Yes indeed. This is normal. During the past five weeks, I've had no sales and even few zooms. The week before that, I had four solid sales. I would say that this has nothing to do with the health of Alamy at all. It may reflect in photographer mental health though.

Thanks everyone...wow, John, that is impressive! What is the secret of your success? Congrats!

Thanks, I have a lot of repeat sellers and images that are quite difficult to find. They are what keep me afloat.

As I said, enjoying it while it lasts...

...18 zooms and 0 sales! Please tell me that it is normal to have such numbers and Alamy is in good health. It seems like the whole thing is pulling my leg....

V.

Same advice as when you last asked about poor sales - don't offer poor images. Still more grey skies been added to rest.

Look at what's used in magazines/travel brochures etc.....see many grey skies or architectural details....few and far between. Unless you offer better, clients won't buy.

More of the same results in more of the same........always will....

18 zooms so far this month is pretty good going with a portfolio of 3,558 pics. Sales are a bit slow for me at the moment too. I noticed that you seem to have a lot of similars. Is this affecting your ranking? Have you checked out your BHZ position? Great pics, not surprised buyers are zooming.

dov

18 zooms so far this month is pretty good going with a portfolio of 3,558 pics. Sales are a bit slow for me at the moment too. I noticed that you seem to have a lot of similars. Is this affecting your ranking? Have you checked out your BHZ position? Great pics, not surprised buyers are zooming.

dov

19 zooms and 0 sales in two months, actually...thanks, guys for tips and suggestions.... I think I offer a pretty diversified port, though. From macro, to architectural details, to landmarks, crowds etcetera.... Blue skies and grey skies are both present and my last sales were actually photo taken in gloomy Toronto Winter days. I used to be very happy with the 2-3 monthly sales on Alamy, until a year ago, then the struggle started!

Now I also have huge problems uploading pics, the last batch was rejected after 3 weeks and still shows "awaiting QC". I got to know about the rejection comtacting them.... Total Alamy crisis for me...

Well, maybe I am not doing too badly.

In July 2013 I started the month with 6460 images on offer.    I had 30 Zooms and 9 sales $175 total gross.

This month, I started the month with 7856 images on offer.    So far, I have had 16 Zooms and 5 sales $322 total gross. I very often get sales right at the month end, so there could be more next week.

The last time I had a month with zero sales was December 2009, when I had 2605 on sale.

This July to date only one sale and 30 zooms with 5890 images. Last month 14 sales 36 zooms, month before that 4 sales and 30 zooms.

Like Peter I often see sales come in on the last day of the month, presumably an accountancy thing. Usually low cost newspaper scheme deals.

Like John, many of my sales are repeats, it is useful to find a niche which provides a steady if unexceptional demand.

You need to be realistic.  I don't get out of bed before dawn to capture the sunrise for live news, I don't go to obscure and/or possibly dangerous places, I don't do any photo journalism. Often I am accompanied by my wife who is reasonably patient, but I need to work within restricted timescales. Given my level of commitment to the cause, I can't expect miracles. Further, as the image libraries grow it becomes increasingly difficult unless you have a very large portfolio. 

This July to date only one sale and 30 zooms with 5890 images. Last month 14 sales 36 zooms, month before that 4 sales and 30 zooms.

Like Peter I often see sales come in on the last day of the month, presumably an accountancy thing. Usually low cost newspaper scheme deals.

Like John, many of my sales are repeats, it is useful to find a niche which provides a steady if unexceptional demand.

You need to be realistic.  I don't get out of bed before dawn to capture the sunrise for live news, I don't go to obscure and/or about possible possibly dangerous places, I don't do any photo journalism. Often I am accompanied by my wife who is reasonably patient, but I need to work within restricted timescales. Given my level of commitment to the cause, I can't expect miracles. Further, as the image libraries grow it becomes increasingly difficult unless you have a very large portfolio. 

Bryan,

The situation you describe in your last paragraph is very much like mine.    I too have a reasonably patient wife that comes along.   You can't hang about too long, but she is very supportive, does watch my back when I am shooting and often makes useful suggestions about possible pictures.    Stock photography is maybe the only branch of the art in which you can work this rather casual way and daiily get useful images that can prove your worth by being paid for.    Miracles don't happen very often, but my highest price sale so far ($1200) was a street shot of a bunch of students eating their sandwiches on some steps in Durham City centre.   You need to keep alert all the time to picture possibilities,  as well as knowing when to say "Let's get some lunch now".

Bryan,

The situation you describe in your last paragraph is very much like mine.    I too have a reasonably patient wife that comes along.   You can't hang about too long, but she is very supportive, does watch my back when I am shooting and often makes useful suggestions about possible pictures.    Stock photography is maybe the only branch of the art in which you can work this rather casual way and daiily get useful images that can prove your worth by being paid for.    Miracles don't happen very often, but my highest price sale so far ($1200) was a street shot of a bunch of students eating their sandwiches on some steps in Durham City centre.   You need to keep alert all the time to picture possibilities,  as well as knowing when to say "Let's get some lunch now".

My missus is sometimes very helpful too, but she tends to regard photography as  "a good walk spoiled"!

Great result with that Durham sale. I have yet to break the 4 figure barrier, but my most remunerative and my best selling shots were both taken there. Horrible place incidentally if anyone else is reading this, always cold and wet with very unfriendly natives, most unsuitable for photography  :)  

Bryan,

My missus is sometimes very helpful too, but she tends to regard photography as  "a good walk spoiled"!

Great result with that Durham sale. I have yet to break the 4 figure barrier, but my most remunerative and my best selling shots were both taken there. Horrible place incidentally if anyone else is reading this, always cold and wet with very unfriendly natives, most unsuitable for photography  :)  

Nice to know I'm not the only one with a patient(ish) wife. Agree wholeheartedly with knowing when to say 'It's time for lunch'!

Archived