Phone-camera without the phone bit?

Is it possible to buy a phone-camera without the annoying little phone bit?

dd

Is it possible to buy a phone-camera without the annoying little phone bit?

dd

Yep, they exist. Those are called ......... cameras  B)

Cheers,

Philippe

PS: you could buy a small sized tablet.

:) . . . no, I mean one that qualifies for Stockimo, but doesn't have any function other than the camera bit.

dd

You should buy a refurbished IPod Touch directly from Apple. You can use it over wifi and have no monthly fees.

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/ipod

That's probably more in the same size as a phone, yes?

dd

Years ago when iPhone 3s contract was up I didn't renew so the phone had no dialtone but as long as I had wifi I could still do everything from using the camera to playing music and using my APPS.

They also have APPS that allow you to receive faxes,texts and make phone calls as long as you have a wifi connection.

Had I not needed the phone part I would have been content with this setup.

L

Listen people, you must have both the working phone and the camera, otherwise you will miss the experience of having the phone ring while you're trying to take a picture. 

LOL!!!!!   If the phone is on vibrate is it considered an image de-stabilization feature?

I read good things about the 8 MP camera in the iphone 4s when it came out. Never needed the expensive phone service, so never tried one until Stockimo came along. I bought a used one from a reputable Ebay seller and use it without any phone service (just turned it on and used it). The image quality is more than needed for Stockimo. They are looking for interesting photos taken on phones, so technical excellence is not a factor like it is in the regular collection. I sometimes process and upload on the iphone only, but prefer to use an iPad for that as the photo is so much easier to see on the larger screen. And no, no sales there yet.

You should buy a refurbished IPod Touch directly from Apple. You can use it over wifi and have no monthly fees.

dd

From 3 SEP 2010 "At Apple's press event on Wednesday, Chief Executive Steve Jobs hinted that iPod Touch could get the job done, saying that "a lot of people call it an iPhone without the phone." He added, half-jokingly, "It's also an iPhone without a contract."

dd

From 3 SEP 2010 "At Apple's press event on Wednesday, Chief Executive Steve Jobs hinted that iPod Touch could get the job done, saying that "a lot of people call it an iPhone without the phone." He added, half-jokingly, "It's also an iPhone without a contract."

Thanks Lisa, that seems the closest. Do you know if pics from iPod Touch are acceptable for Stockimo--I've looked but can't find the answer?

dd

Not sure that iPod qualifies as a mobile phone. It can run the app if it has IOS 6 or later, but isn't normally thought of as a phone. I got this email a while ago which is aimed at camera photos;

"Most of you know this already but Stockimo is an app for mobile photography. Sorry but cameras are cheating when it comes to Stockimo.
Throughout August we're holding a Stockimo amnesty. It's a chance for all those people who've uploaded camera photos to Stockimo to clear their conscience by deleting your camera photos from your Stockimo app - you know who you are ;-)
So, what are you waiting for? Delete your camera photos now and find a renewed sense of inner-calm and a Stockimo app full of (just) mobile phone photos!
In September we'll be sweeping the Stockimo collection to delete all the camera photos that are left - don't say we didn't warn you!"

Stockimo.com says "We want cool images taken on your phone"

I'd want to be sure that images won't get purged, but there is a question about iPads and iPods that isn't really answered as far as I know.

Not sure that iPod qualifies as a mobile phone. It can run the app if it has IOS 6 or later, but isn't normally thought of as a phone. I got this email a while ago which is aimed at camera photos;

"Most of you know this already but Stockimo is an app for mobile photography. Sorry but cameras are cheating when it comes to Stockimo.

Throughout August we're holding a Stockimo amnesty. It's a chance for all those people who've uploaded camera photos to Stockimo to clear their conscience by deleting your camera photos from your Stockimo app - you know who you are ;-)

So, what are you waiting for? Delete your camera photos now and find a renewed sense of inner-calm and a Stockimo app full of (just) mobile phone photos!

In September we'll be sweeping the Stockimo collection to delete all the camera photos that are left - don't say we didn't warn you!"

Stockimo.com says "We want cool images taken on your phone"

I'd want to be sure that images won't get purged, but there is a question about iPads and iPods that isn't really answered as far as I know.

thanks Kevin, it's what I thought in the absence of specific statements re: iPod and iPads, or at least, in the absence of me finding any statements. I'll check with Alamy directly.

dd

I contacted Support at Stockimo for you, specifically asking if the Apple Touch qualifies, and this was their response...

Hi Lisa

Stockimo was made for creative people who take photos using their mobile phones.

The app is only available in the Apple App Store at the moment and it's only optimised for iPhones. We'll be looking to create Stockimo versions for other platforms at a later date but android is top of that list.

Thanks
The Stockimo Team

I contacted Support at Stockimo for you, specifically asking if the Apple Touch qualifies, and this was their response...

Hi Lisa

Stockimo was made for creative people who take photos using their mobile phones.

The app is only available in the Apple App Store at the moment and it's only optimised for iPhones. We'll be looking to create Stockimo versions for other platforms at a later date but android is top of that list.

Thanks

The Stockimo Team

Thank you Lisa.

I'm still a tad confused that some are reportedly using iPad to upload, not "only" (as above) iPhones. Anyhow, the proof is in the pudding so to speak, so my progeny are going to see how they go with their iPods later today (it was after all with them in mind that I made the initial enquiry).

dd

dd,

The app definitely works well on my iPad2 and that makes it easier to process the images (enhancing, filters, borders, etc). I'm all but sure it would work well on iPods. The question which isn't yet answered directly is whether or not photos taken on iPads or iPods are acceptable. Images taken on phones other than iPhones are welcome, but need to be uploaded from an Apple IOS device at this time. The photos I take on my iPhone show up on my iPad automatically, so no extra work there, and I upload from either device. The response from Alamy above just says that they are working to have an app that would enable uploading directly from Android phones, without having to move them to an Apple device.

Archived