X-T1 - I can feel it coming

Like Alan ( Inchiquin ) I also have not actually purchased the fuji  yet ( but it will happen in the next week or two ) but I did go to the shop to try one, I wanted to see how it fitted in my hands and for a small camera it felt nice so, I stuck in a memory card  so as I could look at some images when I got home,  I only had a couple of minutes with the camera and it was set up to shoot as jpeg ( I normally shoot raw ) the guy in the camera shop was busy and couldn't spend more than a couple of minutes with me so I just shot a few images as it was set up ( I must say when I got home I wasn't overly impressed with the out of focus areas on the jpegs, but I am certain that it was due to the way it was set up so that wont put me off ) the camera had  a 18-55 lens on it which felt ok to handle and I was told about a battery grip to give extra battery life.. But I dont think I will bother with that as it kind of defeats the object of getting a small camera to carry about when I am not using my Dslr. It was a bit of a weird experience, as in the morning I had been using my Mamiya RB67 so there was a bit of a weight and size difference ( a bit like holding one of the RB67 120 film backs ;)  ) So  yes I will be joining the fuji XT1 club probably with the 18-55 and then maybe a 14mm prime to follow.

Hope that helps!

Absolutely! I'd give you a greenie but I don't use the reputation system on principle. Since the 6D is supposed to be miles ahead of the 5D2 in terms of low-light performance, I think that pretty much nails it.

I'm still scared, though, about giving up the camera I've loved for 5 years. I can't afford to keep both so the Canon would have to go while it's still got some market value.

Alan

Okay, okay, the Fuji X-T1 has a friendly retro-designed body, better, less-expensive lenses and is a great value . . . but what about the stupid name? Ha ha, you hadn't thought about that, right? If you buy the Sony mirrorless line you can tell people you have a nex or an N-E-X. How cool sounding is that? (Okay, Sony has changed the name, but let's skip over that for a minute.) 

Fuji users have to say, when asked, "I . . . ah . . . use an X-T1." A what? And a lot of you, and I'm not going to embarrass any one spacific person, like Betty, who keeps putting the hypen in the wrong place. (Okay, I can't find any right now, but I'm pretty sure there are some.) 

Did you know that if you order an X1-T from certain Japanese distributors you'll have to take delivery on a $32,500 septic tank? If you order a NEX you get a NEX . . . (or an a-something).

Fuji users have to say, when asked, "I . . . ah . . . use an X-T1."

Nothing could be worse than having to tell people that you use a 5D Mk 2. Saying that you have a Mark 2 of anything sounds horribly pretentious - "I have the superior version, don't you know" - but the fact is that it's a very different camera from the Mk 1.

At least X-T1 sounds like a rocket-propelled plane or something.

Alan

Have been using the X.Pro 1 for a year now and have been so impressed, ordered the X.T1 from Digitalrev in Hong Kong….ordered on the Saturday afternoon and it arrived on the Thursday lunchtime. The Nikon D700 has been out once, for a wedding, in the last year…..and whilst I will hang onto it (mainly for slide/neg copying 1:1), can't see it getting much use. The results from the Fuji's using primes is superb….and I don't even process the RAW files anymore, archive them and use ooc j.pegs !

As is my custom, I'm going off topic again: So, Martyn, you use the D700 to convert film to digital? I do have a dedicated Nikon slide copier here . . . but I also have an older slide copier (Honeywell Repronaire ???). This is the gizmo Pete Turner used and he showed me how he made his Kodachrome to Kodachrome "copies."  

Hi Ed,

Yes, mono and colour negs and slides as well in 35mm and medium format….I am actually in the middle of a batch now !

Took this route as dedicated film scanners are a touch pricey and the Epson V700 isn't really up to scratch with 35mm.

I did look at buying a Bowens Illumitrans but was reading that the dimensions of the D700 would have made it difficult to fit onto it.

The only problems I have had with using the D700 for copying is when a slide is very contrasty….and gets hopelessly contrasty when copied.Also getting the colours correct from a colour negative can take some fiddling !

It is getting closer than I first thought and if I am about to receive post on friday i will have one delivered then.. Woo Hoo..

Quick question, I have never really used much in the way of lens adapters before, But I have a Nikon D 50mm 1.4 lens  with aperture ring that I use on my nikon full frame camera's and thought it might be a nice prime to use on the fuji X-T1, so has anyone used nikon lenses on their X-T1 and if so is it successful and what sort of adapter do you use.

I have found one of these and think it will do the job, but wanted someone with more experience on this to give an opinion if possible.

Many thanks for reading this, Steve. 

It is getting closer than I first thought and if I am about to receive post on friday i will have one delivered then.. Woo Hoo..

Quick question, I have never really used much in the way of lens adapters before, But I have a Nikon D 50mm 1.4 lens  with aperture ring that I use on my nikon full frame camera's and thought it might be a nice prime to use on the fuji X-T1, so has anyone used nikon lenses on their X-T1 and if so is it successful and what sort of adapter do you use.

I have found one of these and think it will do the job, but wanted someone with more experience on this to give an opinion if possible.

Steve, I suggest you go over to the Fuji X forum and join.  There is a wealth of information available, and many people used adapted lenses, even Nikon.  If you post a question asking what you want to know, you will get the answers you need.

That said, I suggest when you log on, look at the top of the page and where it says "Forums", look around and see if there is already a thread that will give you the information you want before posing a question.

Once I knew I wanted an Xt1, I haunted that place.  I read everything I could get my hands on about the camera so that once my order came in (it took 2 months) I would have a bit of a clue how to use it.  I even took notes!

Betty

All this talk about the X-T1 has now got me interested, I currently use a nikon D700, D600 and a D300s with some good nikon glass and are very pleased with the results and wont be getting rid of them as I feel they still have a place in my photography world..

But a while ago I did purchase a sony rx100 for use when I didnt want to lug a dslr around, I know a lot of people use the Rx100 and are very pleased with them ( I have got quite a few images from the Rx 100 uploaded without any problems ) but for me, I am just not over happy with the images from the rx100 ( I know that it is not fair to compare the images from the rx to the d700 with the 24-70 2.8  lens ) but I find they are not even close.

So I have been looking for something smaller but it must produce good quality images and have been looking at the nex 6 / 7 and the X-T1 at the moment the X-T1 seems to have the edge to me ( please feel free to let me know if you feel different, and why ) for those of you that have been using the X-T1 and nikon full frame cameras with good glass along side of each other how does the IQ of the X-T1 match up to the nikon in both good and not so good light.

Last question, if I pull the plug and purchase the X-T1 is it worth buying it with the kit lens ( which I have been told is a reasonable lens ) I would be mainly using the camera for walking about and mainly at the wide end.. ( still got my nikon 70- 200...300 f4 and sigma 50-500 for longer reach stuff.

Cheers for any replies, Steve.

I've had all of the cameras you mention and really wasn't that happy with the RX100 or the follow up one. I think when you look at a lot of images from full frame sensors,images from a 1 inch sensor you do notice where the smaller size lacks.Though this is an excellent camera for certain things and especially where you can't use your DSLR.

I had the FUji XT1 and it really has a lot of plusses. I sold for the fact that I bought all the best lenses and my camera bag ended up being just as heavy as my DSLR. I had problems with mirrorless when I brought it on a couple of red carpet shoots. It just didn't want to lock focus. I had my flash with a bracket and wasn't getting what I wanted. So,that being said I realize that this system can do A LOT,it just couldn't do what I needed it to do for my bread and butter photography and had to go back to my Canon full frame and sell the Fuji. I have right now the Canon EOS M. It's ok...at least w/  the 22mm f2 lens. Good for ebay stuff and and carrying around. Nothing to get excited about.It was crazy cheap though...Under $400 w/kit lens.

The Fuji 18-55mm kit lens is probably the best kit lens I have ever used.I used it with the X Pro 1 and XE1 as well. It's sharp wide open.

L

Boy, there's nothing like baptism under fire, on a red carpet I mean. I'm okay in combat but doing a wedding scares the hell out of me. 

I enjoy sharing that room with you this morning, Linda, even if it was for such a brief time.   ;)

Boy, there's nothing like baptism under fire, on a red carpet I mean. I'm okay in combat but doing a wedding scares the hell out of me. 

I enjoy sharing that room with you this morning, Linda, even if it was for such a brief time.   ;)

Weddings scare me to. I worked with a friend in the past on about a dozen very high weddings...400 guests,6 figure price tag...STRESSFUL and that was back in my film days!

In the sin bin for another week or so,LOL...finding other ways to get into trouble! 

Mirrorless doesn't do well on red carpet events.I tried 3x at 3 different venues and 2 had decent lighting.But when you only have seconds to get the shot,DSLR is still the way to go.I really wish that were not the case because I prefer Fuji or other mirrorless cameras to the heavy DSLR gear.

L

Steve, I suggest you go over to the Fuji X forum and join.  There is a wealth of information available, and many people used adapted lenses, even Nikon.  If you post a question asking what you want to know, you will get the answers you need.

That said, I suggest when you log on, look at the top of the page and where it says "Forums", look around and see if there is already a thread that will give you the information you want before posing a question.

Once I knew I wanted an Xt1, I haunted that place.  I read everything I could get my hands on about the camera so that once my order came in (it took 2 months) I would have a bit of a clue how to use it.  I even took notes!

Betty

Many thanks for the info Betty, I have registered with the fuji forum and have found out most of what I wanted to know by searching.. a very useful forum..

Thanks, Steve.

All this talk about the X-T1 has now got me interested, I currently use a nikon D700, D600 and a D300s with some good nikon glass and are very pleased with the results and wont be getting rid of them as I feel they still have a place in my photography world..

But a while ago I did purchase a sony rx100 for use when I didnt want to lug a dslr around, I know a lot of people use the Rx100 and are very pleased with them ( I have got quite a few images from the Rx 100 uploaded without any problems ) but for me, I am just not over happy with the images from the rx100 ( I know that it is not fair to compare the images from the rx to the d700 with the 24-70 2.8  lens ) but I find they are not even close.

So I have been looking for something smaller but it must produce good quality images and have been looking at the nex 6 / 7 and the X-T1 at the moment the X-T1 seems to have the edge to me ( please feel free to let me know if you feel different, and why ) for those of you that have been using the X-T1 and nikon full frame cameras with good glass along side of each other how does the IQ of the X-T1 match up to the nikon in both good and not so good light.

Last question, if I pull the plug and purchase the X-T1 is it worth buying it with the kit lens ( which I have been told is a reasonable lens ) I would be mainly using the camera for walking about and mainly at the wide end.. ( still got my nikon 70- 200...300 f4 and sigma 50-500 for longer reach stuff.

Cheers for any replies, Steve.

I've had all of the cameras you mention and really wasn't that happy with the RX100 or the follow up one. I think when you look at a lot of images from full frame sensors,images from a 1 inch sensor you do notice where the smaller size lacks.Though this is an excellent camera for certain things and especially where you can't use your DSLR.

I had the FUji XT1 and it really has a lot of plusses. I sold for the fact that I bought all the best lenses and my camera bag ended up being just as heavy as my DSLR. I had problems with mirrorless when I brought it on a couple of red carpet shoots. It just didn't want to lock focus. I had my flash with a bracket and wasn't getting what I wanted. So,that being said I realize that this system can do A LOT,it just couldn't do what I needed it to do for my bread and butter photography and had to go back to my Canon full frame and sell the Fuji. I have right now the Canon EOS M. It's ok...at least w/  the 22mm f2 lens. Good for ebay stuff and and carrying around. Nothing to get excited about.It was crazy cheap though...Under $400 w/kit lens.

The Fuji 18-55mm kit lens is probably the best kit lens I have ever used.I used it with the X Pro 1 and XE1 as well. It's sharp wide open.

L

Thanks for the reply Linda, I think I will go with the X-T1 and 18-55 and possibly the 14mm 2.8 or the 10-24 at a later date, I think that will do as I only want the camera for when I am  walking about and don't fancy carrying a full frame DSLR. other than that I will still be using my full frame Dslr's and nice glass.

I think my problem with the RX100 ( which I still have and  use for certain things ) was the fact that I am used to using either my Nikon D600 or D700 with 24-70 2.8,    70-200 2.8,   20mm 50mm & 60mm primes and might have expected a bit much from the  RX100... I am hoping the X-T1 is a bit closer to my expectations.

Steve.

I picked up the X-T1 last week with the 18-55 lens and have used it quite a lot over the last few days, and have found it to be a good lightweight camera and easy to carry about ,when I don't need my dslr which I won't be giving up...( I have found that the X-T1 does have it's limitations, but I found that if if kept the right side of those limitations it is a very useable camera ) I will probably end up getting something wider than the the 18-55 at a later date maybe a 14 mm or perhaps a 10-24.

But what I want to know is , some of you must have had a chance to use the 18-135 by now and I was wondering how sharp it is ( I am used to my nikon full frame cameras and good quality glass I like my images reasonably sharp..has anyone used both the 18-55 and the 18- 135 if so how do they compare . I would be grateful of any info as I am thinking about getting the 18-135 for its water / dust sealing capabilities ( providing it is not to big / heavy and still gives good image quality )

Thanks for reading, Steve.

I picked up the X-T1 last week with the 18-55 lens and have used it quite a lot over the last few days, and have found it to be a good lightweight camera and easy to carry about ,when I don't need my dslr which I won't be giving up...( I have found that the X-T1 does have it's limitations, but I found that if if kept the right side of those limitations it is a very useable camera ) I will probably end up getting something wider than the the 18-55 at a later date maybe a 14 mm or perhaps a 10-24.

But what I want to know is , some of you must have had a chance to use the 18-135 by now and I was wondering how sharp it is ( I am used to my nikon full frame cameras and good quality glass I like my images reasonably sharp..has anyone used both the 18-55 and the 18- 135 if so how do they compare . I would be grateful of any info as I am thinking about getting the 18-135 for its water / dust sealing capabilities ( providing it is not to big / heavy and still gives good image quality )

Thanks for reading, Steve.

Me too, I would like to know what the real world performance of the 18-135mm is like. I have the voucher etc but it will not add to my coverage as I have the 55-200mm , just gives convenience of a one lens (perhaps 2 if I take 10-24) outfit for most travel/ news/ stock purposes.

I have both, and I feel the 18-135 competes very well with the 18-55.  I've used it long, and I've used it up close with great results.  At 135, you can get up close to macro things, like flowers, etc., and get surprisingly good bokeh.  This was an unexpected bonus for me since Fuji only has one macro lens, and it is 1:2 with iffy AF. I'm waiting for a proper macro from Fuji.  That said, using it as a macro, one needs to have the shutter speed up or the images can be soft due to camera shake.

I used the 18-135 to photograph hummingbird moths and it performed admirably, especially since the moths move at lightning speed. I would say my ratio of keepers was just as good as with my Nikon and 105 macro. The non-keepers of both is because the moth moves OOF just as you press the shutter. That's the nature of shooting those moths!! :)

The AF seems very good and snappy.  I worked it out at the lake taking pictures of the marina and everything was sharp. Distortion on the edges at 18 was almost negligible. I will probably sell my 18-55.  For awhile, the 56mm stayed on my camera, now it is the 18-135.  Surprisingly, I don't use the 18-55 much in spite of it being a very sharp and lightweight lens.  But then I'm used to zooms with more reach.  It comes down to shooting style.

As far as size/weight, I guess I'm not the best person to ask about this.  The 18-135 doesn't seem weighty at all to me, but since I've been shooting with the D800 and mostly with the 80-400 or 24-70, the lens seems a feather.  Long time Fuji users who have always shot wide angle primes, would say it is a beast.   I could easily carry the camera/lens combo all day with no problem, and that is with arthritic hands I've had since in my 20s.  In other words, the size/weight is a subjective matter.

If you have a shop where you can actually handle this lens, take a memory card with you and snap off a few shots,  and I think you will like it.

Betty

I have found that the X-T1 does have it's limitations, but I found that if if kept the right side of those limitations it is a very useable camera

As I'm due to pick mine up on Friday, I would be interested to know what you feel are its limitations.

Alan

I have found that the X-T1 does have it's limitations, but I found that if if kept the right side of those limitations it is a very useable camera

As I'm due to pick mine up on Friday, I would be interested to know what you feel are its limitations.

Alan

I normally use a D600 or D700 and lenses like 24-70 2.8, 70-200 2.8 ( together they make pretty quick and sharp focusing ) but using the X-T1 at the weekend whilst walking about I found that say if some cyclists were coming towards me and I picked up the X-T1 focus shoot a few frames in continuous mode I would get some in focus but not all of them ( Use my full frame and 24-70 and you knew they would all be sharp ) the other thing you can see the first frame in focus but after that I found it to be a bit of a blur in the EVF, it may be the way I have set it up ( but I have done a fair bit of research in setting it up ) but in My opinion in those circumstances it doesn't match a dslr with good glass.. So I won't be using it for Motorsport etc ( although I know others say they get good results shooting Motorsport ) I suppose I am just finding the X-T1 a bit slower to use compared to what I am used to.

Having said all of the above I will certainly keeping the camera and adding to my lenses for it, as for general walking around street photography stuff it is light, small and easy to carry ( have ordered some extra batteries for it as I found they didn't last to long... Might have been me playing about with it whist setting it up while I was out and about ) all in all a good little lightweight camera which I shouldn't really compare to dslr as in all honesty the whole camera lens setup cost less than some of my dslr lenses alone ..

Thanks Betty, that was what my instinct was telling me. Like you I have always tended to shoot at the longer end; my walk around lens on Canon FF is the 24-105 and I often use a 70-200 or much longer but then I have shot sport since I first got serious about photography. The way I hold a camera and lenses means the centre of gravity is always between my hands so front heavy is meaningless for me; my left hand is always close to the front of the lens - even on the 18-55mm. I have recently been playing with the X-T1 with a big Tamron 300mm f2.8 MF lens (and 1.4x and 2x convertors) and found it manageable even without the grip (which I would use with such a big lens normally). The X-T1 is not really much smaller or lighter than the Canon T90 film cameras I used that lens with for sport.

I am pleased to hear the quality is good even though we should expect that with Fuji XF track record to date.

I would like to say I feel it coming - anybody know when you will be able to but the XT1 with 18-135 package ( and likely price ) ?

On the subject of Fuji, I'm guessing that the new X30 is not going to be any great improvement over the X20 or X10 as far as Alamy QC is concerned ? Shame cos it looks a nicely designed camera.

Geoff

Hi

I use a Novoflex adaptor which will adjust the aperture with  Nikon G lenses. It's works although there is trial and error as to which aperture you are using except at the extremes

regards

John

Hi

I use a Novoflex adaptor which will adjust the aperture with  Nikon G lenses. It's works although there is trial and error as to which aperture you are using except at the extremes

regards

John

Thanks for the info, John.

Archived