Stock sales are so poor now and so many people in it that I'm going to sell all my dslr gear and just carry around a compact in a pouch on my belt. I am looking at the sony rx100 km 3. Would this be an accepted camera by alamy? If not what can I buy. I want a belt case camera. Tired of carrying anything over shoulder or in hand. Thanks

i can understand your feelings in regard to cutting back on gear,  i often wonder if it is worth carrying around big heavy pro gear worth thousands of $$$ when it seems that my RX100 mk1 gets good enough results to pass QC 95% of the time for stock photography,  of course this is good if you only supply Alamy, i am sure some other suppliers would not accept the RX100 series as they prefer dslr's,  i know of 1.

Don't  be to hasty in selling your dslr,  there will always be a time when only a dslr will get that all important shot,  fast action photography is a good example.

For me the RX series is good for a carry around,  but not good enough to replace my dslr system.

I also think the dslr system would be more robust and live longer.

THINK' before saying goodbye to the dslr.

Paul.

Well it will be lighter and yes it's on the alamy recommended camera list

Lots of shooters here use it

Sorry, but the RX100 mk3 is not (yet) on the Alamy recommended list. Neither is the mk2. Alamy too often drag their feet assessing new cameras. It took them ages to approve the NEX-6 and the RX10. 

i can understand your feelings in regard to cutting back on gear,  i often wonder if it is worth carrying around big heavy pro gear worth thousands of $$$ when it seems that my RX100 mk1 gets good enough results to pass QC 95% of the time for stock photography,  of course this is good if you only supply Alamy, i am sure some other suppliers would not accept the RX100 series as they prefer dslr's,  i know of 1.

Don't  be to hasty in selling your dslr,  there will always be a time when only a dslr will get that all important shot,  fast action photography is a good example.

For me the RX series is good for a carry around,  but not good enough to replace my dslr system.

I also think the dslr system would be more robust and live longer.

THINK' before saying goodbye to the dslr.

Paul.

Basically I share your over-all opinion here, Paul . . . but in the world of stock photography, I'd love to have you tell me what "that all important shot" is. We'd all like to know what that is. I plan to sell my many DSLRs and the optics for them but not to switch to a limited RX100 mk3 or an iPhone. I'm using the lighter, smaller RX10 and NEX cameras. 

Basically I share your over-all opinion here, Paul . . . but in the world of stock photography, I'd love to have you tell me what "that all important shot" is. We'd all like to know what that is

Err!  you got me there Ed,

i guess what i was trying to say is with the dslr being faster in capturing a image,  there is a better chance of getting the shot that may be a seller,  now i am talking about quick changing situations, not setups where time is of plenty.

Paul.

Ah, the Decisive Moment! I think that's an appropriate tangent to the topic here. While some cameras are quicker on the draw than others, one must anticipate the Moment rather than catch up to it, so which camera we use may not be so important. Being intuative is more important. Walking around, I keep the camera turned on, so I don't have to wait for it to warm up . . . and yes I carry extra batteries.  :)

I sold my DSLR this year and don't regret it so far. My Sony NEX cameras are working fine for the type of general travel and walk-around photography that I do. When/if finances permit, I'm also going to look into picking up one of the pocket-able RX100 cameras. I don't see why the mk3 wouldn't be acceptable to Alamy as they approved the original mk1. As NYC Ed mentioned, it can take a long time for new cameras to appear on "the list."

The only reason I could see for buying another DSLR is if I suddenly decided to get serious about doing more technically demanding stuff like wildlife photography or chasing fleet-footed celebrities, which is pretty doubtful at this point.

Lot's of good advice here,  nothing unusual, we all try to help where we can.

I am not sure about the picture quality improvements on the mk3 over the mk1,  however my mk1 suffers light fall off down the horizontal sides with a little magenta added,  not noticeable on all images more so on landscape,  my advice is to check your new mk3 to see if you have the same problem,  having said that Alamy QC passes my mk1 photos.

Paul.

Using the RX100 Mk 1 with no problems to date.

If you wish to dump your DSLR etc suggest you consider X-T1 or NEX 6 just in case you need to supply another agency/library.

Allan

The reviews on the mark 3 state a vastly improved lens. I find that my best selling shots were taken opportunisty so I want something that is always with me. I have virtually lost interest in setting up for shots. Most of my great ideas never sold so frig it. For me lugging a lot of gear is unproductive.

Still using my RX100 MK1.  have now uploaded hundreds of images to Alamy.  Two failures - both my fault.  Chanced a handheld night shot.  The overall image was impressive but a bit softer than I would normally submit.  As it was a dusk cityscape with sunset I thought it might be accepted as creative.

The lens does soften slightly toward the edges but if they have improved this on the MK3 then it will be a hard camera to beat in the compact world.

John

I am still happy with my Mk1 after 17 months of use.   Hundreds of its images on Alamy no failures (yet).  

If it were to get wrecked, stolen or lost I would replace it immediately.   I would probably get a Mk2 rather than a Mk3.   The screen is so good that I do not need the EVF and the extra reach in the 28-100 lens is very useful.   And at 70 EFL you still get f4.   The only reason for a Mk2 rather than another Mk1 is that tilt screen could save me some bending down...

I am still happy with my Mk1 after 17 months of use.   Hundreds of its images on Alamy no failures (yet).  

If it were to get wrecked, stolen or lost I would replace it immediately.   I would probably get a Mk2 rather than a Mk3.   The screen is so good that I do not need the EVF and the extra reach in the 28-100 lens is very useful.   And at 70 EFL you still get f4.   The only reason for a Mk2 rather than another Mk1 is that tilt screen could save me some bending down...

Peter, do the Mk1 and Mk2 have the same zoom -- i.e. 28-100?

Yes.

Allan

Sorry to butt in Peter.

Yes.

Allan

Sorry to butt in Peter.

Allan,

Thanks for answering for me, I was out shooting a cattle auction...

Thanks, Peter and Allan (What a team!).

I seem to remember hearing a rumour that the lens on the Mk2 was not as good IQ-wise as the one on the original Mk1. Is that so?

I heard that too John. Not sure what the final cause was but if you remember there where some who were not happy with MkI lens and returned the camera to makers for repair.

Allan

I seem to remember hearing a rumour that the lens on the Mk2 was not as good IQ-wise as the one on the original Mk1. Is that so?

I heard that too John. Not sure what the final cause was but if you remember there where some who were not happy with MkI lens and returned the camera to makers for repair.

Allan

Right, oh well, so much for rumours. I've been looking at these nifty little cameras as there are some deals on the Mk2 (love the tilting screen) now that the Mk3 is out. Wishful thinking, though, with my budget.

Allan

Right, oh well, so much for rumours. I've been looking at these nifty little cameras as there are some deals on the Mk2 (love the tilting screen) now that the Mk3 is out. Wishful thinking, though, with my budget.

Don't know about Canadian market but it is still possible to buy a new MkI in the UK. Never had a fail with images from my MkI.

Allan

Allan

Don't know about Canadian market but it is still possible to buy a new MkI in the UK. Never had a fail with images from my MkI.

Allan

There are still a few kicking around here as well. I really like tilting screens, though. 

Allan

I posted on the old forum about poor IQ with the mark 2. I didn't have the mark 1 so couldn't do any kind of comparison.

To be fair I think the cause may have been a defect in a batch of lenses. I seem to remember the word "de-centering" being used at the time. It would seem to focus reasonably well on one side, but hopelessly out on the other. The same problem was reported by a lot of UK buyers.

I gave up on it after only a few days and took it back to the shop, and haven't attempted to go back to it since. I have to say though that it was a nifty little camera and would be interested to hear peoples experience with the mark 3.

Thinking about it, I may have posted about it on this forum!

Archived