Using a memory card from one camera to the next

I now have the Sony RX100 M3.  Not that I didn't love the original RX100, but dang it, I lost it.  I think I left it in the seat beside me at a restaurant and of course, nobody knows anything.

I considered getting the same one, but decided on the M3 because of the pop up viewfinder and ND filter.  I put a card into it that I took out of a small bag of new cards I bought last fall.  Apparently, that card was one that had been used previously.  I can't figure out why it didn't work otherwise.  I took the Sony shopping with me yesterday and got some neat shots. Shots that just weren't there when I tried to download them.

Funny thing, I could review the images in camera, but when I tried to download the card to my computer, there was nothing there that showed up, anyway.  The three writings were: DCIM  mp root    Private.  I always click on DCIM and that's where the images always are.

I never saw a folder named Private, ever.  I checked all 3 folders and no pictures in any of them.

I took the card out of my Fuji X-T1 and put it in the Sony and formatted it.  Snapped a half dozen pictures, same thing.  No images.  Yet when I put it back in the Fuji, the old Fuji images I had already downloaded were there. Formatting the card in the Sony didn't delete the Fuji images.

I went back to my little bag of cards and put in what I hoped was brand new and unused rated 10 card. Formatted it. It works.  So it is really true when they say not to use one card from camera to camera.  I can't figure out why if it is reformatted, but hey, the proof was in the pudding.

Just sayin'.

Betty

Hi Betty,

My RX100 Mk1 does have PRIVATE

Opening the card in Windows Explorer I get:

AVF_INFO

DCIM

MPROOT

PRIVATE

Within DCIM is 100MSDCF in which there are the image files

Within PRIVATE I find AVCHD under which there are other mysterious things to do with video.

Within PRIVATE I also find SONY in which there is SONYCARD.IND

I mention this as you say you never saw PRIVATE before.

I am mystified by the whole thing, normally I find images DCIM/100MSDCF and that is that.

I don't do video much but as far as I can remember I found them in AVF_INFO

Sorry you lost the Mk 1 and I hope you enjoy the Mk3.

ND filter is handy in bright light. (I have it on the RX10)

I systematically reformat all cards twice every time I put them in a camera, I have four cameras, and have never had an issue. Did you try to download from the camera or a card reader? It could be that transferring the card without reformatting partially changed the data.

dov

When removing or inserting cards always switch the camera off. Sorry if it is teaching suck eggs time but it is so simple to forget if in a hurry.

Allan

Did you try re-formatting in the computer?

No, I reformatted in camera, as everything I've read said that was the best way.  I used to format on the computer a few years ago until reading to do it in camera.

Allan, yes, I always make sure the camera is off before removing/inserting card. :) (sucking eggs)

And I am using a card reader.  The only time I've ever inserted a card into a computer has been with my laptop for fun stuff or when on vacation, but for my stock images, I always download to my iMac when I'm home.

Peter, good to know what "Private" is there for!  That one had me scratching my head.

I wish there was some way to recover the images on the card, but hey, I can reshoot them.  Most were of store fronts at the outlet mall.  Although a few can't be replicated. :(

I had a problem with Hoodman cards seeming to be incompatible with my D80. The Hoodman company was able to recover images for me but I hadn't deleted or reformatted the card. Now I stick to Lexar and Sandisk cards though I still have one Hoodman card that works fine with my newer cameras. I once had a Sandisk card that stopped being able to be formatted -- in my camera or someone else's. I sent it to SanDisk and they replaced it with no cost whatsoever to me. It was one of the more advanced cards so I'm not sure it would be replaced if it was a cheaper one. 

Paulette

I don't understand what went wrong with Betty's card. Like Paulette, I use only Lexar and Sandisk cards, and since I don't travel anymore, I don't have cards larger than 16GB. I think we should spread the risk by using two 16GB cards rather than one 32GB or larger card.

And unlike most people, I guess, I use a cable to transfer images from camera to computer. In the collective opinion of the Time Inc tech people the cable transfer is safer. (???) Once, long ago, I had a memory card fail . . . but it was a Mikey Mouse manufacturer's card. 

No, I reformatted in camera, as everything I've read said that was the best way.  I used to format on the computer a few years ago until reading to do it in camera.

It is and it isn't. Occasional formatting in the computer is needed (this is according to Fixation - top UK repair peops). Apparently continued camera-only can cause problems. I had to have to have a repair done which showed up as a card reading problem. IIRC (and don't quote me), a computer format gets to parts other formats don't reach. So I now use the comp' once in a blue moon - more so with the cards I have with the Magic Lantern hack on them.

If a computer format doesn't sort the issue, then a new card is probably in order.

Interesting.  Like Ed, I use 16gb cards.  My SD cards are shared between 2 Canon 5D MK III bodies, a Fuji XT-1 body, a Fuji X-Pro1 body, and a Fuji X100S.  After downloading images (via card reader slot in computer), I replace the cards into the camera and reformat.  I've never had a problem.  Most of my cards are Sandisk.

It is and it isn't. Occasional formatting in the computer is needed (this is according to Fixation - top UK repair peops). Apparently continued camera-only can cause problems. I had to have to have a repair done which showed up as a card reading problem. IIRC (and don't quote me), a computer format gets to parts other formats don't reach. So I now use the comp' once in a blue moon - more so with the cards I have with the Magic Lantern hack on them.

If a computer format doesn't sort the issue, then a new card is probably in order.

I no longer see an option to format my card on the computer.  I think probably since going to a Mac.  Before, with a PC, a right click offered eject and format.  The format just isn't there.  I'm sure there is a way, but I don't know it.

And I use SD cards.  Have always gone with the brand names. 

Betty

This might sound a bit obvious and probably won't work but have you tried dragging the individual folders to your desktop (thus disassociating them from any in card conflict) and then opening them. Might work.

Like Ed I always transfer images from card to computer via cable. No problems to date on my Mac.

Also format in camera as I was told that was the correct way, and is easiest anyway. No problems with this either.

Allan

Like Ed I always transfer images from card to computer via cable. No problems to date on my Mac.

Also format in camera as I was told that was the correct way, and is easiest anyway. No problems with this either.

Allan

Yes, Allan, I also format in camera. I'm not sure but formatting in each camera may well be somewhat different.  Logical? And with my Sony cameras I do as ReeRay is suggesting: I open the folders that appear on my desktop after the transfer until I get to the 100MSDCF folder.  I drag 'n drop that onto my desktop and watch the images download.  Then I change the 100 to my own ID number and drag 'n drop the folder into LR5 where I edit the RAW files and convert them to tiff files.  (It seems to be important to rename the folder. :rolleyes: )  

As you all must know, I'm not a schooled tech dude . . . but I get advice from some.  And I pay attention to Geoff and DavidK and otherss on this forum.

I don't see that Betty did anything wrong; she just had the rare bad luck of having a memory card fail.  Or there could be a problem with the new RX100 M3.  The digital world is far from perfect. 

I don't see that Betty did anything wrong either, but it seems to be more complicated than just one bad card.

The initial batch of images could be seen on the camera screen, so they must have been on that first card somewhere.

After that she took the card out of the Fuji - must be a good card - it worked OK there.   Formatted it the Sony - which should have wiped all the images and set up the (strange) Sony folders, but it did not - the Fuji images were still there.

The thing that I found rather strange, after not one but two cards that would not work after in-camera formatting, putting in a new card finally worked.   I am very pleased that it did, (although probably less so than Betty) but the reason for the initial failure is still a mystery. 

One really should be able to take any functioning card of the right type, format it in camera and just use it.  

I do not know what to suggest, but if it were mine I would start hunting the internet to see if anyone else had the same problem and then maybe send it back to Sony with the two cards that did not function, and ask them to fix it.  (When I sent my RX100 back to Sony for repair, they were prompt and very helpful).

This might sound a bit obvious and probably won't work but have you tried dragging the individual folders to your desktop (thus disassociating them from any in card conflict) and then opening them. Might work.

ReeRay, you are brilliant.

I just now got the time to drag the DCIM folder to the desktop. I only dragged that folder, not the other two. First, I had to find the card that had somehow gotten buried under some scratch papers on my desktop!

The computer spent about a minute or more copying files, so they were there!!  Then I opened Photoshop, accessed the folder, and VOILA!  All my images are there.  Weird, weird and more weird.

Thank you for thinking out of the box and saving my bacon.  Now I don't have to go out and shoot the same images all over.

Plus, there were some images of a particular flower, white hollyhocks, that had bloomed looking like an angel. 3 blooms, one for the skirt, two for wings and a large bud over them perfect for drawing a face onto.  Good stuff for FAA.  Those blooms were gone the next day, so no chance at getting that particular arrangement again.

ReeRay, if you were in my part of the world, I'd bake you a pie.

Betty

Archived