We Are the Ninety Six Percent

Brian Yarvin

As a long time contributor to Alamy, I just want to take a moment to praise the current QC system. Indeed, I'm astounded at the way it gets images to market quickly. Let the record show that at least one contributor thinks that this aspect of Alamy is working well.  I struggle to keep my image quality high enough to pass regularly and I thank the people at Alamy for seeing to it that I keep improving. I'm actually grateful.

As a long time contributor to Alamy, I just want to take a moment to praise the current QC system. Indeed, I'm astounded at the way it gets images to market quickly. Let the record show that at least one contributor thinks that this aspect of Alamy is working well.  I struggle to keep my image quality high enough to pass regularly and I thank the people at Alamy for seeing to it that I keep improving. I'm actually grateful.

+1

I fortunately rarely have failures but when I have I can see the reasons why. Good Job!

Kumar

+1.

I had my first fail for months last Thursday after uploading on Wednesday.

I Fixed the offending spot of dust, re submitted the batch straight away and passed QC Saturday morning.

Regards

Craig

I agree and I feel that Alamy QC requirements are the absolute minimum I should expect of myself if I wish to be considered professional; and if I am licencing my work I should. As a result I take a very hard-nosed view of my technical quality before I even consider the image itself. I don't let my appreciation of an image overrule the decision about the technical quality.

As a result I don't faff around with downsizing, sharpening and other devices to "rescue" an image - if it is not technically good enough it does not get considered for submission. I waste less time that way.

Now how do I do the same for saleability or the artistic merits?

Martin, my experience is pretty similar. I find that the Alamy standard is very low compared to either Getty or the publishers I deal with directly. And your points about saleability and creativity are well-taken too - they are both far bigger issues than QC for me too.

What is your opinion for the new offering of full file size downloads for $15.00...what would be the reason for paying more for a rights managed license?  Unless there is going to be a large visible distribution, how does Alamy know that download rights are being followed?

Wait (haha) until you have to wait a month. Five years of good QC won't help you then. It didn't help me.

It does concern me that Alamy QC may raise the bar faster than I do :( but so far, so good. I will worry about it if and when it happens (probably when, I am human after all).

Wait (haha) until you have to wait a month. Five years of good QC won't help you then. It didn't help me.

It wasn't very long ago that you were saying that your record was good enough that the occasional failure didn't put you in the sinbin. My only failure in the last five and a half years went through QC in normal time.

Alan

Mark:

A month isn't all that long in this industry. I often wait many months for submissions to be edited elsewhere and many more months for book proposals to be evaluated. The trick is to always have something in the pipeline somewhere. It evens out in the long run.

Brian

A month might not be but three on the trot is, I don't have any other outlets.

Mark:

I think this is turning out to be a completely different issue. Being reliant on one agency - or even one market - is pretty frightening to me. Perhaps a separate thread on diversification is in order. To get back on topic though - you'll have a rough time finding another agency or editorial content buyer that moves as fast as Alamy.

Sorry but it's not OT to note that the downside of the QC policy is arbitrary lock-outs for long periods. The QC isn't arbitrary, but what 'qualifies' you for the sinbin is. Or at least it looks like it from here when MS won't discuss it.

I've been in the business for some time and I am where I am, for whatever reasons.

John, the Hamptons are at the eastern end of Long Island, New York. New Jersey is at least 100 miles away and safe from all the excesses. Here, we have a quiet and serious environment that is conducive to the pursuit of excellence in art, craft and science. 

• 3 weeks later...

Archived