X-T1 - I can feel it coming

I would like to say I feel it coming - anybody know when you will be able to but the XT1 with 18-135 package ( and likely price ) ?

On the subject of Fuji, I'm guessing that the new X30 is not going to be any great improvement over the X20 or X10 as far as Alamy QC is concerned ? Shame cos it looks a nicely designed camera.

Geoff

Photokina (sp) is coming up with some new Fuji cameras. Who knows what will eventually be offered?

I've been testing the 18-135 for about 10-14 days now, trying to get used to it and learn it's strengths and weaknesses before committing it to outdoor winter use in the mountains etc.

Coming from mainly primes (14,23,56,60), I've been spoilt with perfect sharpness and OOF rendering and it took a little bit of establishing what the best f/stops for maximum sharpness were for the 18-135 but once worked out, consistent results started appearing. At it's widest aperture it is a little soft but not to the point that it can't be sharpened. It's sweet spot is around f/11 but anywhere from f/8 to f/13 produced really sharp shots. I also like shooting this at a min speed of 125, even with the 5 stop IS. 

As a result, this lens didn't shine straight out of the box and it took a good few days to get to know it..... if you buy it, spend some quality time with it to work out it's strengths etc.... it will reward you if you do!

Compared to the 55-200 it is smaller, has no lens creep (as yet). That always annoys me with the 55-200 when it's on the Capture Clip system on my backpack. The lens points downwards and after only a few minutes the lens is always at full length! The 18-135 is not as sharp and I prefer the bokeh of the 55-200. It's a little less nerves and more pleasing to the eye (for me anyway). When compared to the 56mm, it's night and day but then again, the 56 beats most lenses. The 18-135 does appear to be faster at locking focus than the 55-200 though.

Weather proofing. This will be it's main purpose for me, I want it for mixed / crap weather days in the mountains. Not wanting to leave things to chance and wanting to have complete confidence in leaving my camera attached to the shoulder strap of my backpack in torrential rain, I thought I better test it. I attached the 18-135 to the X-T1 and placed it into a cold shower..... let it run for a few minutes and then started using it while under the shower. Pressing buttons, zooming in and out as well as flipping the screen etc. Well, it still works :D so when I was out this weekend and there was a heavy shower that lasted about 10 minutes I didn't think twice about leaving it out on my backpack..... the weather sealing seems to do it's job rather nicely!! Still felt somewhat wrong though  :P.

I think it's a good general purpose lens that can do a lot of things very well (excellently if you include the ability to sit in the rain). I would, whenever possible, always use my primes when I have the time as the quality is a lot better..... not just in terms of sharpness but the way the primes render the out of focus areas. 

Weaknesses. I would say the 18mm side for sure.... the edges are softish.... not to bad but not what I would want if I was shooting anything other than a walkabout stock shot. 

If you don't need the weather proofing or the convenience of the wide focal range, the 18-55 is a better option, stronger at the 18mm end..... but that 18-135 is very convenient!

I've been testing the 18-135 for about 10-14 days now, trying to get used to it and learn it's strengths and weaknesses before committing it to outdoor winter use in the mountains etc.

Coming from mainly primes (14,23,56,60), I've been spoilt with perfect sharpness and OOF rendering and it took a little bit of establishing what the best f/stops for maximum sharpness were for the 18-135 but once worked out, consistent results started appearing. At it's widest aperture it is a little soft but not to the point that it can't be sharpened. It's sweet spot is around f/11 but anywhere from f/8 to f/13 produced really sharp shots. I also like shooting this at a min speed of 125, even with the 5 stop IS. 

As a result, this lens didn't shine straight out of the box and it took a good few days to get to know it..... if you buy it, spend some quality time with it to work out it's strengths etc.... it will reward you if you do!

Compared to the 55-200 it is smaller, has no lens creep (as yet). That always annoys me with the 55-200 when it's on the Capture Clip system on my backpack. The lens points downwards and after only a few minutes the lens is always at full length! The 18-135 is not as sharp and I prefer the bokeh of the 55-200. It's a little less nerves and more pleasing to the eye (for me anyway). When compared to the 56mm, it's night and day but then again, the 56 beats most lenses. The 18-135 does appear to be faster at locking focus than the 55-200 though.

Weather proofing. This will be it's main purpose for me, I want it for mixed / crap weather days in the mountains. Not wanting to leave things to chance and wanting to have complete confidence in leaving my camera attached to the shoulder strap of my backpack in torrential rain, I thought I better test it. I attached the 18-135 to the X-T1 and placed it into a cold shower..... let it run for a few minutes and then started using it while under the shower. Pressing buttons, zooming in and out as well as flipping the screen etc. Well, it still works :D so when I was out this weekend and there was a heavy shower that lasted about 10 minutes I didn't think twice about leaving it out on my backpack..... the weather sealing seems to do it's job rather nicely!! Still felt somewhat wrong though  :P.

I think it's a good general purpose lens that can do a lot of things very well (excellently if you include the ability to sit in the rain). I would, whenever possible, always use my primes when I have the time as the quality is a lot better..... not just in terms of sharpness but the way the primes render the out of focus areas. 

Weaknesses. I would say the 18mm side for sure.... the edges are softish.... not to bad but not what I would want if I was shooting anything other than a walkabout stock shot. 

If you don't need the weather proofing or the convenience of the wide focal range, the 18-55 is a better option, stronger at the 18mm end..... but that 18-135 is very convenient!

Thanks for the info Duncan, very useful...

But then, the 55-200 can't take that wide angle shot... :)

I'm psyching myself up for the trauma of shelling out £800 for the 10-24.

Alan

I went through that especially as I am not really a big user of wide angles. But I think it was worth it; it is a great lens and have used it more than I expected and expect it to use it frequently now I am travelling more.

Alan

Yep similar thing here, but cant make my mind up to go with the 14mm or the 10-24 ....

I actually do have the 10-24.  Great lens, sharp, but I have never shot this wide before and I need to sharpen my technique.  I plan on giving it a workout soon.  I can't say about the 14.  But then I have always been a fan of zooms because I can stand in one place and get two different-looking images.  Sometimes, because of surroundings, I can't always zoom with my feet.  

Most often, it's not a case of zooming with my feet, but being able to back up for the 2nd shot. If I am square against a building or such, I can back up any farther.

I can stand in one place and get two different-looking images.

I also like the ability to frame shots a little bit wider than I want if I'm looking upwards, so there's a bit of spare space when I come to correct the verticals in PS.

Alan

Alan

Yep similar thing here, but cant make my mind up to go with the 14mm or the 10-24 ....

I wouldn't mind testing out the 10-24 to see how it performs compared to the 14mm..... which is stella. Relatively small lens as well.

I can stand in one place and get two different-looking images.

I also like the ability to frame shots a little bit wider than I want if I'm looking upwards, so there's a bit of spare space when I come to correct the verticals in PS.

Alan

Me too.

My second X-T1 has arrived. :)

Had a redundant Leica lens in the cupboard not being used so did an excellent deal with my local camera shop and he did a swap (no cash changing hands) for the X-T1 plus other bits.

Now I have this second body I will be disposing of my X-E2 and the 18-55 lens as I have the 18-135 lens now which I am happy with.

Also not happy with the 60mm lens and it is not used so will be disposing of that, and a 27mm lens too.

I am going with the two X-T1 bodies and 10-24, 18-135, 55-200 lenses and, when it comes out at end of 2015, the new super zoom. With this combo I should have all areas covered and still at much reduced weight compared to the Canon outfit I used to lug around. ;)

Allan

Allan, it is good to hear that you are happy with the 18-135mm as I have been blowing hot and cold on buying it. I have pretty much decided to go with it, possibly at the expense of my 18-55 & 55-200 - see rather long my post about rediscovering my dslr!

I do love shooting sport - perhaps the X-T2 will have it covered but the Fuji is not there yet; it is not just about a different technique. Viewfinder is fine but I had forgotten just how good dslr AF is in comparison.

Allan, it is good to hear that you are happy with the 18-135mm as I have been blowing hot and cold on buying it. I have pretty much decided to go with it, possibly at the expense of my 18-55 & 55-200 - see rather long my post about rediscovering my dslr!

I do love shooting sport - perhaps the X-T2 will have it covered but the Fuji is not there yet; it is not just about a different technique. Viewfinder is fine but I had forgotten just how good dslr AF is in comparison.

I would say sacrifice the 18-55 first. I'm keeping a hold of the 55-200 for a while yet. I'd say it has the edge on IQ but I want to be 100% happy with the 18-135 before I'd considering losing it.

I am a while away from making a decision and, like you, I will want to satisfy myself that the 18-135mm is up to the job as I am seeking to raise my game so don't want to go backwards on quality. But for travel 200mmm equivalent will do. I mainly use long lenses for sport and I will stay with my Canon kit for that for a few more years. I would need the money from giving up the two lenses (and redundant Canon equiment) to help fund the update of my dslr outfit. I will probably need a body (with lower noise) and the (forthcoming new?)100-400mm lens. I used the old one for a short while last year until it had to go back. I bought it used and it started to show known problems so I decided to see if the expected new version was going to be announced, still waiting like many others.

Anyway no decisions this side of Photokina!

Archived