone with the Nikon app to access your camera and download the images if you weren't connected yourself.

I have been using a D90 and invested in a Nikon f/2.8 70-200 VR11 lens earlier this year in preparation for upgrading to full frame. I had also made it an ambition to get the f/2.8 14-24 wide angle and the f/2.8 24-70. When the time came to decide on the camera Nikon had recently released the D610 and the D810 and announced the D750. I had considered the D810 but after careful consideration it was a 'no brainer'. I went for the D610 and the price difference between that and the D810 was enough to fund the purchase of the wide angle lens. I can still use the DX lenses I have, the camera automatically adapts to crop mode when a DX lens is fitted. Even better, I can still use the FX lenses with my D90 and get the advantage of the 1.5x crop factor and quality glass.

The D750 will no doubt prove to be a great camera and some will find it fills a gap, but I don't need the wi-fi connectivity. Flip screen - OK but not essential, Exspeed 4 - nice, but again not essential for me, more focus points - I have enough trouble juggling the ones I've got.

• 4 weeks later...

Most of the FX cameras have a DX mode so your lenses will still work.

The D750 had a problem with wi-fi that I think has been fixed but worth checking. The default settings allowed anyone with the Nikon app to access your camera and download the images if you weren't connected yourself.

The Wi-Fi issue with the D750 was that the default setting for Wi-Fi once enabled was for no encryption. Once WPA2 is configured, there is no issue - much like any Wi-Fi network.

http://nikonrumors.com/2014/09/25/nikon-d750-uses-an-unsecured-wi-fi-network-anyone-can-download-your-pictures.aspx/

Archived