X-T1 - I can feel it coming

It's getting closer...

I think what I need to persuade me to ditch my 5D2 are the following:

1. Better low-light performance. Ideally I would like to be able to shoot at 1600 ISO with the same noise levels as I get at 400 with the 5D2.

2. A good replacement for the 24-105 which takes about 95% of my shots.

3. A replacement for my lovely little Sigma fisheye.

I think as far as (2) is concerned the 18-135 would just about do the job. The extra couple of mm at the wider end would be useful but I doubt if it would be a serious drawback, and on the plus side, the longer range would mean I would no longer need a telephoto zoom as well.

So, my questions for all you happy X-T1 users are: how does it perform at 1600 ISO? And has anyone used the Samyang/Rokinon fisheye and is it good enough for Alamy?

Alan

I have always tried to keep to the lower ISO ratings but would have no hesitation going to 1600, and possibly higher if it was needed, with X-T1.

When I had my 5D2 I would not go above 800.

Sorry I do not have the Samyang fisheye but do use the Fuji 10-24mm. Very good lens IMO.

I believe there is a Samyang or two for the XF mount.

Allan

It's getting closer...

I think what I need to persuade me to ditch my 5D2 are the following:

1. Better low-light performance. Ideally I would like to be able to shoot at 1600 ISO with the same noise levels as I get at 400 with the 5D2.

2. A good replacement for the 24-105 which takes about 95% of my shots.

3. A replacement for my lovely little Sigma fisheye.

I think as far as (2) is concerned the 18-135 would just about do the job. The extra couple of mm at the wider end would be useful but I doubt if it would be a serious drawback, and on the plus side, the longer range would mean I would no longer need a telephoto zoom as well.

So, my questions for all you happy X-T1 users are: how does it perform at 1600 ISO? And has anyone used the Samyang/Rokinon fisheye and is it good enough for Alamy?

Alan

In all honesty, using 1600 doesn't even raise an eyebrow anymore. I have work here an elsewhere up to 3200 with the Fuji X-Pro and T1. These ones were taken at around 2000-2500 iso, handheld. I was just scouting out final locations ready for the sunset but the band of cloud obscured the it just at the last minute so I was rather thankful for these ones.

I used to have the 5dmkii and I feel more comfortable pushing the ISO higher with the fuji.

Allan, yeah there is. It's full manual of course. Here

I think you said a couple of days ago that you've just got the 18-135, didn't you Allan? How does it feel? Dies the camera feel well balanced with it on?

Alan

I was hoping to pick the 18-135 up at my local dealer but it was not in. Placed order and still waiting for it.

Have a word with Betty, she has got hers now.      Upgrade lenses for NEX 6 (or A6000), or switch to Fuji X-T1    

Allan

Not sure I would want to pay £290 approx for what is after all a 12mm lens and with IMO limited use.

Allan

I think you said a couple of days ago that you've just got the 18-135, didn't you Allan? How does it feel? Dies the camera feel well balanced with it on?

I was hoping to pick the 18-135 up at my local dealer but it was not in. Placed order and still waiting for it.

Have a word with Betty, she has got hers now.      Upgrade lenses for NEX 6 (or A6000), or switch to Fuji X-T1    

Betty... any comments?

Not sure I would want to pay £290 approx for what is after all a 12mm lens and with IMO limited use.

My Sigma FF 15mm cost significantly more than that. A fisheye is my toy - it's the little bit of kit that I don't desperately need but which allows me to keep enjoying photography.

Alan

Checking in.  So far, I love the 18-135.  At the long end, it focuses amazingly close, almost like a macro.  I took some shots with it yesterday morning early in deep shade, and was able to fill the frame with a daisy and a zinnia.  I put it on auto everything and the ISO was 3200.  I posted these on the Fuji forum as is, no NR.  There is some noise in the background, but had I put the images through LR with some NR, you wouldn't have seen it.  The flowers showed great color and were sharp.  I only opened them in PS, adjusted exposure a bit, added Velvia filter, reduced size and posted.  That was mainly to show people how close you can focus with the lens.

The day before, I went to the lake and took some shots of a sailboat marina, and various other type landscapes.  The lens performed perfectly.  I saw no distortion, anywhere.  One of the shots was fairly wide-angle with a building at the edge, and saw no leaning in.

Last evening, I shot a few pieces of jewelry with it, and it worked great for that.  I can see this lens having a hard time leaving the camera unless I want to do portraits (56mm) or want wider angle (10-24).  The 18-135 will make such a perfect vacation lens!

Oh, yeah, I forgot. Part of the lake shoot...there are bicycle trails everywhere and I got some nice sharp images of guys riding toward me.  The camera and lens handled that well.

Betty

Checking in.  So far, I love the 18-135.  At the long end, it focuses amazingly close, almost like a macro.  I took some shots with it yesterday morning early in deep shade, and was able to fill the frame with a daisy and a zinnia.  I put it on auto everything and the ISO was 3200.  I posted these on the Fuji forum as is, no NR.  There is some noise in the background, but had I put the images through LR with some NR, you wouldn't have seen it.  The flowers showed great color and were sharp.  I only opened them in PS, adjusted exposure a bit, added Velvia filter, reduced size and posted.  That was mainly to show people how close you can focus with the lens.

The day before, I went to the lake and took some shots of a sailboat marina, and various other type landscapes.  The lens performed perfectly.  I saw no distortion, anywhere.  One of the shots was fairly wide-angle with a building at the edge, and saw no leaning in.

Last evening, I shot a few pieces of jewelry with it, and it worked great for that.  I can see this lens having a hard time leaving the camera unless I want to do portraits (56mm) or want wider angle (10-24).  The 18-135 will make such a perfect vacation lens!

Oh, yeah, I forgot. Part of the lake shoot...there are bicycle trails everywhere and I got some nice sharp images of guys riding toward me.  The camera and lens handled that well.

Betty

ahhh dam, I wish mine would hurry up!!! I don't think any have landed in the UK yet!

ahhh dam, I wish mine would hurry up!!! I don't think any have landed in the UK yet!

Patience young man! The UK has had some, I was talking to Calumet and they had some stock last week, all spoken for by pre-orders. Just bought a new laptop so mine will have to wait till September :(

Sadly, as is usually the case, I appear to have just missed out on the £250 offer. Although it runs until the end of August, I've been unable to find a single retailer advertising it :( They all have just £100 cashback on any lens now.

Alan

Sadly, as is usually the case, I appear to have just missed out on the £250 offer. Although it runs until the end of August, I've been unable to find a single retailer advertising it :( They all have just £100 cashback on any lens now.

Alan

Alan you have had to buy the X-T1 body first then register it with Fuji. They then send an email with a voucher to take in to your dealer to get the £250 off there and then.

Don't know if you have missed the boat yet but suggest you contact Fuji to find out the current situation. The £250 offer is/was advertised on the X-T1 box.

Allan

PS: I have recently received an email offering £200 off if I buy two lenses from a certain range. Does not include the 18-135 though. Not sure if I need any of the lenses they are offering either.

The best "smaller" camera debate seems to have narrowed down to Fuji and Sony. Every manufacturer has smaller models now, but these others aren't making much noise. I went with Sony NEX and then the RX10, because, I think, Sony was a step ahead of Fuji in introducing their NEX line. Am I wrong about that? Fuji lenses seem to be better and their prices are lower . . . but I'm committed to Sony at this point . . . but I don't use their pretty crappy kit zooms. I use their best primes

I'm encouraged to see that most people have stopped talking about putting cameras in their pockets, the RX100s and iPhones for Stockimo being the exceptions. 

What I want to do here is compare bulk, weight, heft. That is one of our reasons for going smaller, no? 

The Nikon D800 without a lens is 31.75 oz. My Sony RX10 with the attached 24-200 f/2.8 OSS Zeiss zoom is 28.68 oz. The Fuji X-T1 with the XF 18-55 f/2.8-4 is 26.04 oz.

The Sony NEX line is the smallest and lightest . . . unless you opt for one of those larger, heavier zooms, and that would be defeating the original goal, no? Why they establish a brand name (NEX) and then change it (A) is just another oddness about the odd people at Sony. 

My rationale is somewhat different from yours, Ed. I already have a NEX6 but I bought it (and use it) as a pocket camera and never had any intention of replacing my DSLR with it. But I'm looking at the X-T1 as a direct replacement for my Canon 5D2 and I will continue to use the NEX as a pocket camera to have to hand whenever I can't or don't want to carry a full kit around.

Alan

Alan

Alan you have had to buy the X-T1 body first then register it with Fuji. They then send an email with a voucher to take in to your dealer to get the £250 off there and then.

Don't know if you have missed the boat yet but suggest you contact Fuji to find out the current situation. The £250 offer is/was advertised on the X-T1 box.

Allan

PS: I have recently received an email offering £200 off if I buy two lenses from a certain range. Does not include the 18-135 though. Not sure if I need any of the lenses they are offering either.

I was told by Calumet that  I had to register the X-T1 by end August to get the the voucher(they didn't necessarily know I already had the voucher) and then redeem it by buying the 18-135 lens by (end?) October.

Patience young man! The UK has had some, I was talking to Calumet and they had some stock last week, all spoken for by pre-orders. Just bought a new laptop so mine will have to wait till September :(

Clifton Cameras are still waiting on their delivery.... hopefully it will be this week as I will have to re-think lens options for an event I'm covering the end of this week beginning of next!

Duncan chase Clifton, Calumet are showing the 18-135mm as in stock this afternoon.

I will do... I hope they aren't stringing me along now they have the18-55 as trade in. I'm beginning to wish I'd just sold the thing on Ebay like I normally do and bought the lens from the first shop to have them in stock. I'd already have it and not have the worry/flap around for finding an alternative for this job. I'll now better next time.... back to my usual Wex UK / Amazon outlets  :D

Duncan chase Clifton, Calumet are showing the 18-135mm as in stock this afternoon.

I will do... I hope they aren't stringing me along now they have the18-55 as trade in. I'm beginning to wish I'd just sold the thing on Ebay like I normally do and bought the lens from the first shop to have them in stock. I'd already have it and not have the worry/flap around for finding an alternative for this job. I'll now better next time.... back to my usual Wex UK / Amazon outlets  :D

I am sure they won't be.

All this talk about the X-T1 has now got me interested, I currently use a nikon D700, D600 and a D300s with some good nikon glass and are very pleased with the results and wont be getting rid of them as I feel they still have a place in my photography world..

But a while ago I did purchase a sony rx100 for use when I didnt want to lug a dslr around, I know a lot of people use the Rx100 and are very pleased with them ( I have got quite a few images from the Rx 100 uploaded without any problems ) but for me, I am just not over happy with the images from the rx100 ( I know that it is not fair to compare the images from the rx to the d700 with the 24-70 2.8  lens ) but I find they are not even close.

So I have been looking for something smaller but it must produce good quality images and have been looking at the nex 6 / 7 and the X-T1 at the moment the X-T1 seems to have the edge to me ( please feel free to let me know if you feel different, and why ) for those of you that have been using the X-T1 and nikon full frame cameras with good glass along side of each other how does the IQ of the X-T1 match up to the nikon in both good and not so good light.

Last question, if I pull the plug and purchase the X-T1 is it worth buying it with the kit lens ( which I have been told is a reasonable lens ) I would be mainly using the camera for walking about and mainly at the wide end.. ( still got my nikon 70- 200...300 f4 and sigma 50-500 for longer reach stuff.

Cheers for any replies, Steve.

All this talk about the X-T1 has now got me interested, I currently use a nikon D700, D600 and a D300s with some good nikon glass and are very pleased with the results and wont be getting rid of them as I feel they still have a place in my photography world..

But a while ago I did purchase a sony rx100 for use when I didnt want to lug a dslr around, I know a lot of people use the Rx100 and are very pleased with them ( I have got quite a few images from the Rx 100 uploaded without any problems ) but for me, I am just not over happy with the images from the rx100 ( I know that it is not fair to compare the images from the rx to the d700 with the 24-70 2.8  lens ) but I find they are not even close.

So I have been looking for something smaller but it must produce good quality images and have been looking at the nex 6 / 7 and the X-T1 at the moment the X-T1 seems to have the edge to me ( please feel free to let me know if you feel different, and why ) for those of you that have been using the X-T1 and nikon full frame cameras with good glass along side of each other how does the IQ of the X-T1 match up to the nikon in both good and not so good light.

Last question, if I pull the plug and purchase the X-T1 is it worth buying it with the kit lens ( which I have been told is a reasonable lens ) I would be mainly using the camera for walking about and mainly at the wide end.. ( still got my nikon 70- 200...300 f4 and sigma 50-500 for longer reach stuff.

Cheers for any replies, Steve.

Can't comment on how Nikon compares to the X-T1 but I can say the quality of the so called kit lens is very good... unlike any other kit lens really. It has a solid feel to it, the IS works really well and is very sharp. I only traded mine in because I want the weather resistant 18-135 so I didn't have to swap between the 18-55 and the 55-200 in the wet when in the mountains!

Wide angle wise the 10-24 is building a very good reputation, almost equal to that of the 14mm prime!

So I have been looking for something smaller but it must produce good quality images and have been looking at the nex 6 / 7 and the X-T1 at the moment the X-T1 seems to have the edge to me

Well, here is a short account of the journey I've been on, if it helps.

I had no intention of ditching my DSLR gear but I wanted something for the pocket that I could carry around everywhere without a weight on my shoulder. There was a lot of talk on this forum about the RX100 so I got a second hand one to see what it was like. It is truly pocketable but the image quality left an awful lot to be desired, and I just couldn't get used to working without a viewfinder after 50+ years of SLRs. But the pocket concept seemed to be very worthwhile so I bought a NEX6, which I'm very happy with. I think it's very much a fair-weather camera (low light or dull conditions don't really suit it) but I can pop it into a (admittedly large) pocket when I go for a walk.

A little while later, after hearing all the eulogies here to the X-T1, I started thinking the unthinkable - would it be possible to replace my 5D2 kit? I'm now very close to making that decision.

As for lenses, I would probably be looking at the 18-135 which has the thumbs up from the few who have used it so far. But depending on your budget you might like to wait for the new 16-55 which sounds as though it will be a cracker. I won't wait. though, because I'm quite sure it will be double my budget.

So my roadmap for the future would include both the NEX6 and the X-T1, each for a different purpose.

Alan

Have been using the X.Pro 1 for a year now and have been so impressed, ordered the X.T1 from Digitalrev in Hong Kong….ordered on the Saturday afternoon and it arrived on the Thursday lunchtime. The Nikon D700 has been out once, for a wedding, in the last year…..and whilst I will hang onto it (mainly for slide/neg copying 1:1), can't see it getting much use. The results from the Fuji's using primes is superb….and I don't even process the RAW files anymore, archive them and use ooc j.pegs !

Archived